Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU revises student alcohol policy

Add topic

"For example, tailgating is not permitted more than three hours before an event, kegs are banned, unless they are operated by the school's licensed vendors, and tailgaters cannot take up a parking space. Instead, special areas will be set aside for them, the policy says."

:D

Ummm, yeah…good luck enforcing that one when the stadium gets here in 2010!

Story:  FAU revises student alcohol policy
Back to the top

Re: FAU revises student alcohol policy

We have to remember that FAU isn't at the point (other than Nunzio, Jab, Owlalumni and friends) where tailgating three hours prior to game time is a big deal. I use to be there three to four hours before game time and the tents were just going up, football operations were just getting there and the parking people weren't there yet.

I think that this revised alcohol policy thing is a great move on the university's behalf.

1. It makes the school safer
  2. It promotes responsibility
  3. NO ONE (besides those above mentioned and maybe one or two others) GETS TO THE GAMES THAT EARLY TO TAILGATE ANYWAY.

It's one of those "PR" statements that won't have any effect on the tailgating.

Know what I mean?

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

You know ive started to wonder about RV parking.

While we are not at this level yet, I could see this one coming fairly soon. Lots of Schools (even SunBelt ones) have a RV lot or section.  Is this allowed at lockhart and will there be a section at FAU's new stadium?

Im not gonna lie I could see breaking out the family hardsider once its in Boca and then i would be ok with hanging out for 3+ hours. 8-)

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

smittysahoot said

We have to remember that FAU isn't at the point (other than Nunzio, Jab, Owlalumni and friends) where tailgating three hours prior to game time is a big deal. I use to be there three to four hours before game time and the tents were just going up, football operations were just getting there and the parking people weren't there yet.

I think that this revised alcohol policy thing is a great move on the university's behalf.

1. It makes the school safer
  2. It promotes responsibility
  3. NO ONE (besides those above mentioned and maybe one or two others) GETS TO THE GAMES THAT EARLY TO TAILGATE ANYWAY.

It's one of those "PR" statements that won't have any effect on the tailgating.

Know what I mean?

Good points Smitty… :)

ill add this:

i dont know how many people that frequent this board have actually gone to a real football school - attended, not visited (we are getting there but no where near it yet) - where the students start "partying" the day BEFORE a game…this IS going to happen eventually…

I agree with you on the move, and think it is a good move…but, point to the admin here, unless they really mean to enforce it with the students, it is nothing more than PR fluff in essence…because when we get to be the football program we are all awaiting, there will be a clear line of breach on this…

And, as Owlfamily eludes to, for the rest of those who will now "ride in" for the weekend, are they going to tell them they have to park at the tri-rail station for the weekend until three hours before game time - at which time they can head over and "occupy a parking space"??

(fart in Church comes to mind)

Back to the top

Haha thanks for the kind words $mitty. For a 4pm game we'll get there around noonish or so. I remember during BBall season against FIU the game was at 7pm we got out there at I think 12:30. A lot of fun. Even with the new rules not tailgating more then 3 hours before game time isn't that big of a deal. You can't bring a keg, well that's assuming that they see it, if you put it in your back seat and leave the tap hanging out the window then they won't have any idea

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

And remember, it's ATF that has been around Lockhart - not FAU police. So FAU might be doing this in a good-faith effort to so that the city of Boca sees that they are cooperating with the City of Ft. Lauderdale.

Because like it or not, I think that FAU and the City (and most of us) would agree that having people at 9 a.m. on our campus in Boca for a 7 p.m. game wouldn't be cool. Student is one thing; but when we have an on-campus stadium, it would be an immediate risk to security. And although I think sometimes the "security" issue is overused and overplayed, when we get a stadium on campus, the last thing I want is the opposing teams fans to get a few drinks in them and start wondering around campus looking for trouble.

Anyway, back on topic.

This was smart of FAU to do this. Again, I'm sure they will enforce the rules, but if "the parking gates" at Lockhart don't open until three hours before kickoff…the rule really doesn't mean anything.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Back to the top

FAU revises student alcohol policy

smittysahoot said

3) NO ONE (besides those above mentioned and maybe one or two others) GETS TO THE GAMES THAT EARLY TO TAILGATE ANYWAY.

Smitty are you campaigning for a job at FAU or something? You can't be serious that you think this is a good idea? I guess me and my crew are part of the one or two others that get there early (our tents and DirecTV dish are up by noon). There are plenty of people who get there more than 3 hours before kickoff, and those numbers keep increasing each season. That's one of the ways we can build tradition, you know the thing everyone keeps complaining we don't have enough of. Don't we want people to get to games early AND enjoy the experience so they keep coming back?

Why don't you take an informal poll when you're at the Texas game and see how long people are tailgating before that game. I'm pretty sure it's going to be a little more than 3 hours.

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

I've gotten to games at noon and the first thing I see is the Canadian flag. In fact its a landmark at Lockhart lol. When people want to know where you parked "Look for the canadian flag we are in the row behind them" that's usually how my conversations go. So Canadian Owl does get there before we do with his margarita mixer and his directv lol

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

I'm not campaigning for a job at FAU at all.

Yes, there are some people there early. But those that are there early, like you and Jab, "party" and tailgate responsibly.

In '06, a drunk fan jumped over the fence and did pushups on the field. It was innocent, but still an incident.
In '07, a drunk fan threw a bottle at a referee.

Whether or not they were tailgating one, two or three hours before the game is irrelevant because you can get really debaucherous in 30 minutes or five hours.

But I think FAU is taking proactive steps to maintain a safe experience and I applaud those efforts.

Does tailgating hours before a game build tradition? I would agree, yes. But I think the tradition we are really trying to build is singing the fight song, chanting the chants, figuring out and then wearing school colors to the game, having bon fires on Homecoming week, etc.

Back to the top

Although I do suggest either the tailgating policy (three hours) or the parking policy (four hours) do change to become conssistant.

Stadium parking lots will open 4 hours prior to kick-off.
^^ that's from the fausports.com site. ^^

And again, I really don't think that unless hundreds of cars get to Lockhart four hours before kickoff, that tailgating for that extra hour would be a concern … unless it got out of hand.

Back to the top
Control functions: