Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Texas State (Southwest Texas) Going D-1A

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

Re: Texas State (Southwest Texas) Going D-1A

We get them and one more and we got a nice championship game runnin.  It'd be even better if we could set it up so we only have to play 1 team from the other division so that we all could max out our OOC type of games..still have some pay-to-play but alot more of the lesser BCS and such so that we can get props as a conference.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

We get them and one more and we got a nice championship game runnin.  It'd be even better if we could set it up so we only have to play 1 team from the other division so that we all could max out our OOC type of games..still have some pay-to-play but alot more of the lesser BCS and such so that we can get props as a conference.

I'd still like to see Appalachian State join the SBC. Don't know when they plan to move up or where they'd get offered to go if they did.
Back to the top

Texas State (Southwest Texas) Going D-1A

I dont know if theyd want to...they went back to back to back national champions...at FBS they would just be another team at the bottom unable to go to a national championship system because of the BCS cartel.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

Hell, why not?  SBC is the entry-level conference after all.  We have to get out of this crappy conference ASAFP.
Back to the top

I don't like this if it where to happen.

First off, if this conference is serious about getting stronger, then it needs to give itself a chance to grow-up.  If you keep instilling youth, allow entry to any 1-AA team that wants to go 1-A a free trip, then this conference will always be - weak  :P

Does any other conference allow any team to just move in - don't think so.

We do not need any newcomers, we need to stabilize the conference first.  Right now we have an open door policy which must stop.  Having another former 1-AA team will do nothing for attendance that is already crappy with most teams.  We have a hard enough time getting people to come to a Troy Game at home, more or less a Texas-State.

Having a play-off system fora weak conference will do very little - having more teams playing in bowl games will be far more beneficial to the long term success of this conference.

Back to the top

Well, actually, after thinking about it, criticizing the SBC for letting in I-AA teams is sort of biting the hand that fed us.  Where would we be if it weren't for the SBC?  We certainly wouldn't be doing much as an indie.

Still it was a little different when they invited us and FIU because they were trying to get back to eight teams.  Now we have nine, 10 with USA, maybe 11 with TSU… are they looking for a MAC-caliber championship game that we'll have to play on a Tuesday night and go head-to-head with reruns of The Office?
Back to the top

With FAU it was all about timing, we just so happened to be moving up at a time when conferences were being shaken up.

With FIU it was similar to FAU in the timing aspect but remember that FIU was already a Belt member in all other sports.

With WKU it is a similar situation as FIU, already a conference member and it just so happens that their team isn't that bad, good enought to remind me of FAU when it moved up.

Texas-State doesn't have any of this, not timing, not conference affiliation, nor a very good team.

IN SHORT… I'M AGAINST THEM MOVING INTO THE BELT
Back to the top

I support the move of Texas State to Div. 1A and affiliating with the Sun Belt. If you read the article, their time line is four or five years before moving into the division. That seems to be the same time line FAU has for moving in to a bigger conference.

And with the NCAA frowning upon conference championships, thus not giving the Sun Belt one, I think the move would force a Sun Belt school to move to another conference.

If all holds true, FAU will be dominating the Belt and will move to the Big East and Troy will move to C-USA or the MAC.

And if you really want to get wacky, there could be a Texas conference and a Florida conference just for schools in those states!!! j/k

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

I support the move of Texas State to Div. 1A and affiliating with the Sun Belt. If you read the article, their time line is four or five years before moving into the division. That seems to be the same time line FAU has for moving in to a bigger conference.

And with the NCAA frowning upon conference championships, thus not giving the Sun Belt one, I think the move would force a Sun Belt school to move to another conference.

If all holds true, FAU will be dominating the Belt and will move to the Big East and Troy will move to C-USA or the MAC.

And if you really want to get wacky, there could be a Texas conference and a Florida conference just for schools in those states!!! j/k

You kno more and more you could ALMOST see State confrences in Texas and Florida. From a cost standpoint think of the travel savings, you bus almost everywhere, your teams travel well as the longest drive is probably 5-6 hours. You get great exposure in 2 of the biggest HS football recuriting states.

Texas State Confrence

Texas
UTEP
UNT
SMU
T A&M
Texas Tech
Houston
Rice
TCU

Florida State Confrence

UM
FAU
UF
FSU
USF
UCF
FIU
FAMU (Not a D1 member I know but they are close)

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top
Control functions: