Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

True Class from Marlins

Add topic

Saw this story today, maybe you guys read it. But its a great story and some true Class from Marlins' players Wes Helms and Luis Gonzalez.  I just hope Manny doesn't ruin it.

Topic Galleries - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Helms, Gonzalez thank strength coach with motorcycle

By Juan C. Rodriguez

Sun-Sentinel.com

11:35 PM EDT, July 30, 2008

MIAMI GARDENS

Wes Helms and Luis Gonzalez got strength and conditioning coach Paul Fournier out to the field well before Wednesday's game on the premise they wanted to run some sprints. Soon after they began, Fournier's attention shifted to a rumble in the empty ballpark.

It was manager Fredi Gonzalez riding a Harley Davidson Softail Cross Bones on the warning track.

"Paul looked up and said, 'That's my bike, that's my dream bike,'" Helms said.

Helms and Gonzalez made Fournier's dream a reality. Fredi Gonzalez initially told Fournier the bike was on loan from a friend at a Harley dealership. A few minutes later Luis Gonzalez flipped Fournier the keys.

"I'm up, I'm down," said Fournier, who became weak-kneed and had to lean on the bike to steady himself. "I feel like I'm going to throw up."

Helms and Luis Gonzalez had discussed the gift for a while. The $17,000 Cross Bones is on back order at most dealerships. The local outlet finally got its hands on one this week.

"We wanted it to totally be a surprise," Helms said. "He had no idea it was coming … It's his lifetime dream. He probably wouldn't get one himself because he has three daughters and he thinks about family first. I'm a big believer in good things happen to good people and he does a lot for me and Luis in the weight room.

"He started shaking. He didn't tear up, but it was coming. You could tell he was in awe of the situation. The reaction was priceless. It gave me chills watching him look at the bike."

Copyright © 2008, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

"Sore Loser?!?! Tell you what, show me a Good Loser and I'll SHOW you a LOSER!!!"
Back to the top

Re: True Class from Marlins

Awesome story!

Now just pass on Manny and we are good to go……….
Back to the top

Who wouldnt love the Marlins??  When you arent buying a team every year it seems like there is something more to Baseball than dollar dollar bill ya'll….PASS ON MANNY.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

True Class from Marlins

SeminOWL2006 said

Who wouldnt love the Marlins??  When you arent buying a team every year it seems like there is something more to Baseball than dollar dollar bill ya'll….PASS ON MANNY.

Thank God they did!

Guy is stinkin punk:

"Earlier this season, Ramirez knocked down team traveling secretary Jack McCormick in the visitors’ clubhouse before a game in Houston when he asked for tickets, the Providence Journal reported."

Anyway, so long:

Story
Back to the top

Guys, can we please not talk about Manny, I'm still depressed he left us…. :-\

Nice read though.
Back to the top

Think it is safe to say they won't be in the wildcard this year, but given thier roster, etc i think they did one heck of a job this year!
Back to the top
Control functions: