Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Business First - Lousiville: Insight into BIG DONOR

Add topic

FAU plans new stadium for Schnellenberger’s Owls - Louisville - Business First

Florida Atlantic University has selected HKS and local architect Schenkel Schultz to design a $62M football stadium in Boca Raton for former University of Louisville coach Howard Schnellenberger’s Owls football team, confirmed AD Craig Angelos.

Barton Malow and Hunt Construction are among the four finalists to build the 30,000-seat facility; a decision is expected in the coming weeks.

In addition, Angelos is waiting to hear from a local financial institution whether it will buy stadium naming rights for $20M over 20 years.

He declined to identify the bank. Officials are targeting a 2010 opening, pending financing approved for the project.

FAU needs $12M cash in hand and pledges before it goes to the bond market in the fourth quarter, Angelos said.

Before leaving Louisville in 1994 for the University of Oklahoma, Schnellenberger was instrumental in helping raise funds for the University of Louisville’s current home, Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium.

The Louisville native arrived in 1998 at FAU, where he built the football program from scratch. Since then, the program has raised more than $15 million, according to the school’s Web site.

He was named 2007 Sun Belt Coach of the Year after leading the team to an 8-5 record and a 44-27 win over Memphis in the New Orleans Bowl.

This season, the team will play nationally televised games against the University of Minnesota and Michigan State University. The Owls will pay Western Kentucky in Bowling Green on Saturday, Oct. 18.

Muret is a writer for SportsBusiness Journal, a sister publication to Business First. Staff Writer Brent Adams gathered additional information for this story.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

Re: Business First - Lousiville: Insight into BIG DONOR

Good.

Maybe this will silence the critics and doubters.
Back to the top

I told you I had a gut feeling....

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

Business First - Lousiville: Insight into BIG DONOR

I mentioned Bank Atlantic as a natural fit way back when this thing first began. It very well could be Bank Atlantic.

For those healthy optimists, I will remain skeptical until the deal is signed.  ;)

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

I really don't think it's Bank Atlantic. They already have the rights to the Panthers arena in Sunrise.
Back to the top

This was brought up in a different thread earlier this year, about a bank with ties to the South Florida.  I have a strong feeling its not Bank Atlantic, too. But the fact that Schnelly and now Angelos are dropping hints at a big money donor could mean an announcement is coming sooner than later.

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

Commerce Bank?

They have made it clear they want into the SF market in a big way…

Back to the top

More than that FL_Owl!

I have been told that the CEO of Commerce has vowed to bury Bank Atlantic for stealing their marketing angle of being "the most convenient bank." A work associate has told me that when he heard about Bank Atlantic's copying of Commerce's business model he said they were going to bring Commerce to South Florida and open branches across from every BA and put them out of business. If part of that plan is to also get into the sports space…then so be it! Heck, I might leave BofA if they do it!
Back to the top

I am not up on all of the South Florida banking business since I haven't lived there for 6 years. However, I remember Bank Atlantic as being a big player. Obviously that is changing.

At this point I will take any sponsor. Be it Bank Atlantic, Commerce Bank, or be it a sperm bank for that matter.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

"to hear from a local financial institution"

Is Commerence a local bank down there?
Back to the top
Control functions: