Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

What can we expect from the running game this year??

With all the talk about Rusty and the passing attack, what should we expect from the running game this year??

Some of us have already started to discuss the potential impact of Xavier Stinson so I figured maybe we should have a thread dedicated specifically to the running game.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Re: What can we expect from the running game this year??

What can we expect from the running game this year??

I def think we'll continue to see more success from the running game as we continue to get bigger up front. I see us being fine on the ground against belt teams this year but i think we'll still have problems running against some of the big boys on our schedule. 
Back to the top

Our system of platoon backs also makes it more difficult for a defense to prepare.  With the addition of the "X" factor we should have alot more success…but don't expect 1000 yards out of just one.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

Our system of platoon backs also makes it more difficult for a defense to prepare.  With the addition of the "X" factor we should have alot more success…but don't expect 1000 yards out of just one.

The upside of not depending 150% on your one back is what you stated… more difficult for a defense to prepare. Since they're not sure who exactly the ball is going to, it works out in our favor (at least in theory).

The downside is that you sort of curb the development of each back because they're not getting as many carries. This leads to the potential that they don't run as well as they could when they DO get the chance.

Anyway, Coach knows what he's doing so I'll trust him. I do hope Stinson and Barasch live up to their high school records. In fact, I hope they're even better than Pierre and Edgecombe. If we can land this kid Branden Oliver (a 3-star RB from Miami)

Branden Oliver - Yahoo! Sports

…then we'd be in even better shape for the future. Kid's a beast.
Back to the top

In alot of ways our platoon system was both a tactic to defeat defenses and a response to the understanding that we didnt have a premier back that on their own could "defeat" a defense.  If X or Barasch can go out there and defeat defenses consistently then we will see alot less platooning IMO.

I wonder who they are going to have for punt returns… Can't wait to see Edge come back with alot of confidence from NO Bowl and light it up on kickoff returns.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

I was never a big fan of the platooning system, but it works for us.  How many times this happens, when one back just doesn't seem to be making any head way, someone else picks it up.  The different styles of each back, might influence the success each has on a particular style of defense.

I wouldn't mind if we did develop two solid backs to use on a regular basis.  It helps on the wear and tear of the backs, keeps them fresh longer - a benefit at the ends of games.

Alfred Morris has not gotten a lot of attention, but he will be a beast for us out of the back field to replace Rose.

I am also interested to see what X can do.

We don't need a 1,000 yard rushers really, what I am also interested in seeing this year is how much playing time some of the newcomers will get, I image a few series each game - this will be critical in their development for '09.
Back to the top

Bytor said

We don't need a 1,000 yard rushers really, what I am also interested in seeing this year is how much playing time some of the newcomers will get, I image a few series each game - this will be critical in their development for '09.

great teams usually have a guy over 1,000, partucularly champions -

"better than Barry"
Back to the top

cp20 said

Bytor said

2007 LSU….dont think they did.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

i could probably cite 20 teams with a guy over 1,000 and a championship, walty

"better than Barry"
Back to the top

cp20 said

Bytor said

But, we are not the caliber of team (yet, anyway) that will be competing for National Championship on a yearly basis, at least not while we are still part of the non-BCS Sun-Belt Conference.

The Sun-Belt Championship is a different story and we proved last year that you don't need a 1,000 yard rusher to win the Belt?  It's nice to have a solid running game to compliment the passing game, thought.

Look I just don't see us having a 1,000 yard rusher this year or the next, maybe in '10 but that's a few years away.  I would rather focus on what we do have NOW and what the possibilities are NOW.  Wouldn't mind being proved wrong, however.
Back to the top
Control functions: