Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Mean Green to get new Stadium by 2010

Article from the Denton Chronicles:

Dodge expects new stadium by 2010

Back to the top

Re: Mean Green to get new Stadium by 2010

Bytor said

Yeah and I don't get this at all. A new stadium?

UNT has a 30,000 seat stadium and it looks fine to me:

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Maybe he just means he wants to upgrade it? 45k seats, maybe, and a better fascade?
Back to the top

I will agree that you do need to kept up with the Jones these days in athletics, it just an unfortunate circumstance of staying on par with your competitors if not doing something better.

BCS teams are doing whatever they can to improve their facilities to be able to stay competitive on the recruiting front & now the Sun-Belt must do so - yet, the Belt still has a lot of work to do with building their fan base as well.

Facilites do play a BIG part in build a program these days and FAU needs to get moving.  Howard did mention in the article that the opening day may have to be pushed back to '11 if the funding is not in place  :'(

Back to the top

Bytor said

I will agree that you do need to kept up with the Jones these days in athletics, it just an unfortunate circumstance of staying on par with your competitors if not doing something better.

BCS teams are doing whatever they can to improve their facilities to be able to stay competitive on the recruiting front & now the Sun-Belt must do so - yet, the Belt still has a lot of work to do with building their fan base as well.

Facilites do play a BIG part in build a program these days and FAU needs to get moving.  Howard did mention in the article that the opening day may have to be pushed back to '11 if the funding is not in place  :'(

North Texas has a lot of competition for in-state recruiting. Texas, Texas A&M, TCU, Houston, UTEP, Baylor, not too mention trying to keep some of the talent in state that heads to schools.

As for FAU, we are in a very similar situation.

The stadium will make all the difference in recruiting. Add to that a few more winning seasons between now and then and hopefull a few more conference titles and bowl wins and FAU will be right in the mix with a lot of other programs in terms of recruiting.

On another note, just about the time that the stadium is done it will probably be time to add to or renovate the Oxley Center (more for recruiting purposes than out of necessity).

GO OWLS!!!

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Mean Green to get new Stadium by 2010

Here is a follow-up story on their Stadium:

Enthusiams buidls for new UNT stadium
Back to the top

owlcountry said

Bytor said

Yeah and I don't get this at all. A new stadium?

UNT has a 30,000 seat stadium and it looks fine to me:

Maybe he just means he wants to upgrade it? 45k seats, maybe, and a better fascade?

By the looks from this picture, the problem seems to be that the fans are so far away from the field because of the track.  Not a very good set up.
Back to the top

I've been to Denton and the stadium is not nearly as nice as it appears here.

The track makes the fans way too far away from the action. The press box is tired and old and there are no "club level" facilities. The stadium is mostly aluminum and looks tacky from ground level. Restroom and concessions are, well, awful and the place has somewhat of a temporary, thrown-together look.

Two years ago when I was there, the NT fans were talking about a new stadium near their then-new athletic village on the other side of the interstate highway, across from the current stadium. It's an impressive campus. I hope they get it.
Back to the top

FAU is trying to continue that effect for its program following a season that included tying for the Sun Belt title and beating Memphis in the New Orleans Bowl by building a new stadium.

“We will determine our financing plan in the next several weeks,” FAU coach Howard Schnellenberger said. “If for some reason that does not happen, we will have to push our opening back from 2010 to 2011.”

That does not sound good.
Back to the top

OwlShooter said

FAU is trying to continue that effect for its program following a season that included tying for the Sun Belt title and beating Memphis in the New Orleans Bowl by building a new stadium.

“We will determine our financing plan in the next several weeks,” FAU coach Howard Schnellenberger said. “If for some reason that does not happen, we will have to push our opening back from 2010 to 2011.”

That does not sound good.

Ehhh, gotta have a back-up plan.
Back to the top
Control functions: