Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Howard gets a Contract Extension

http://www.fau.edu/bot/files/073008_Item_VIII_Football_Coach_Contract.pdf

Its through 2011 if the Stadium is built, 2010 if its not…so not much of an extension (2 years with stadium) but its good enough.  Same base salary as he has now, with raises also based on whether the teams has a good APR or not (above and beyond the top 10/25% marks shown below)

Performance based bonuses:

Winning the Conference Championship and receiving BCS bowl game invitation: $50,000.00
Winning the Conference Championship and receiving a non-BCS bowl game invitation: $12,500.00
Receiving an at-large bowl game invitation: $10,000.00
Earning a Top 10 college coaches’ poll national ranking $25,000.00
Winning the National Coach of the Year Award: $25,000.00
Winning the Conference Coach of the Year: $7,500.00
Receiving a top 10% NCAA APR recognition: $7,500.00
Receiving a top 25% NCAA APR recognition: $5,000.00

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

Re: Howard gets a Contract Extension

Howard gets a Contract Extension

SeminOWL2006 said

http://www.fau.edu/bot/files/073008_Item_VIII_Football_Coach_Contract.pdf

Its through 2011 if the Stadium is built, 2010 if its not…so not much of an extension (2 years with stadium) but its good enough.  Same base salary as he has now, with raises also based on whether the teams has a good APR or not (above and beyond the top 10/25% marks shown below)

Performance based bonuses:

Winning the Conference Championship and receiving BCS bowl game invitation: $50,000.00
Winning the Conference Championship and receiving a non-BCS bowl game invitation: $12,500.00
Receiving an at-large bowl game invitation: $10,000.00
Earning a Top 10 college coaches’ poll national ranking $25,000.00
Winning the National Coach of the Year Award: $25,000.00
Winning the Conference Coach of the Year: $7,500.00
Receiving a top 10% NCAA APR recognition: $7,500.00
Receiving a top 25% NCAA APR recognition: $5,000.00

I swear if he does either of those two things I will go on this board and say I will personally up this bonus $500…and I am broke.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

The only thing that bothers me in the contract renewal is the clause that will extend it to 3/2012 if the stadium isn't completed in 2010. That tells me there are some loose ends and they aren't as close to closing the deal with funding as it sounds sometimes. I just wish they could get things all wrapped up!

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Worries me also!  How much money do we still need????

GO OWLS!
'91
Back to the top

As well he should...

Peyton
Back to the top

Don't read so much into those comments.

Howard Schnellenberger said

And Schnellenberger said he may seek another extension before this contract expires.

"I intend to be here after that, but when you are 74 years old, you tend to take little steps like this," Schnellenberger said.

The guy was meant to be a Coach, what else is he going to do.  He finally has a chance to stay and be part of the very dream he envision come to fruition.  There will be no what if's like in Miami & Louisville, JMHO.
Back to the top
Control functions: