Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Classy New York, Classy

Add topic

I'm sure some scumbag writer for the New York Post will come out and justify this in a future article.

Papelbon's pregnant wife reportedly felt threatened - MLB - ESPN

Red Sox closer Jonathan Papelbon blamed the New York media for creating a firestorm that resulted in his pregnant wife being threatened on Tuesday.

MLB.com reported that during a red carpet parade for the All-Star Game that went down Sixth Avenue in Manhattan, Papelbon and his wife Ashley were bombarded by insults from fans.

"I feel like I needed to be in a bullet-proof car," Papelbon said, according to the Web site. "My wife is pregnant and she's getting her life threatened. It's stupid."

Papelbon had said that he would welcome closing out the All-Star Game at Yankee Stadium even though its the home field of Mariano Rivera.

"I've said from the very beginning, since two days ago, and talked to Tito [Red Sox manager Terry Francona] about it, I said, 'I want Mariano to close.' I understand what it's about to pay your dues in this game and what it's about to put in your time," Papelbon said, according to the Web site. "If you were to ask me, of course I wanted to close. That's my competitive nature."

Papelbon said he was shocked when he saw a New York Daily News headline that read "PAPELBUM! Red Sox reliever says he, not Mariano, should close tonight's All-Star Game."

"That was an easy headline for that [newspaper] to say, 'Yeah, Papelbon said he wants to close.' Yeah, of course I do," Papelbon said, according to the site. "That's my competitive nature. But I'm stepping away and saying I don't need to close."

Papelbon told MLB.com that he was so disturbed by the parade incident that he didn't even care if he pitched on Tuesday.

"Your family gets involved like that and you're trying to enjoy an experience with your family, and you have a wife who's pregnant who doesn't feel safe riding in a red-carpet event, you know what I mean? How would you feel?" Papelbon said, according to MLB.com.

Papelbon did pitch and received a harsh welcome when he entered in the All-Star Game in the eighth inning.

The crowd of 55,632 chanted "Overrated" with Papelbon on the mound, and sounded almost pleased when he allowed Adrian Gonzalez's go-ahead sacrifice fly.
Back to the top

Re: Classy New York, Classy

Yeah, over the line. 

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

Fledgling said

Yeah, over the line.

As i Red Sox fan i just think in general the rivalry in general is getting out of hand.  Trust me, i'm sure there are fans in Boston that are capable of doing the same type of thing.  People need to realize that it's only a game and stop getting so personal.  Everyone just needs to relax.
Back to the top

As a big Yankees fan not all of us are like that. I despise the Sox more then anything in life but I would never go as far as to curse at one of them especially when he's with his family. I was with Fledge a number of months back at the bar in Mizner (the name escapes me right now) and we saw John Henry part owner of the Sox. Even though I hate his baseball team I didn't curse him out or anything. Now when fledge asked if I wanted a pic with him I laughed and said no I f'n hate him lol.

Some of these guys aren't to swift. Again chanting overrated to Pabblebon in the all-star game? If he's so overrated then how come we can never beat him? Don't like the team he's on but I think he's an excellent closer. You want overrated look at Eric Gagne

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Classy New York, Classy

The All Star game is supposed to be a celebration of baseball.

I think this could happen anywhere to any player, and it's real sad.  Look at the a-hole who jumped on the field and attacked the Kansas City first base coach for no reason in Chicago.

A lot of classless people out there, I guess we just have to ignore them.  No use in trying to talk sense into senseless individuals.

At least Josh Hamilton was celebrated.

Like things, love people.
Back to the top
Control functions: