Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Stadium proposals on Ted's blog

Add topic

Keep an eye on Ted's blog today. He is at the meeting where the stadium proposals are being discussed and things are sounding very pricey.

For new people: FAU Owls Blog - Latest Owls News, Video & More - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
Back to the top

Re: Stadium proposals on Ted's blog

Lago said

Keep an eye on Ted's blog today. He is at the meeting where the stadium proposals are being discussed and things are sounding very pricey.

For new people: FAU Owls Blog - Latest Owls News, Video & More - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Dont know about anybody else, but I dont think going small is necessarily a bad thing.  I would love to have a 15-20k stadium that is sold out every game and tickets are hard to come by.  My high school in Texas built a stadium almost that large (11,000, and its VERY nice, makes Boca High's new stadium look like a Middle School field)…if a town in the middle of texas can do it, a large University in Boca Raton has to be able to.

Dragon Stadium, Southlake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

If you check out the Colorado Rapids stadium its like 18,000 and very nice too http://www.dickssportinggoodspark.com/Stadium/Photos.aspx

$62M for that, which is our budget…

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

walty12 said

Lago said

Dont know about anybody else, but I dont think going small is necessarily a bad thing.  I would love to have a 15-20k stadium that is sold out every game and tickets are hard to come by.  My high school in Texas built a stadium almost that large (11,000, and its VERY nice, makes Boca High's new stadium look like a Middle School field)…if a town in the middle of texas can do it, a large University in Boca Raton has to be able to.

I agree that 20,000-25,000 is a great size as long as expansion to say 40,000 is considered when the original stadium is built.

The difference between Southlake Carroll and FAU is community support. That makes a huge difference when planning on building a stadium. Unfortunately community support is lacking in FAU's case. I am not only referring to support from Boca Raton, but also the academic community of FAU. I know that many of the faculty are against the stadium and the growth of the football program. They see it as a waste of money. Without support it is a hard sell.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

walty12 said

Lago said

I agree that 20,000-25,000 is a great size as long as expansion to say 40,000 is considered when the original stadium is built.

The difference between Southlake Carroll and FAU is community support. That makes a huge difference when planning on building a stadium. Unfortunately community support is lacking in FAU's case. I am not only referring to support from Boca Raton, but also the academic community of FAU. I know that many of the faculty are against the stadium and the growth of the football program. They see it as a waste of money. Without support it is a hard sell.

GO OWLS!!!

Waste of money?  Wow.  I would like to know how much money is brought in by UF's football program.  I would really like to know how much money is donated the year of a football championship compared to the year of a 7-5 season….I bet the difference is huge.

Back to the top

walty12 said

owlfan1 said

walty12 said

Lago said

GO OWLS!!!

Waste of money?  Wow.  I would like to know how much money is brought in by UF's football program.  I would really like to know how much money is donated the year of a football championship compared to the year of a 7-5 season….I bet the difference is huge.

It is a huge difference. However, a number of studies have been done pertaining to the income generating possibilities of football programs and most suggest that the vast majority of football programs do not make a whole lot of money. Schools like Michigan, Notre Dame, Florida, etc. tend to be the exception. I will try to find the study and post it.

GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

Here is one article that is interesting. The 2003 NCAA study that is mentioned in the article is what I was referring to in a previous post when referencing programs not making money.

http://www.zimbio.com/NCAA+Football/articles/17/Idiocy+Funding+College+Football

GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

owlfan1 said

Here is one article that is interesting. The 2003 NCAA study that is mentioned in the article is what I was referring to in a previous post when referencing programs not making money.

GO OWLS!!!

Yeah, I dont think it is so cut and dry.  I think a football program (winning) brings pride for your school which brings money in donations and gifts.  Furthermore, I am not willing to spend the time…but I bet the applications to schools like Hawaii go up a ton when they have a season like they just had, therefore football upgrades the talent of your student body.

Back to the top

Stadium proposals on Ted's blog

walty12 said

owlfan1 said

GO OWLS!!!

Yeah, I dont think it is so cut and dry.  I think a football program (winning) brings pride for your school which brings money in donations and gifts.  Furthermore, I am not willing to spend the time…but I bet the applications to schools like Hawaii go up a ton when they have a season like they just had, therefore football upgrades the talent of your student body.

I agree. It is pretty tricky. One thing that is evident is that success on the field results in an increase in applications. Boise State experienced a huge increase in applications after beating Oklahoma a few years back. Unfortunately as you note, it isn't cut and dry.

GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

I LOVE the idea of having 15,000 - 20,000 horseshaped stadium with the ability to
a) add bleachers in the open endzone (like Orange Bowl)
b) add permanent seats in the style of a second-tier (above 15-20k) or close horseshoe.

People banging down doors, camping out for seats, etc. is what we NEED. It generates interest.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top
Control functions: