Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

UCF getting sued

Add topic

UCF getting sued

Back to the top

Re: UCF getting sued

If they lose they will have to write a check for more money than we cant seem to raise for a football stadium...good luck UCF.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

If they lose they will have to write a check for more money than we cant seem to raise for a football stadium…good luck UCF.

It sucks for them but it certainly has come off as a wrongful death/negligence case. If they sue – and they should – they'll win.
Back to the top

owlcountry said

walty12 said

If they lose they will have to write a check for more money than we cant seem to raise for a football stadium…good luck UCF.

It sucks for them but it certainly has come off as a wrongful death/negligence case. If they sue – and they should – they'll win.

Wrongful death award will be in the $10M range easily.

Back to the top

That sorta bothers me. I'm not a very big fan of sueing someone, the only thing that I think should come of sueing someone is shutting them down so that they can't make the same thing happen again someplace else. Is getting $10M going to help bring him back? Of course not, people just want to get a lot of money for something that was very unfortunate. If there is a person to blame, then they should not be allowed to being involved in anyway shape or form from any related activities, not sued for millions of dollars. I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but its just my $.02. And just a note, I don't know the WHOLE situation, only from what I've read in a few headlines and things like that. So again, this is just my opinion.
Back to the top

FAUfasho said

That sorta bothers me. I'm not a very big fan of sueing someone, the only thing that I think should come of sueing someone is shutting them down so that they can't make the same thing happen again someplace else. Is getting $10M going to help bring him back? Of course not, people just want to get a lot of money for something that was very unfortunate. If there is a person to blame, then they should not be allowed to being involved in anyway shape or form from any related activities, not sued for millions of dollars. I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but its just my $.02. And just a note, I don't know the WHOLE situation, only from what I've read in a few headlines and things like that. So again, this is just my opinion.

Usually it's just about punishing the school by hitting them where it hurts: the wallet.

I would hope that, if they're awarded the money, they use at least some of that money to build some sort of statue or something at UCF to remember him. Then again, that might be an uncomfortable dedication speech…
Back to the top

owlcountry said

FAUfasho said

Usually it's just about punishing the school by hitting them where it hurts: the wallet.

I would hope that, if they're awarded the money, they use at least some of that money to build some sort of statue or something at UCF to remember him. Then again, that might be an uncomfortable dedication speech…

I would think that a good way to remember their son would be to donate some to a scholarship fund named for Plancher, or donate to a program researching the sickle cell gene.  But, it's not my choice, its the family's.

Whether UCF can fight the suit or not, I don't know, but at the very least it will bring up a lot more bad press for the school, and maybe even sports conditioning in general.  In this world of Political Correctness, I hope this doesn't blow up and become a witch hunt for athletic programs everywhere. 

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

FAUfasho said

No flame here; I think you're right.  However, the question is:  Did UCF somehow contribute to his death?  Should they have known about or tested for the sickle-cell trait?  It's probably very similar to the Darling case at FSU a few years ago, and it probably will be handled the same way.  Doesn't get to who's at fault, but it does dispose of the case, puts it behind UCF and hopefully everybody can move on fairly quickly.

I don't think I could sue just for the sake of suing.  I don't know if that's what the family is doing here, but if I got money in a wrongful death suit, it would always feel like blood money to me, regardless of who's at fault.  It certainly wouldn't make me any happier.
Back to the top

The money serves as retrobution if they are accountable.  Holding people accountable for their actions and making them pay a penalty is the entire point of the court system….I know it would make me feel better if I were his family. 

Back to the top

This won't be about negligence or anything. This will be about PR as UCF will settle for the state maximum of 200k. It won't be $10 million as the money comes from the state and they have capped their payout at 200k. It wouldn't even be close to 10 mill without the cap anyhow.
Back to the top
Control functions: