Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

who let the owls out

Please, with the season upon us can we stop this cheer, I have been to football games all over the country, both pro and college.  You never hear, who let the dolphins out, who let the gators out etc., etc.  This cheer is embarassing and I am hoping that we can retire it.
Back to the top

Re: who let the owls out

who let the owls out

alum79 said

Please, with the season upon us can we stop this cheer, I have been to football games all over the country, both pro and college.  You never hear, who let the dolphins out, who let the gators out etc., etc.  This cheer is embarassing and I am hoping that we can retire it.

Oh no…not another WLTOO thread.  I hate the chant too, but it refuses to die.  The best thing to do is to ignore it.
Back to the top

I agree whole heartedly it is completly embarassing to hear.  But get ready to hear people defend the guy who does it.  Since aparently he is a huge fau fan.  My question is why would he continue to embarass his fellow fau fan?
Back to the top

LOL here we go again. This is almost as bad as starting another thread about the prOWLers, who started them, etc. LOL.

I'm going to give my opinion and then hopefully I won't comment on it anymore.

It's not an official chant of FAU. It doesn't show up in the media guide or the Owl Book - FAU's newest student-published book of school traditions. You don't have to cheer or even agree with it.

But for a school that is starving and begging for fans that are dedicated and that truly love the school, we should not ridicule him or the chant. If he's the only one chanting it, so be it. If him and his family are chanting it, so be it.

Just like the "Hey Ref - You Suck" and the "Hey Ref. Get on your knees, you're blowing the game." and one of my favorites…."Defense ..F*** 'em up". Those aren't official chants, yet people do them. I'll admit, those are better than Who Let The Owls Out.

And I don't think it's "embarrassing" if a few people are doing the chant. They are fans just like us and they have their own way of expressing their support. The guy who started it is a huge FAU fan and has been with the program since it's inception. When FAU HAD NO CHANTS in 2002, that's when the chant started.It was really big in 02 and 03 and since has died as more chants were created.

What's embarrassing is when a fan from the FAU stands threw a bottle at a ref. That's embarrassing.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

This, besides the color wars debate, has to be the most obnoxious topic that refuses to die!
Back to the top

Every year it's the same debate.  I get that the guy is a big fan and that is great.  That doesn't change the fact that the chant is dumb, unoriginal, and really dated.  Still, I've chosen to just ignore it.  It's not like everyone in the stands starts chanting along with it…just the guy who started it and a few that sit around him.  Plus, each year we hear it less and less.  If we get enough people in the stadium making noise, this will be a non-issue altogether.  It will go away slowly on it's own.
Back to the top

alum79 said

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit when i read this title.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Let them have their fun, we shouldnt criticize owls for how they love their team.

Yeh us younger folks might not like it cuz its corny, but lets face it our parents alot of times still think the macarena and who lets the dogs out are cool….Or maybe they are trying to be embarrassing, who knows.  I think its funny if a little dated..but considering it came out in 2000 right when were becoming a team, maybe it was alot "cooler" in the early days.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

I love this topic…..and i have spoke to the guy that started this chant and i told him to chnat anything but something the baha men started.  This fan is Fanatical and flipped out on me telling me to come up with something better

I hate this chant just as much as anyone else on here, but this year i will not complain about it past this thread……people have complained about me at bball games and i see both sides

We all are pulling for the same thing in the end…..GO OWLS and have fun!!!!
Back to the top

alum79 said

On the other hand, dolphins and gators don't make sounds that rhyme with "woof" or "hoot" ;).
Back to the top
Control functions: