Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

ESPN Article Regarding Coaches

These coaches leave no doubt as to who is in charge - College Football - ESPN

HS is mentioned among the best in college football.

College football's alpha-male coaches have good looks, booming voices and very deep pockets. No place are they more prevalent than in the SEC, but that isn't the only location these coaches reign.

From Notre Dame to Ohio State to USC, football coaches tend to rule the roost. It's their way or the highway, and they seem very unwilling to budge about much.

Here's a closer look at the alpha-male coaches operating outside the SEC, along with those coaches who are trying to climb the ladder in their profession:

Leaders of the pack

Frank Beamer, Virginia Tech
The Southern gentleman changed the way Virginia Tech played football and how people thought about the Hokies. He became the face of the school after the horrific April 16, 2007 shooting on the Virginia Tech campus.

Mack Brown, Texas
It seems Brown has gotten more ornery with age. The coach that was once apt to hug his players is more inclined to holler at them.

Pete Carroll, USC
Don't let the suntan and good looks confuse you. The coach that was too nice for the NFL exudes confidence and even downright cockiness on the West Coast. The Trojans do things better than most everyone else – and they're not afraid to tell you so.

Butch Davis, North Carolina
Davis learned under two of the greatest alpha males in college football history: Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer. His NFL career sputtered because his Cleveland Browns team was led by a beta male – quarterback Tim Couch.

Dennis Erickson, Arizona State
Fans might not always agree with how Erickson does it, but he's produced championship-caliber teams at all of his stops. Just when we thought Arizona State athletics director Lisa Love had lost her mind in hiring Erickson, he turned the Sun Devils into winners.

[+] EnlargeDavid Allio/Icon SMI

Pat Hill is the face and attitude of Fresno State football.
Pat Hill, Fresno State
Not only is Hill a coach you would want leading your program, but you'd also like him on your side in a dark alley. His rough-and-tough looks are a perfect match for Fresno.

Joe Paterno, Penn State
The 81-year-old coaching icon continues to scream at officials, his players, coaches and even reporters. Rest assured, Paterno won't go out quietly – if and when retirement ever comes.

Rich Rodriguez, Michigan
Rodriguez wanted to control everything at West Virginia – the Internet, who stood on the sideline during games and how the school marketed his name. The only thing he wants to control at Michigan? Ohio State, of course.

Howard Schnellenberger, Florida Atlantic
Schnellenberger coached under Paul "Bear" Bryant and used the same boot-camp mentality to rebuild crumbling programs at Miami and Louisville, before building his own program at Florida Atlantic. He was so confident in his abilities that he told Oklahoma fans, "They'll write books and make movies about my time here."

Bob Stoops, Oklahoma
Has there ever been a more booming voice in college football? It's a shame we don't hear it much once bowl games begin.

Jim Tressel, Ohio State
The man in the sweater vest and glasses reigns over the Big Ten with an iron fist. How does Tressel do it? You can read about it in his new book, "The Winners Manual: For the Game of Life."

Charlie Weis, Notre Dame
Weis was educated in the Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick schools of coaching and at times is as standoffish as his former bosses.

Moving up the line

Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State
Gundy is famous for screaming, "I'm a man!" If he's truly going to become the man, his Cowboys are going to have to win more.

Jim Harbaugh, Stanford
What other coach has the guts to criticize the academics of his alma mater before even winning a game at Stanford?

Dan Hawkins, Colorado
A little "Hawk Love" typically includes Hawkins ranting like a madman about how Colorado football "ain't intramurals, brother!"

Mike Leach, Texas Tech
There isn't a subject – or airport – Leach isn't willing to tackle. His postgame comments about officials and the Big 12 have left him in hot water more than once.

Jim Leavitt, South Florida
The Bulls love Leavitt for building their football program from scratch. Reporters who cover him sometimes cringe when hearing his baritone voice.

Bo Pelini, Nebraska
Pelini takes his no-nonsense approach to Nebraska, where he'll become the state's alpha male if he can turn the Cornhuskers into winners again.

Greg Schiano, Rutgers
Schiano has worked miracles at Rutgers, which was one of the worst programs in the country when he arrived. So much so that the Scarlet Knights seem willing to do anything to keep him there.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Re: ESPN Article Regarding Coaches

walty12 said

Jim Tressel, Ohio State
The man in the sweater vest and glasses reigns over the Big Ten with an iron fist. How does Tressel do it? You can read about it in his new book, "The Winners Manual: For the Game of Life."

Charlie Weis, Notre Dame
Weis was educated in the Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick schools of coaching and at times is as standoffish as his former bosses.

Question:

Why are either one of these guys mentioned in the same breath as HS?

Give me a stinking break…………….
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

walty12 said

Jim Tressel, Ohio State

Charlie Weis, Notre Dame

Question:

Tressel has been to 3 National Championships in the last 6 seasons.

Back to the top

walty12 said

Florida_Owl said

walty12 said

Jim Tressel, Ohio State

Charlie Weis, Notre Dame

Question:

Fair, i agree…how about this though…this is what i am thinking here:

if you are HANDED a team that is as LOADED as they are, with the athletics budget they have, and the facility resources he has been given, is it really fair to throw him in the same arena as a guy who did what could be called "great" with absolutely nothing to compare to at three different schools…

as far as accomplishement, i give HS more because like McGyver, he basically made a nuclear bomb out of a gum wrapper…while Tressel had a full staff of chemists and a lab in desert - equipped with the latest euipment…

besides, he got his @ss waxed last time out…lol
Back to the top

ESPN Article Regarding Coaches

Florida_Owl said

walty12 said

Florida_Owl said

walty12 said

Jim Tressel, Ohio State

Charlie Weis, Notre Dame

Question:

if you are handed a team that is LOADED as they are, with the athletics budget and resources he has been given is it really fair to throw him in the same arena as a guy who did what could be called "great" with absolutely nothing to compare to at three different schools…

First, I hate Ohio State.

Second, he won 4 National Titles at Youngstown State.  He has been to 3 National Championship games and beat Michigan 5 of 6 years he has been there….his legacy as a great coach is pretty much set in stone.  Lets remember…that same Ohio State program with the SAME budgets and whatnot had not went to a national title game for YEARS before he came to the program.

Just making sure credit is given where it is due.

Back to the top

walty12 said

First, I hate Ohio State.

ok, you are now my new best friend…….
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

walty12 said

Florida_Owl said

walty12 said

Jim Tressel, Ohio State

Charlie Weis, Notre Dame

Question:

Fair, i agree…how about this though…this is what i am thinking here:

if you are HANDED a team that is as LOADED as they are, with the athletics budget they have, and the facility resources he has been given, is it really fair to throw him in the same arena as a guy who did what could be called "great" with absolutely nothing to compare to at three different schools…

When mentioning how Tressel was handed a loaded team I think of Larry Coker when he took over Miami and some could even say Urban Meyer. Coker won a national championship and had success with players that Butch Davis recruited and then Coker faltered. Meyer took over a program that was loaded with talent and had all of the facilities and other pieces in place that it takes to win a national title; which he did.

Both Tressel and Meyer are very good coaches who no doubt benefited from being in very good situations.

Fact of the matter is that many coaches walk into great jobs with all or most of the pieces in place. Still doesn't compare to what Schnellenberger has done throughout his career.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top
Control functions: