Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Does FAU have a plan to work with Tri-Rail?

Considering the gas prices, does FAU have a plan to get students to the Boca Tri-Rail station in general and also for gamedays down at Lockhart.  If not why?  The station at Cypress Creek is down the street from Lockhart and the fares are cheap.

At the very least FAU should say that its available and have a bus down at the Cypress Station when the trains arrive to take fans over to Lockhart and then after the game shuttle them back.  If you are a fan living in West Palm Beach the train ride takes 40 minutes and is $4 roundtrip (for the weekend games).  I guarantee you cant get there and back on 1 gallon of gas, plus you dont have to pay for parking!

For a student roundtrip would only cost $2!

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

Re: Does FAU have a plan to work with Tri-Rail?

Makes sense, not just from a gas stadpoint but also to alleviate road congestion.  I don't know how many would take advantage, but it could help sell the city on the stadium because their big complaint (their big public complaint, at least, since I think there might be a hidden agenda) is traffic.  I'm pretty sure UM and the Dolphins still have deals with Tri-Rail and the bus to get people to and from games.
Back to the top

Actually I was only talking about Lockhart…. BUT if FAU can simply provide a bus that will ferry people from the Boca Tri-Rail station and back after the game (when we have a stadium) they can get out of alot of the traffic impact mitigation.  It also helps that a few thousand should be walking to the game from their dorms.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

Does FAU have a plan to work with Tri-Rail?

SeminOWL2006 said

Actually I was only talking about Lockhart…. BUT if FAU can simply provide a bus that will ferry people from the Boca Tri-Rail station and back after the game (when we have a stadium) they can get out of alot of the traffic impact mitigation.  It also helps that a few thousand should be walking to the game from their dorms.

I think it makes a lot of sense from a financial standpoint to students. A lot of students are unaware that Tri-Rail/Palm Trans have deals that can get students around pretty much wherever they need to be, from Orlando to Miami. For instance, you can take a Palm Tran to/from the Yamato Tri-Rail station for a couple of dollars a day, which would allow people to travel, say, from West Palm or Jupiter to the Boca campus every day.

Moving on to the game day situation…

At this time I don't believe there would be enough people interested in the bus from the Tri-Rail to Lockhart to justify the expense. It would be a hard sell to the university, even if it promotes Athletics. I'm sure Administration would look to Athletics to bankroll those buses and I'm sure Athletics would say, "Sorry, small budget, can't afford it."

I think it's a good idea but by the time we'd have a large enough group of people interested in that sort of set-up, we'd be in our home stadium. What I do imagine happening is a shuttle way down the line that brings people to the stadium on campus from off-campus (P.F. Chang's, Federal Highway, etc). If the fanbase ever really takes off and has 50,000 people coming to the game… you can imagine that Boca would request FAU do something so people can still drive on Glades/Spanish River.

But man… how cool is that going to be?  8)
Back to the top
Control functions: