Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Newb With a Question

What's up…I'm a newb on this board. Graduated from FAU in 2007.

Question is: How long do you think it will be before 1 tier teams ( ie Texas, Clemson, UF, etc ) stope scheduling us. There was a link on here a while ago from a Michigan State board whining about having to play us.

Also…any body else think The Alumnus and the student body should push to getting our name changed back to The Burrowing Owls?

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best. - Voltaire
Back to the top

Re: Newb With a Question

Tropic said

Question is: How long do you think it will be before 1 tier teams ( ie Texas, Clemson, UF, etc ) stope scheduling us.

can't see it happening…but we do have to downgrade our schedule because of the conference's request to play more even keeled competition…we will have to have 2 money games on it…so, doubt it will happen at all…
Back to the top

Tropic said

Question is: How long do you think it will be before 1 tier teams ( ie Texas, Clemson, UF, etc ) stope scheduling us. There was a link on here a while ago from a Michigan State board whining about having to play us.

Welcome.

Opponents will be scared to schedule FAU once we get a couple solid wins against BCS opponents and prove that we are not a guaranteed "W" on the schedule. In that sense we might have a harder time scheduling top tier programs while we remain in the SBC. However, I think we will always be playing BCS opponents because eventually FAU will improve to the point of being on even ground with those programs which will hopefully mean a move to a BCS conference at some point in the not too distant future.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Tropic Lighting: While you (and a lot of us on this board, including me) were in school, we were not the Burrowing Owls. We are technically the Owls, with baseball being the Blue Wave, women's basketball being the Lady Owls and football being the fighting owls.

There is no change our name will change in the next two decades. The reason: The branding initiative in 2004.

Congrats on being a new graduate and welcome to the board. I hope you stay connected with the alumni association. If you need anything, and especially if you have any ideas, please let me know!
-$mitty

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

If anything I believe that in time FAU will become a lot like Fresno St. in the sense that they always schedule BCS teams and get them in some sort of home and home series. The only exception being that I see FAU winning more often and being known more as a giant than just a giant killer.

But that happens only if FAU never moves into a BCS conference, which if that were the case then it'd be a whole other story
Back to the top

Tropic said

What's up…I'm a newb on this board. Graduated from FAU in 2007.

Also…any body else think The Alumnus and the student body should push to getting our name changed back to The Burrowing Owls?

Welcome! I don't suppose your name has anything to do with the movie Tropic Thunder does it?

Anyway, to answer your question I don't think top tier teams will stop scheduling us, though I do think we'll have fewer people interested. If you have a team that's just above 0.500 (say 7-5) over the past 3-5 years, I think they'd be way less inclined to book us than a team that's turning out solid 10-11 win seasons.

To your section question, no I don't think we should change our name (back?) to The Burrowing Owls. However I would definitely be in favor of being The Fighting Owls, although like Smitty said I don't know how difficult it would be to get that idea adopted since the branding initiative (and apparently there was some sort of issue with Nike about adding the "Fighting" prefix… don't know the full story on that)

Thanks for stopping by. I'd encourage you to stick around and tell your friends too. This is where Owl fans congregate. And we talk about the school too, not just sports.
Back to the top

Lets not forget that we are also smack dab in the middle of one of the best recruiting areas in the country.
Back to the top

owlcountry said

Welcome! I don't suppose your name has anything to do with the movie Tropic Thunder does it?

Anyway, to answer your question I don't think top tier teams will stop scheduling us, though I do think we'll have fewer people interested. If you have a team that's just above 0.500 (say 7-5) over the past 3-5 years, I think they'd be way less inclined to book us than a team that's turning out solid 10-11 win seasons.

To your section question, no I don't think we should change our name (back?) to The Burrowing Owls. However I would definitely be in favor of being The Fighting Owls, although like Smitty said I don't know how difficult it would be to get that idea adopted since the branding initiative (and apparently there was some sort of issue with Nike about adding the "Fighting" prefix… don't know the full story on that)

Thanks for stopping by. I'd encourage you to stick around and tell your friends too. This is where Owl fans congregate. And we talk about the school too, not just sports.

Actually the movie Tropic Thunder is a play off or spin of my name. "Tropic Lightning", which is the nickname of the 25th Infantry Division. Just like "All Americans" is the name of the 82nd ID or "Screaming Eagles" is the name of the 101st ID.

The movie Tropic Thunder is a spoof on the Vietnam War movies from the 80's. Ben Stiller, who aparently really holds grudges, auditioned to play Charlie Sheens role in Oliver Stones Platoon. And you guessed it the fictional soldiers in that movie were supposed to be in the 25th ID. I've been using Tropic Lightning as my handle on message boards for years. I learned all that stuff about Ben Stillere in last months Playboy interview with him.

Any way when I first got to FAU in 1999, I swear every one still called FAU the Burrowing Owls, and there were still Owls that lived on campus. Then when the football team came along they changed their name.

God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best. - Voltaire
Back to the top

Tropic said

I learned all that stuff about Ben Stillere in last months Playboy interview with him.

i read the articles too!

WELCOME TO THE BOARD
Back to the top

Newb With a Question

Tropic said

owlcountry said

Any way when I first got to FAU in 1999, I swear every one still called FAU the Burrowing Owls, and there were still Owls that lived on campus. Then when the football team came along they changed their name.

Yes we still have Burrowing Owls on campus. 1999 - 2003 were our biggest years of identity crisis. Our school colors were officially gray and blue, but you wouldn't have known that with teams wearing white and red. And the logo had yellow; a accent color that was added in the office of University Advancement to bring out the blues and grays. - True story or at least that's what was told to me by the person who claimed to be responsible for adding the yellow.

We also had 84 different Owl Logos and four team nicknames; Fighting Owls, Lady Owls, Owls and Blue Wave.

Now, stuff like that isn't unheard of - Alabama Crimson Tide has an elephant as a mascot; Miami Hurricanes have an Ibis, North Texas Mean Green are also the Eagles, etc.

But it was better for FAU, who was starting a capital campaign, to identify with one logo, a few colors and one brand.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top
Control functions: