Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Sun Belt: Nothing Small about FAU's corner duo....

Sun Belt: Nothing Small about FAU's corner duo....

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10920078#

Nice Read about the SunBelt in General but really focuses on FAU.

Corey Small knows all about growing pains.

The senior cornerback is coming off his best season at Florida Atlantic with 103 tackles and five interceptions, but things didn't start out that way.

The Owls might be the talk of the Sun Belt these days, but three years ago the team won just two games. That season it also gave up 61 points to Louisville, 46 to Minnesota and 52 to conference-rival Florida International. With performances like that, it looked like the Owls were destined to be your typical bottom-feeder team that couldn't have success moving from I-AA to I-A.

"You can imagine losing all those games, and being so young, it humbled you and changed your ego after coming out of high school," said Small.

But with players getting older and buying into coach Howard Schnellenberger's philosophy, Small knew good things were coming.

"Coach Schnellenberger had us convinced," said Small. "It took a little while; I knew we had to go through some hard seasons. First 2-9, then 5-6 and then the success last year. We knew we could do it. Last season the offense started rolling and all the chips fell into place. Basically all the hard work paid off."

The Owls finally had the breakout season they had been preparing for. They beat Minnesota 42-39, giving them their first victory over a Big Ten squad, and hung with an undefeated South Florida before losing late. They then beat Troy on the road in the final game of the season, clinching the conference title and earning a spot in the New Orleans Bowl.

FAU then really put the program on the map with a 44-27 victory over Memphis in the bowl game. Small received the game ball on defense for his excellent play against a strong receiving corps.

But Small has been more to FAU than just an all-conference cornerback. He has used his experience and wisdom to help others on the team, especially fellow corner Tavious Polo.

"He's like my brother," Polo said of Small. "Anything I need to know, he'll tell me, on and off the field.

"Especially since coming out of high school I played wide receiver, I really didn't know anything about cornerback. I learned from good coaching and anything I needed to know I asked Corey and he told me. He told me from day one – 'I'm not going to sugarcoat anything, if you want to know anything, I'll let you know.'"

Small made an immediate influence on Polo as the 5-foot-10 corner had a team-high seven interceptions, giving the Owls the nation's leading corner duo with 12 interceptions.

"Polo's a real good guy," said Small. "He's younger, but he's always ready to listen. On and off the field he's like my little brother. He came out of nowhere as a freshman asking questions all the time and next thing you know he's a freshman All-American."

That's just the type of teamwork and close-knit bond that has helped turn the Owls from cellar-dwellers to the class of the Sun Belt Conference.

And now with 10 starters back on offense and eight on defense – anchored by an excellent secondary – FAU is favored to win the conference again and looking to take that next step in becoming a big-time program.

Things start off with a bang as the Owls play at Texas to open the season on Aug. 30. It will also travel to Michigan State (Sept. 13) and Minnesota (Sept. 20) before jumping into conference play.

"We're stacked and have depth at every position," added Polo. "Everybody is grown and knows the ins and outs. We are all hungry for back-to-back. We want to do everything that any other team wants – get to that big bowl game."

Offensive Player of the Year
Rusty Smith, Florida Atlantic: The honors keep piling up for the junior quarterback. After winning the Sun Belt Player of the Year award last season, Smith is one of 31 players on the O'Brien Award Watch List. He threw for 3,688 yards and 32 touchdowns last season, including five touchdowns in the victory over Memphis in the New Orleans Bowl. He also ranked 29th in the nation in total offense and 21st in passing efficiency.

Defensive Player of the Year
Frantz Joseph, Florida Atlantic: After a successful '07, the linebacker is primed for another huge season. Joseph recorded 131 tackles, including 12.5 for a loss last season. He hit double-digits in tackles seven times, including 10 against Memphis in the bowl game. Joseph has already been named to the Butkus and Lombardi preseason watch lists and also earned Sun Belt Conference Preseason Player of the Year recognition.

Predicted order of finish:

1. Florida Atlantic: Anything less than a conference title would be a disappointment for the Owls. FAU is loaded on both sides of the ball, returning 18 starters. The Owls will have all-conference performers all over the place, including both the CBSSports.com offensive and defensive player of the year. Keep your eye on Cortez Gent, who should improve on last year's 64-catch, 1,069-yard season and will be one of the top wide receivers in the south.

2. Louisiana-Monroe: The Warhawks are coming off their best season since 1994, winning six games, highlighted by a 21-14 victory over Alabama in Tuscaloosa. And with 19 starters back on offense and defense, look for them to battle for the conference crown. The secondary will be strong with Greg James returning and ex-LSU corner Troy Giddens joining the squad. On offense, QB Kinsmon Lancaster is back for his senior season and Zeek Zacharie (486 yards, 6 TDs) returns as the conference's best TE.

3. Troy: With the departure of two-time Sun Belt Offensive Player of the Year Omar Haugabook, the Trojans will turn their attention to sophomore Jamie Hampton, who threw only 11 passes last season. It won't be an easy transition because the team's top running back and receivers are gone too. The defense should be strong with seven starters back, including linebacker Boris Lee (82 tackles), who will challenge for Sun Belt Defensive Player of the Year honors.

4. Arkansas State: The Red Wolves should be solid on offense with the return of All-Conference running back Reggie Arnold (1,060 yards, 6.5 average) and junior quarterback Corey Leonard (2,872 yards of total offense), but will have to replace four starters in the secondary, which could mean trouble. Arkansas State might just able to start the season at 3-1, with three of its first four games in Jonesboro.

5. Louisiana-Lafayette: The rushing attack will be the strongest in the Sun Belt with quarterback Michael Desormeaux (1,141 yards rushing) and Tyrell Fenroy (1,021 yards rushing) returning. The biggest question will be, can the Ragin Cajuns stop the run? The defense allowed 228 yards per game on the ground and 35.8 points per game last year. All three starting linebackers return, including seniors Brent Burkhalter and Antwyne Zanders.

6. Middle Tennessee: The Blue Raiders could be the sleeper of the conference with the return of quarterback Dwight Dasher. He was a freshman All-American honorable mention after leading the team with 530 yards rushing and 1,148 yards passing. If the offensive line holds up, Dasher could really blossom. Expect slotback Desmond Gee (382 yards receiving and 162 yards rushing) to see more action. Defensive back Alex Suber anchors the defense.

7. North Texas: First the good – former walk-on Casey Fitzgerald returns as the best receiver in the conference, catching 1,322 yards and 12 TDs last season. QB Giovanni Vizza is also back, giving North Texas a fantastic QB-to-WR combo. But here is the real problem – the Mean Green finished last in the nation in scoring defense, allowing an average of 45.1 points per game. The defense must get better in a hurry or the Mean Green are in for another long season.

8. Florida International: The Golden Panthers have a lot of work to do after winning just one game in two seasons, but Mario Cristobal's squad should see some improvement with nine starters back on offense and a new offensive coordinator in Bill Legg (Purdue). Sophomore Paul Younger (9 TDs, 17 INTs) guides the offense, which also returns running backs A'mod Ned and Julian Reams (2,322 yards combined in three seasons). LB Scott Bryant is back after recording 91 tackles.

All-Sun Belt
Pos  Player  Cl.  School
Offense
QB  Rusty Smith  Jr.  Florida Atlantic
RB  Tyrell Fenroy  Sr.  Louisiana-Lafayette
RB  Reggie Arnold  Jr.  Arkansas State
WR  Casey Fitzgerald  Sr.  North Texas
WR  Cortez Gent  Jr.  Florida Atlantic
TE  Zeek Zacharie  Sr.  Louisiana-Monroe
OL  Dion Small  Sr.  Troy
OL  Matt Mandich  Sr.  Arkansas State
OL  Chris Fiser  Jr.  Louisiana-Lafayette
OL  Brad Serini  So.  Florida International
OL  Kelvin Drake  Jr.  North Texas

Defense
DL  Kenny Mainor  Sr.  Troy
DL  Alex Carrington  Jr.  Arkansas State
DL  Jervonte Jackson  Sr.  Florida Atlantic 
DL  Joseph Miller  Sr.  North Texas
LB  Frantz Joseph  Sr.  Florida Atlantic
LB  Boris Lee  Jr.  Troy
LB  Ben Owens  Sr.  Arkansas State
DB  Greg James  Jr.  Louisiana-Monroe
DB  Tavious Polo  So.  Florida Atlantic
DB  Alex Suber  Sr.  Middle Tennessee
DB  Corey Small  Sr.  Florida Atlantic

Special Teams
K  Drew Edmiston  Sr.  Louisiana-Lafayette
P  Scott Love  Jr.  Louisiana-Monroe
Ret  Di'Ivory Edgecomb  Sr.  Florida Atlantic 

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Re: Sun Belt: Nothing Small about FAU's corner duo....

BELEIVE IN SCHNELLENBERGER! Trust me on this one. Before his arrival at Louisville in 1984 they were GIVING tickets away at convience stores, the administration was considering dropping football to Division II, & we were playing in baseball stadium. By 1991 we were embarrassing Alabama in the Fiesta Bowl and the groudwork was laid for our current stadium (which is slated for expansion starting after this season). Football probally would have progressed faster had Schenllys wishes been met. Instead of staying an idependent in football (as Howard wanted) we joined C-USA (BBall coach Denny Crums wish) and football struggled for a few years. Make no mistake, everything Louisville has today is because the fans, administration & community bought into Howards philosophy. He WILL build FAU into a team that can beat anybody at anytime. You will soon have the problem of teams NOT wanting to schedule you for fear a defeat will bust their BCS bowl game hopes.

Go Cards, Go Olws!
Back to the top
Control functions: