Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU gets $5.8 million for manatee saftey system

Add topic

http://www.fau.edu/explore/homepage-stories/2008-06manatee.php

Who thinks FAU is on its way to becoming one of the top marine biology universities in the country as well as a top bio med researcher? We have a 500 acre campus, Harbor Branch, dedicated to just marine biology. That campus even has its own submarines.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Re: FAU gets $5.8 million for manatee saftey system

FAU gets $5.8 million for manatee saftey system

Couple that with Dania and Boca Raton (some marine animal research labs at the beach) and yeh we are moving right along.  Its a geographic advantage FAU has.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

Who thinks FAU is on its way to becoming one of the top marine biology universities in the country as well as a top bio med researcher? We have a 500 acre campus, Harbor Branch, dedicated to just marine biology. That campus even has its own submarines.

Weren't we just thinking about closing the Harbor Branch?

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

illinoisowl said

No, I think there were discussing closing Sea Tech in Dania?
Back to the top

Lago said

walty12 said

illinoisowl said

No, I think there were discussing closing Sea Tech in Dania?

Right, they were discussing the closure of Sea Tech, although I don't know if that went through because the researchers there were complaining that some of their research was location-dependent and thus couldn't be replicated at Harbor Branch. After the budget crisis hit, it seemed like our absorption Harbor Branch was more of a chore than a blessing.

In terms of becoming a major marine bio player, it seems to me like we're only making progress on one front: opportunities. Fact is, we still have the same handful of marine bio researchers but now they have more options regarding how they can carry out their research. They had SeaTech, Everglades, Gumbo Limbo (did you know that one of their buildings is just for FAU research? I've helped a friend doing research there) and now Harbor Branch. But to push forward and be one of the big players, we need more marine bio researchers to use all the space. More researchers means more research being put into scientific journals and advancing FAU's name and reputation, which then motivates more graduate students to work here. I can see this happening since Brogan made a point of it in his CREST OF THE WAVE 2017 speech, about being a leader in marine bio and everglades restoration research.

Back to the top

I was just reading a presentation by an Energy consultant that is big in with the Oil Companies and they are recommending strongly that the oil companies shift towards ocean power generation, either through turbines, or through temperature differentials, or underwater vents.  I know that the folks at FAU are working on the first two, so its good to know we are on the cutting edge in a burgeoning new energy field.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top
Control functions: