Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Orlando Sentinel Summary of Pre-Season Magazines

Orlando Sentinel Summary of Pre-Season Magazines

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/college/gators/orl-sportscollegemags03070308jul03,0,1080897.story

I like how we are ranked pretty highly but the "What they say about State Teams" section avoids us.

One person that commented (UCF fan) complained that we are above Miami and UCF.

I think we still ARE under the radar in the eyes of fans who will likely refuse to believe that FAU is that good.  Lets hope we live up to Phil Steele's expectations.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

Re: Orlando Sentinel Summary of Pre-Season Magazines

Also nice to note that we are the only team in the State with a consensus Conference Championship.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

I'm getting a little concerned about the hype.  Yeah, we had a great season last year, won a bowl game, and at the end of the season, we arguably were playing better than anyone in the state except UF.  But then I look back at all those close games – Minnesota, NT, ULL, Arkansas State – and wonder whether there would be this much talk if those games didn't break our way.  I suppose you could say that the good teams win those close games, but I can't help thinking that we were just as close to 9-4 or 10-3 as we were to 3-9.
Back to the top

I agree. We really need to mind the hype and not get too caught up in it.
Back to the top

This is the largest obstacle the team faces this year IMHO.

Dont buy into the hype too much, buy into your training, skills, and execution. Then the performace WILL match the hype.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

This is one reason why I'm happy we're playing a team like Texas for the first game, because if we go in there thinking "we're sunbelt champs, people picked us to win" and thats it, then we are going to get our butts handed to us, and if the team is going to do that, then getting spanked the first game of the season could benefit us. I really hope that that isnt the case and I think Coach won't let that happen. I'm sure he knows how to keep the boys humble.
Back to the top

If we are "cocky" because we won the New Orleans bowl than HS entire motto and attitude has not been passed to the team.  While the New Orleans bowl is a big feat for our program and a milestone, HS has been trying to get this team thinking about National Championship for a long time.  Now I know we are not even close to that yet, but the players should not be satisified and cocky until we are.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top
Control functions: