Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Sun-Belt: Storylines Plentiful for '08

Article from The NewsStar.com:

Sun Belt storylines plentiful for '08
Back to the top

Re: Sun-Belt: Storylines Plentiful for '08

Sun-Belt: Storylines Plentiful for '08

This is an outstanding numbers for WKU:

Watch out for the Hilltoppers, who grew season ticket sales from 1,900 in 2006 to 9,000 last season. The Hilltoppers also are undergoing a $49-million renovation to their stadium and athletic complex. Western Kentucky beat Middle Tennessee last season.

:o

They have had a solid program at the 1-AA level and with the jump to 1-A, I can see why the big increase in season ticket sold.

I know that we started from starch, but man those are great numbers and hopefully we can see that type of increase once we get our stadium build on campus.
Back to the top

FAU Story points for those behind firewalls…

Is the venerable Howard Schnellenberger building the next dynasty at Florida Atlantic?

Could be — FAU is expected to be the team to beat again this year. Schnellenberger calls his quarterback Rusty Smith one of the best he's ever been around as a coach.

"I've made that statement that he's going to be a first-round choice in the National Football League," Schnellenberger said. "I believe that, truly. He is in the same mold and has the same makeup as Joe Namath, Bernie Kosar, Vinny Testaverde, Jim Kelly, Browning Nagle and Greg Brohm all players I was around. "

Smith led an offense that averaged 31.5 points per game.

"Thank goodness, our football team matured at a time when his talent and leadership gives us a chance to be successful," Schnellenberger said.

The favored Owls recruit almost exclusively in the talent-rich state of Florida and return 18 starters from a team that beat Memphis in the New Orleans Bowl. With another banner year, momentum in recruiting could stock the cupboard for years.

"You reach higher," Schnellenberger said when asked about defending the conference title. "You use the experience that they gained in the past couple of years and make sure they stay focused."

Last year the Sun Belt scored several upsets over more established programs. ULM beat Alabama, FAU beat Minnesota and Troy knocked off Oklahoma State. What are the best bets for more of the same in 2008?

Florida Atlantic's visit to Michigan State could be interesting. ULM catches Arkansas in the second playing date as the Bobby Petrino era gets underway.

Which Sun Belt games on paper could have the most impact on the championship picture?

Considering the parity in the Sun Belt, all of them.

But a notable matchup of local interest is Florida Atlantic's trip to ULM on Oct. 25. The Warhawks have enjoyed success against FAU and get the Owls in Malone Stadium after beating them 33-30 in triple overtime in rainy conditions a year ago.

Also worth circling on the schedule: Troy at Middle Tennessee, Aug. 28; ULL at ULM on Oct. 4; Troy at FAU on Oct. 7 on ESPN2 and ULM at Arkansas State on Oct. 11.

Very nice read on the confrence. Hopefull we all win more of our OOC games and get into those extra bowls.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Bytor said

Watch out for the Hilltoppers, who grew season ticket sales from 1,900 in 2006 to 9,000 last season. The Hilltoppers also are undergoing a $49-million renovation to their stadium and athletic complex. Western Kentucky beat Middle Tennessee last season.

They have had a solid program at the 1-AA level and with the jump to 1-A, I can see why the big increase in season ticket sold.

I know that we started from starch, but man those are great numbers and hopefully we can see that type of increase once we get our stadium build on campus.

I wholeheartedly agree with you in terms of WKU's solid background and future ceiling.  However, just to put everything in its proper context, I've read in several places (while I don't know the truth of this) that they reduced the price of season tickets to $25.00 per season ticket seat, so that in itself might have generated a good number of sales as well.    From seeing some pictures, their new addition to their stadium is just beautiful and first class…
Back to the top

I hope FIU can beat USF this year…..I didnt realize that they only lost by 1 point in TAMPA in 2006….the only year USF won a bowl.

It helps us if FIU can get some buzz going…if we are great and they are not any good the rivalry is pretty much dead.

GOOD LUCK GOLDEN PANTHERS

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

FIUFanatic said

Bytor said

I wholeheartedly agree with you in terms of WKU's solid background and future ceiling.  However, just to put everything in its proper context, I've read in several places (while I don't know the truth of this) that they reduced the price of season tickets to $25.00 per season ticket seat, so that in itself might have generated a good number of sales as well.    From seeing some pictures, their new addition to their stadium is just beautiful and first class…

Aren't they in a position, like Troy, where there's nothing else really going on for miles except for the Athletics department? Perhaps the Western Kentucky basketball success last season also awoke a school spirit revolution that has now carried over to football.
Back to the top

owlcountry said

FIUFanatic said

Bytor said

Aren't they in a position, like Troy, where there's nothing else really going on for miles except for the Athletics department? Perhaps the Western Kentucky basketball success last season also awoke a school spirit revolution that has now carried over to football.

Western Kentucky has always had lots of support. Football is a more traditional powerhouse than basketball. WKU has won numerous 1-AA football championships and they always put a good product on the field. Last year they averaged just under 16,500 fans per home game. That is solid attendance. It will only increase with the move to 1-A.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

I hope FIU can beat USF this year…..I didnt realize that they only lost by 1 point in TAMPA in 2006….the only year USF won a bowl.

It helps us if FIU can get some buzz going…if we are great and they are not any good the rivalry is pretty much dead.

GOOD LUCK GOLDEN PANTHERS

This is quite possibly the nicest thing pro-FIU comment ever made on this board lol. Thanks! I hope we win too and I hope our stadium's packed on game day for our opener.
Back to the top

I would have gone (seriously) but I will be overseas.  I really hope FIU can pick it up, seems like they got alot going for them right now…just have to knock off some of these OOC games and a couple of the middle of the pack Sun Belt teams..heck with the new bowl scenarios in play FIU could get a bowl..I would genuinely like to see FIU get a bowl bid.  The reason the FSU-Miami rivalry has always been so good is because they have always been close in talent…even now where they both have seen a dropoff.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

I really hope FIU can pick it up, seems like they got alot going for them right now…just have to knock off some of these OOC games..I would genuinely like to see FIU get a bowl bid.

Wow! Your a better man then me. I'm sorry, but I wish nothing but losing seasons for FIU.
Back to the top
Control functions: