Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Florida State vs. FAU in the works

Looks like Bowden is on board,  "We would be receptive to that," Bowden said.Hope they can work this out.

Bowden open to FAU-FSU matchup

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

Re: Florida State vs. FAU in the works

That would be nice to play in tally in 09 and then have then at home in 2011.  2011 would be awesome if we played both FSU and UF, building intra-state rivalries is so essential and we already have the USF games coming and FIU game annually.  Eventually I would hope that we could also play UCF and UM too.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

CanadianOwl said

Looks like Bowden is on board,  "We would be receptive to that," Bowden said.Hope they can work this out.

If Coach S doesnt make this happen I will be severely disappointed.
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

That would be nice to play in tally in 09 and then have then at home in 2011.  2011 would be awesome if we played both FSU and UF, building intra-state rivalries is so essential and we already have the USF games coming and FIU game annually.  Eventually I would hope that we could also play UCF and UM too.

A 2009 game almost certainly won't happen because FAU would have only four home games.  Earliest would be 2011, I think.  Also VERY unlikely they would accept a straight home-and-home.  More likely that it would just be one game, in Tally, with no return.  Maybe two games in Tally with no return.  FSU might be down right now, but they're not going to hand out a gift.  Just getting the game, wherever it is, would be the gift because for them, it's nothing to gain, everything to lose.

(You should have seen the discussion on their boards when USF fans wanted a game.)
Back to the top

It depends on how you look at it I suppose.  If FSU would rather not have to pay out big money and was able to turn a trip to Boca into a recruiting trip then they might see a home and home as reasonable…especially since they know that they can get a good crowd to show up.  FSU is much more reasonable as far as these things than say UF is…as we discussed in a different post FSU routinely engages in home and home or neutral site engagements (maybe this would be best for us, 1 game at doak and 1 game neutral at dolphin stadium with FSU retaining their ticket sales)

2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

It depends on how you look at it I suppose.  If FSU would rather not have to pay out big money and was able to turn a trip to Boca into a recruiting trip then they might see a home and home as reasonable…especially since they know that they can get a good crowd to show up.  FSU is much more reasonable as far as these things than say UF is…as we discussed in a different post FSU routinely engages in home and home or neutral site engagements (maybe this would be best for us, 1 game at doak and 1 game neutral at dolphin stadium with FSU retaining their ticket sales)

Yeah, I thought about the recruiting thing, and it's nice for the alumni and boosters, too.  Like you said, maybe Dolphin because they can get more of their people in there.  I still wouldn't spend much time thinking about it.  FSU played Maryland there in '96, but if I recall, there wasn't a huge crowd, so I doubt they are eager to come back.

Actually, FSU doesn't set out to play as many neutral games as it looks.  They played Alabama in Jax, but that's because it was a one-shot deal.  They play Colorado in Jax this year because they have eight home games, so they can afford to move one.  Before that, with the exception of the Orlando game against Notre Dame in '94, their other recent neutral site games were home games of ACC weaklings that were bought out by third parties and moved to Florida.

I agree that FSU is definitely more likely than UF to go for it.  UF hasn't played a non-conference road game against anyone other than FSU or UM since '91.  FSU is a little more generous in that regard.
Back to the top

CanadianOwl said

If y'all were to work out an even series with FSU I'd be envious for sure.  We played at FSU in 1995 (as a I-AA) but that was it.

www.essency.net
Back to the top

Florida State vs. FAU in the works

Essency said

CanadianOwl said

If y'all were to work out an even series with FSU I'd be envious for sure.  We played at FSU in 1995 (as a I-AA) but that was it.

You know, Bowden has been saying this series would be about adapting to the current gas crunch/economy crisis, inferring that games against in-state teams would be easier trips on the Athletic department's budget… but in reality, I bet it's because his Seminoles aren't doing as well as everyone expects them to be. Now he's feeling the pressure to ensure more 10 win seasons. He looks at us (as he would at FIU and UCF) as certain wins, giving him an opportunity to go out on a high note.
Back to the top

Regardless, if our OOC schedule included UCF, FSU, UF, USF….plus a game against FIU in conference, we would have alot more people around campus going hmmm maybe I should go to the games.  Even if they grew up UF or FSU fans I think alot would be brought into the fold, especially if we were doing well and it seemed plausible that we could win.  If we were doing badly theyd probably root for the other team, but a sellout is a sellout right?

Back to the top

Essency said

That was done mostly as a favor to Gene McDowell, the UCF coach at the time, who used to be on the FSU staff.  It's the only time in the Bowden era that FSU ever played an in-state I-AA team.  Before that, you have to go all the way back to 1959 when they played Tampa to find the last time FSU played an in-state team that wasn't UF or UM.  But with the proliferation of I-A teams in Florida the last few years, that might be changing soon.
Back to the top
Control functions: