Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Stadium Funding

Add topic

I was wondering if FAU has considered another athletic fee hike.  An article from the Sun-Sentinel from 2005 stated that a $2 per credit hike would raise $1M a year.  That is equivalent to what we are looking for from a sponsor for naming rights.  I know its not popular, but that would only increase the cost of attendance by $50/yr for the average student @~24 credits a year.

Why not go this route until a sponsor is found, then pull an ole Republican tax cut out of the hat and make all the students even happier when they have a stadium and lower fees.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

Re: Stadium Funding

SeminOWL2006 said

I was wondering if FAU has considered another athletic fee hike.  An article from the Sun-Sentinel from 2005 stated that a $2 per credit hike would raise $1M a year.  That is equivalent to what we are looking for from a sponsor for naming rights.  I know its not popular, but that would only increase the cost of attendance by $50/yr for the average student @~24 credits a year.

Why not go this route until a sponsor is found, then pull an ole Republican tax cut out of the hat and make all the students even happier when they have a stadium and lower fees.

I would absolutely be for a $2 per credit hike. I would even be willing to pay more than that for the stadium.

But I doubt they'll raise it again.
Back to the top

The papers would go nuts...
Back to the top

Stadium Funding

Lago said

The papers would go nuts…

Why?  It's only tax and spend mentality at it's finest…the newspapers are plenty liberal enough to slide into bed with that type of thinking, right?

You know, where the development/leadership administrators say "we cant do our job, so we'll just force the students to pay for it with another fee"…and afterwards, "we won't give them control over any of the proceeds form their start up monies, and we'll say where that goes".

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Brilliant!

Of course you know i am being facetious here…

(not really)
Back to the top

I would tend to agree with your sentiment Florida_Owl BUT in this economy I am not surprised by it being difficult to get the donations and sponsorships we need.  At any other time a few years ago I would completely agree with you but right now I feel like this is a legitimate solution that should be looked at lest we not have a stadium built at all.  I mean even if its 25 cents more a credit hour, that would raise $125,000 a year which is not too shabby considering our situation.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

Well, as an alumnus I am fine with it. If the administration thinks they can swing it, then go for it. But be prepared for the editorials.
Back to the top

At this point in time, people would just go nuts. The trend is starting to change, but FAU is still a "settle" school for alot of people and raising tuition, even $1 would probably make people lose their minds. They don't care about FAU's stadium, they care about a year or two here saving money while staying at home and then off to UF, FSU UCF etc…
Back to the top

And that is exactly why we need to get this stadium done. It is not really about football, it is about having a "real" collegiate atmosphere so that students will want to be here and not elsewhere!l
Back to the top

FAUfasho said

At this point in time, people would just go nuts. The trend is starting to change, but FAU is still a "settle" school for alot of people and raising tuition, even $1 would probably make people lose their minds. They don't care about FAU's stadium, they care about a year or two here saving money while staying at home and then off to UF, FSU UCF etc…
 we shoudlnyt worry about the kids that want to leave the school should make it better for the kids that want to stay and shoudlnt care about the kids who want to leave
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

FAUfasho said

we shoudlnyt worry about the kids that want to leave the school should make it better for the kids that want to stay and shoudlnt care about the kids who want to leave

Exactly. This is going to change very soon. I mean, even 20 years from now you'll still have kids who want to transfer to UF or FSU… but we'll retain the rest because this is going to be an awesome school.
Back to the top
Control functions: