Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

L'ville fan with a ?

Wondering how you all see the future of FAU football as far as conf. affiliation? Here in the Big East the talk is about adding a 9th football school. Various fans have suggested Memphis, East Carolina, Southern Miss, Central Florida, and FAU…..I personally have supported the idea of FAU joining in the very near future. With your new stadium coming soon, Schnelly solid building job, and being located in talent rich Florida, your program brings ALOT to a BCS conf….With USF in Tampa, adding FAU would give every BE team a road game in the state of Fla once a year. I know ALOT of UofL fans that would like to travel to southern Florida every other year!!

What are the thoughts of FAU fans???
Back to the top

Re: L'ville fan with a ?

DUH! We accept!

Ha, if only it were that easy

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

It'd be nice, but i think FAU going to the Big East is still quite a few years away if ever.  Some days it looks like the stadium will be open on schedule other days it looks more like 2011 2012sh.  I have a feeling that UCF would do a better lobbying job than FAU.  There is so much talk and dreams in Boca but you almost never see any follow through. Thank god for  Schnellenberger.
Back to the top

And don't forget that it's not just a football thing but also a basketball thing.  But I don't think we're as far behind on basketball at it looks, especially with Jarvis on board now.  Probably no new arena in the near future, though.
Back to the top

Cardinal said

What are the thoughts of FAU fans???

We'd love to be in the Big East, obviously, but our facilities and attendance aren't on par to even be a serious contender right now. Our attendance was about 10k last year and is steadily growing; I think it's reasonable to see 2k-5k more this year because of last year's bowl win and this year's potential. Furthermore, our stadium opens in 2010 but will only be 30k seats until… well, could be 2015 before it's 40-45k (assuming we continue to do well).

So really, I think it depends on when the Big East expands. For FAU, the later, the better. If it expands in the next three years, I very much doubt FAU will be in the conversation… as much as it pains me to say that. If the Big East expands in that time frame, I see them taking ECU and possibly UCF (depending on politics) because of facilities/attendance and us getting an offer to join CUSA.

Maybe something completely unexpected will occur like a major conference shake-up… much like ACC stealing BE teams. Something like that could bode well for us but we can't predict it nor depend on it.

Back to the top

Our Stadium will be built on time, we just have to sell our souls…err I mean dorms to get it.  Plus the big name sponsor may come after we have started building, just ask Brighthouse.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

L'ville fan with a ?

Our commish, Tranghese, is retiring soon. Keeping the conference together after the defections was an amazing feat, one more thing he has said he wants to accomplish is the addition of a 9th football school. Problem is we have a 16 team basketball league. Most of the talk is adding a football-only school (at least football only in the begining).

Thanks for your thoughts guys!!
Back to the top

Cardinal said

Our commish, Tranghese, is retiring soon. Keeping the conference together after the defections was an amazing feat, one more thing he has said he wants to accomplish is the addition of a 9th football school. Problem is we have a 16 team basketball league. Most of the talk is adding a football-only school (at least football only in the begining).

How does a Football only confrence work in general?

Lets say FAU gets into the Big East as a Football only, does that mean that all the other sports stay in the SunBelt? I would imagine that a % of revenue would have to go to the Sunbelt along with the Big East.  Dont take Memphis, LOL they are too focused on Basketball to be a Football only member

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

The Big East will want us and gives up presidence over other schools for simple reason, LOCATION. Half of the influencial members and donors from the Big East spend winters in South Florida, they'll have an opportunity to see their schools play down here. Its pretty simple. BUT we don't have the facilities. We need a new basketball arena and at least a parking lot with some lawn chairs to play football. the ball is in our hands.
Back to the top

owlfamily said

Cardinal said

How does a Football only confrence work in general?

Lets say FAU gets into the Big East as a Football only, does that mean that all the other sports stay in the SunBelt? I would imagine that a % of revenue would have to go to the Sunbelt along with the Big East.  Dont take Memphis, LOL they are too focused on Basketball to be a Football only member

I am assuming that yes, FAU would stay a member of the Sun Belt in all other sports. Football revenue would be split amoung the 9 football schools (current 8 & FAU). This would give FAU time to build and/or upgrade facilites to become a full fledge Big East member.  My gut feeling is that expansion will be to a Florida school in the next year or two.  That way the conference has inroads to the state recruiting with 2 state schools being members…The possiblity remains that when the next round of conference shake-up happens the basketball schools (Georgetown, Seton Hall, DePaul, ect.) will split to form their own conference. Any defections by Big East football schools, like the ACC raid, will probally be a death-kill to the Big East. So I feel the conference ADs are going to want to be reactive this time around.
Back to the top
Control functions: