Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

A Spartan's review of the 2008 Owls

Hello, I've posted an overview of the 2008 Owls on my blog for anyone who is interested. The link is here: Florida Atlantic

Also, what do you all think your realistic chances are with Texas, MSU and Minnesota this coming season?

Edit: Is this the main message board for the Owls? The main message board for Spartan fans is at spartantailgate.com for anyone who wants to come over and join in the discussion.
Back to the top

Re: A Spartan's review of the 2008 Owls

Welcome! Yes, this is the largest and most active FAU community online.

P.S. I fixed the URL in your post.
Back to the top

Nice review… fair, no hype. (Seriously, I'm tired of the hype.)

Just a couple of corrections:

1) TE Harmon is out for the season.  Knee injury in the spring game.

2) The USF game last year – We had the ball at our own 20 with two minutes left and a chance to march the field and win the game.  We failed on a 4th-and-10, and USF scored a meaningless TD with seconds left to make it 35-23.  We were not "beaten soundly" by any means.  Just ask them.  :)

The other BCS games, yeah, not very close, but those were mostly in the first half of the year, and we weren't playing our best ball until the end of the season.  After the UF game (and some will say during the UF game) the lights definitely came on.
Back to the top

msutom said

Hello, I've posted an overview of the 2008 Owls on my blog for anyone who is interested. The link is here: Florida Atlantic

Also, what do you all think your realistic chances are with Texas, MSU and Minnesota this coming season?

Edit: Is this the main message board for the Owls? The main message board for Spartan fans is at spartantailgate.com for anyone who wants to come over and join in the discussion.

Good stuff. I'm impressed because it looks like you put a lot of time into researching the players, injuries, etc.

You're right about our OOC games though you gotta admit that Kentucky and Florida are tough teams to play against. We got pounded but scoring as much as we did gave us a little moral boost if nothing else. After all, the score from FAU/UF was identical to the score of Tennessee/UF and Tennessee is an SEC team. We look at that and say, to put 37 points on SEC teams in our seventh year definitely shows we're moving in the right direction.

The defense had an okay year last year and spent the offseason working on some issues. The return of Josh Savidge is going to help us against the run and guys like Jermaine Council got at the QB in 7-on-7's, so we're hopeful that will translate over. If you guys run the ball a lot, which I hear you do, I'll be more concerned than I would be if you were pass-happy since we have excellent corners.

I think we're all reaching the same conclusion about the outcome: we expect it to be close. I think the Vegas line is 3.5. We're going to be ready. Some MSU fans have bemoaned that it costs "$20 to see Florida ATLANTIC?!?" but I think it's going to be a great game and I'm psyched that it will be on ESPN2. If there's some way I can afford it, I hope to be there in person.

Anyway, thanks for stopping by!
Back to the top

Nice review,

MSU and Texas have a right to be concerned, but not worried.

While I havent posted ont he MSU board yet, I have read it and signed up. Nice place to visit and once the game goes a lil closer Ill be posting over there to ruffle some feathers in the way that only College football message boards can.

:o

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

and Polo was an all american last year…..i don't think Mcintosh is going to replace him….however he is very good

"Sore Loser?!?! Tell you what, show me a Good Loser and I'll SHOW you a LOSER!!!"
Back to the top

A Spartan's review of the 2008 Owls

jvowl said

and Polo was an all american last year…..i don't think Mcintosh is going to replace him….however he is very good

Although, the competition from Mcintosh should really excel the play of both Small and Polo.  I like the size of Mcintosh, they should bring him in on passing downs and use him to blitz.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

jvowl said

Although, the competition from Mcintosh should really excel the play of both Small and Polo.  I like the size of Mcintosh, they should bring him in on passing downs and use him to blitz.

McIntosh has been crazy good in the offseason and had a killer Spring Game. I believe he'll make one or more Big Plays against our BCS opponents this year.
Back to the top
Control functions: