Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Coach clarifies comments

This to me isn't a clarification…this is completely different from what was printed by the University Press.

I liked yesterday's better. LOL

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/palmbeach/faublog/entries/2008/08/14/howard_clarifies_remarks.html

“That wasn’t my comment. What I said was they have a very talented football team and they are the most talented team in the state of Texas. We can’t match them up with talent, but we can sure as hell try to out-hit them and win the game on turnovers and that sort of thing. “I don’t remember questioning their toughness, I was actually assessing their talent.”

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

Re: Coach clarifies comments

I have a hard time believing that the FAU sports editor lied - why doesn't Howard stand by what he said?
Back to the top

I'm not taking sides at all on this, but here's a perspective:

The UP has gone through some troubling times - especially before current adviser Michael Koretzky got there. Koretzky cleaned up the UP and has really restored the credibility the student newspaper…well…never had. Some of the most credible stories include:

A report on MTV being on campus and staging a volleyball game with playboy bunnies vs. Road Rules/Real World (one of those crews). MTV tried to pay off the UP not to print the story…and they printed it.

A 2000 or 2001 report on the student government in Tallahassee having an adult entertainer in a hotel room. Although this is legal because state money was not used, I never read the story but I would imagine they took the angle of ethics.

A 2004 story what one the Associated Collegiate Press News Story of the Year about SGs 25 % pay raise and them shutting down and suppressing the UP. I was part of that staff and we had four or five stories that year that really started the success of the investigative journalism in the UP, including uncovering the "retreat" the executive board took at the end of their term for "team building" to Key West for three days.

In 2005 and 2006, those stories continued - especially with the story on SG President Kirk Murray and the book vouchers.

ALL THAT to say that I doubt Jay Wareman, although I've only talked with him twice so I don't know him that well, or Koretzky or any other staff member would risk the credibility of the paper by even taking words out of context.

But…stranger things have happened.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

Dr said

I have a hard time believing that the FAU sports editor lied - why doesn't Howard stand by what he said?

I don't!

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Coach clarifies comments

If the reporter didn't record the interview there is a good chance that the comments were misconstrued. The reporter may have been taking shorthand notes while at the same time getting excited about the "hot" story that would develop. Next thing you know the reporter writes it up with what he thought he heard Howard say and the rest is history.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

This wasn't just some reporter though…..it was the sports editor for the paper.
Back to the top

This is not clarification, it's completely different as Smitty said.

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

If you have ever listened to Coach speak, he has a tendency to ramble a little bit.  Perhaps he did say what was quoted, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't taken out of context.  Both parties can be right in this case, but I seriously doubt Coach would ever say anything he thought could be construed as disparaging about any opponent to the media.
Back to the top

Personally, I believe coach said it to him in confidence and the guy ran with it. Regardless though, the cat is now out of the bag and I think it has actually turned into a positive for our program. I am a firm believer that any publicity is good publicity. We seem to now have a lot more interest in this game. So as far as I am concerned this is great news for FAU and it did not cost us a penny in advertising.
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

I'm not taking sides at all on this, but here's a perspective:

The UP has gone through some troubling times - especially before current adviser Michael Koretzky got there. Koretzky cleaned up the UP and has really restored the credibility the student newspaper…well…never had. Some of the most credible stories include:

A report on MTV being on campus and staging a volleyball game with playboy bunnies vs. Road Rules/Real World (one of those crews). MTV tried to pay off the UP not to print the story…and they printed it.

A 2000 or 2001 report on the student government in Tallahassee having an adult entertainer in a hotel room. Although this is legal because state money was not used, I never read the story but I would imagine they took the angle of ethics.

A 2004 story what one the Associated Collegiate Press News Story of the Year about SGs 25 % pay raise and them shutting down and suppressing the UP. I was part of that staff and we had four or five stories that year that really started the success of the investigative journalism in the UP, including uncovering the "retreat" the executive board took at the end of their term for "team building" to Key West for three days.

In 2005 and 2006, those stories continued - especially with the story on SG President Kirk Murray and the book vouchers.

ALL THAT to say that I doubt Jay Wareman, although I've only talked with him twice so I don't know him that well, or Koretzky or any other staff member would risk the credibility of the paper by even taking words out of context.

But…stranger things have happened.

I will take it VERY personally if it is revealed that Jay intentionally did this.  I worked my ass off to build a reputation for the sports department and the only reason Jay has the liberty to go talk to Howard is due to the ground work I laid years ago at the UP.

Having said that, these quotes are so strong and I am sure the UP confirmed that as being something coach said to Jay.  They have too much baggage to not cover their own butts.

Also… I know Howard mumbles and carries on.  I had to remind him a couple times our quarterbacks name was Jared Allen.

Like things, love people.
Back to the top
Control functions: