Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Wanted: Weekend activities at FAU

Add topic

Apparently FAU has a "Weekend Activities Commitee"… who knew. Not a bad idea actually.

Weekend Ghost Town in Boca

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

Re: Wanted: Weekend activities at FAU

CanadianOwl said

Apparently FAU has a "Weekend Activities Commitee"… who knew. Not a bad idea actually.

Weekend Ghost Town in Boca

I'm actually on this committee (one of like… five committees I'm on at FAU). Unfortunately, I'm one of only two students. We used to have more… from what I understand, it initially started out with 11 students and then dwindled down over time. The rest of the committee consists of administrative people from SGA, the Student Union, Campus Rec, etc.

What ends up happening is that we sit around and talk about ideas for events we'd like to have but either
a) we don't have the money (that was the case last year but is not supposed to be the case this year)
or
b) we don't have the manpower to run these events.

The basic problem is that we need more students who are willing to volunteer their time to run these events. Thing is, even Program Board has problems finding people like that and those people are paid. We're hoping to recruit more next semester but I've been at FAU long enough to predict what will happen there. I hope I'm wrong.

So far, we've held three "Game Nights" in the Student Union. We've predominantly done Smash Brothers tournaments, billiards tournaments and dominoes tournaments. We tried other things like board games and double dutch (a girl from Program Board thought this was a good idea) though no one is apparently interested in that. So it has boiled down to the same three offerings and they're usually won by the same handful of people. They recieve anything from DVDs to iPod Shuffles as prizes.

We talked about doing a live version of WHERE IN THE WORLD IS CARMEN SANDIEGO with each room in the Student Union being a different "country" with representatives from cultural clubs in those rooms (i.e. Three people from the Armenian club in the room for that country). However, the Committee feels like this would involve a lot of planning and a lot of help from clubs that we probably won't get, so they've sort of staved off that idea so far. In response, they considered an "Iron Chef" event where people could watch Chartwells chefs try to make dinners using a secret ingredient in the Cafe (not part of the basic menu but as a separate area). I'm entirely unconvinced that students would want to sit around and watch the Chartwells chefs make food so we're kinda stalled there.

Having been to "traditional" colleges, I can tell you what people do on the weekends: get hammered at a bar or throw parties so they can get hammered at home. Obviously that's not something we can offer through FAU funds or administration.

To end this, let me just say it's been kind of a stalemate and we're hoping to offer more in the Fall. I have a list of events I'd like us to do, from Human Bowling ("I'm concerned about liability issues") to a cake decoration ("that will only eat up 2 hours max") contest to an Amazing Race-type of event ("we don't have enough people to do something like that")…but we'll see.

Back to the top

How does one join this said "committee"?
Back to the top

owlcountry said

Having been to "traditional" colleges, I can tell you what people do on the weekends: get hammered at a bar or throw parties so they can get hammered at home. Obviously that's not something we can offer through FAU funds or administration.

In theory.  ;D

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

FAUfasho said

How does one join this said "committee"?

Talk to Brian Kientz, Director of the Student Union. Ask him about the next meeting of the Weekend Programming Committee.
Back to the top

Poker. Give away a poker set. You would need to find dealers, but with a bunch of people it will fill time.
Back to the top

i know this has been talked about a million times but the stadium will go along way torwards keeping kids on campus kids will simply want to stay for pre nite parties tailgating on gameday and celebrations parties that night its sounds simple thats because it is
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

i know this has been talked about a million times but the stadium will go along way torwards keeping kids on campus kids will simply want to stay for pre nite parties tailgating on gameday and celebrations parties that night its sounds simple thats because it is

Right but remember that's only around the time of home games and not for the Spring Semester at all.

Even with the Innovation Village… I mean, it's going to be cool but the reality is it will probably be one name restaurant flanked by some no name restaurants and "personal services" like optometrist, tanning salon, computer repair that are helpful but it's not like you and your friends are going to hang out in front of the optometrist's office on a Saturday night.

A hookah bar, a pool hall, a students-only nightclub… you know, nightlife… that's the kind of stuff that will keep FAU students hanging out there on the weekends. It's a perfect opportunity for FAU to become the "night spot" of Boca because everyone knows the bars and clubs are stretched-out all over the place and even though they have college nights they're not really, truly dedicated to college students. The downside to that kind of development is the potential to bring in people like that Johnson & Johnson student who pulled out a gun at the Student Apartments.

So that's why the Innovation Village is going to be more shopping and restaurants than bars, pool halls and clubs.

Meanwhile, we have to offer stuff through avenues like the Program Board and this Weekend Programming Committee. I've been looking at various university program board/student union websites and realized that FAU provides the same stuff as everyone else in the country: movies on the lawn, comedy shows, game nights, art galleries, trips to theme parks, "market days" where vendors bring out posters for sale, etc.

The idea is to get FAU to the point where a couple of these things are happening at the same time instead of having one thing every couple of days…

Back to the top

Wanted: Weekend activities at FAU

owlcountry said

owlcountry40 said

Right but remember that's only around the time of home games and not for the Spring Semester at all.

Even with the Innovation Village… I mean, it's going to be cool but the reality is it will probably be one name restaurant flanked by some no name restaurants and "personal services" like optometrist, tanning salon, computer repair that are helpful but it's not like you and your friends are going to hang out in front of the optometrist's office on a Saturday night.

A hookah bar, a pool hall, a students-only nightclub… you know, nightlife… that's the kind of stuff that will keep FAU students hanging out there on the weekends. It's a perfect opportunity for FAU to become the "night spot" of Boca because everyone knows the bars and clubs are stretched-out all over the place and even though they have college nights they're not really, truly dedicated to college students. The downside to that kind of development is the potential to bring in people like that Johnson & Johnson student who pulled out a gun at the Student Apartments.

So that's why the Innovation Village is going to be more shopping and restaurants than bars, pool halls and clubs.

Meanwhile, we have to offer stuff through avenues like the Program Board and this Weekend Programming Committee. I've been looking at various university program board/student union websites and realized that FAU provides the same stuff as everyone else in the country: movies on the lawn, comedy shows, game nights, art galleries, trips to theme parks, "market days" where vendors bring out posters for sale, etc.

The idea is to get FAU to the point where a couple of these things are happening at the same time instead of having one thing every couple of days…

I'm thinking more that the stadium will cause a natural trickle down affect it will first bring more school spirit then with that more student will be more likely to join groups such as Greek sga saa etc more people in gropes the more people to organize and run stuff. But your right when its comes to the bars and stuff we really need to a couple bars that are just dedicated to fau students. Fau themed bars would be great a official place to watch away games and have like 1$ beer nights for college students. But i think all of this stuff with just more school spirit the more kids love there school the more they want to help.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

I'm thinking more that the stadium will cause a natural trickle down affect it will first bring more school spirit then with that more student will be more likely to join groups such as Greek sga saa etc more people in gropes the more people to organize and run stuff.

True. I hope that's the case. Clubs can only grow when they're consistent and offer meaningful things. That's been the issue. You'll have officers who don't return calls/emails, members confused because meetings held at all different times, officers in important positions flake out (i.e. your Director of Marketing "forgot" to make flyers for the meeting you spent 10 hours planning and prepping for, so no one attends it except your E-board) and so on.

That's why it's so important to get motivated people into FAU. A small portion of the recent grads and current students are genuinely trying to make FAU a better place for everyone. Student projects resulted in the Traditions Plaza, the prOWLers, buses to New Orleans, the Owl Book, the recent Democratic Convention, the Rec Center… those are just the things off the top of my head. Where there's a will, there's a way at FAU… even if that way is a bumpy road.
Back to the top
Control functions: