Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Stadium Funding

Add topic

Re: Stadium Funding

faudiehard said

They need to start thinking outside the box. One example would be to have a raffle. The raffle would include 4 skybox passes for 1 game. All you can eat and drink. If they charged $100.00 per raffle ticket and got at least $1,500 people to play, they would make $150,000.00. If they promoted this the right way, it would be a snap to achieve….

I like the raffle idea. I would throw down $100 for a shot at it.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

faudiehard said

They need to start thinking outside the box. One example would be to have a raffle. The raffle would include 4 skybox passes for 1 game. All you can eat and drink. If they charged $100.00 per raffle ticket and got at least $1,500 people to play, they would make $150,000.00. If they promoted this the right way, it would be a snap to achieve….

Not to rain on your parade here, but good luck finding 1500 people to pay $100 for the chance to go to see an Owls game in a suite.  I'd rather they used that $100 to buy season tickets for this season.

But let's just say your raffle worked.  The problem is that they need MAJOR amounts of money.  Not that $150K is anything to sneeze at, but they need 7 and 8 figure donations.  Would a raffle like that be a good idea?  Sure, anything that raises money is needed for the program.  But it is not a particuarly effective way to raise money for stadium construction.  For that they need corporations and donors with deep pockets.
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

faudiehard said

Not to rain on your parade here, but good luck finding 1500 people to pay $100 for the chance to go to see an Owls game in a suite.  I'd rather they used that $100 to buy season tickets for this season.

But let's just say your raffle worked.  The problem is that they need MAJOR amounts of money.  Not that $150K is anything to sneeze at, but they need 7 and 8 figure donations.  Would a raffle like that be a good idea?  Sure, anything that raises money is needed for the program.  But it is not a particularly effective way to raise money for stadium construction.  For that they need corporations and donors with deep pockets.

I am well aware of the amount needed. However, the $150K would be just 1 example of how to achieve the desired amount. I was just trying to make a point of how easy it would be to get $100k + in donations. Yes, we need 1 big sponsor, but $100k + coming in on a continues basis would help out a lot. Especially since they are estimating the cost to build at $16,000.00 per seat. Give the people/businesses something they would really want and the money will flow in. Another example might be to approach all the businesses in south Florida and have a raffle for say $300.00. With that your company would get a chance to win an entrance to the stadium named after your company for an entire season. If they got 500 companies to sign up, it would be an additional  $150K…..It can start to add up quickly.
Back to the top

Oh....one other thought to raise money, would be by puting our business school to work. Have a course dedicated to making a Division 1 football stadium a success. In that course it would cover all of the financial costs associated with building a stadium At the end of the course the students need to write an essay on how to achieve a profitable stadium. The winner of the essay would win something besides for an "A"....What FAU could win would be potentially millions...
Back to the top

faudiehard said

fauowls44 said

faudiehard said

But let's just say your raffle worked.  The problem is that they need MAJOR amounts of money.  Not that $150K is anything to sneeze at, but they need 7 and 8 figure donations.  Would a raffle like that be a good idea?  Sure, anything that raises money is needed for the program.  But it is not a particularly effective way to raise money for stadium construction.  For that they need corporations and donors with deep pockets.

I am well aware of the amount needed. However, the $150K would be just 1 example of how to achieve the desired amount. I was just trying to make a point of how easy it would be to get $100k + in donations. Yes, we need 1 big sponsor, but $100k + coming in on a continues basis would help out a lot. Especially since they are estimating the cost to build at $16,000.00 per seat. Give the people/businesses something they would really want and the money will flow in. Another example might be to approach all the businesses in south Florida and have a raffle for say $300.00. With that your company would get a chance to win an entrance to the stadium named after your company for an entire season. If they got 500 companies to sign up, it would be an additional  $150K…..It can start to add up quickly.

I'm not disagreeing with you.  Those are certainly ways to raise money but I just don't see how you'd get people or companies to give you money right now with this economy for the 1 in 500 chance to win something.  Now if you were to offer 20 tickets to a game, an ad in the game program, and a shot to win something, then you might have something there.  That way they are at least getting something tangible for their money.

By the way, I believe it is $1600 per seat, not $16,000.
Back to the top

Stadium Funding

Too bad countrywide is gone…. they would of financed the stadium – no questions asked…  ;D

Peyton
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

Or an online fundraising thing like how Obama raised millions with small donations.  If just the registered members of Owls Nest gave 10 bucks a piece thats 8 grand.  If we gave that 10 bucks every month wed have almost a million dollars.  It adds up with large groups and we all know that the alumni base of FAU is larger than just the owls nest.  Set up a campaign online where people are encouraged to give between 1 and 10 dollars each month for the next year and send all the alumni a thing in the mail telling them how important they are.  Then give them a gift card or some coupons to a restaurant or whatever if they give.  Also tell them its tax deductible.  Do whatever it takes.

Maybe we at the Owls Nest should lead the way?  Each of us pledge 10 dollars a month.  I'm gonna "ask the AD" if we can get a website setup.

That is something that I have looked into and plan of starting soon - my problem is, to many things to do.

I do have a few hurdle left to get things started.  Hopefully very soon.

Back to the top

Bytor could give Angelos a big check on behalf of the owlsnest

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

Bytor said

SeminOWL2006 said

Or an online fundraising thing like how Obama raised millions with small donations.  If just the registered members of Owls Nest gave 10 bucks a piece thats 8 grand.  If we gave that 10 bucks every month wed have almost a million dollars.  It adds up with large groups and we all know that the alumni base of FAU is larger than just the owls nest.  Set up a campaign online where people are encouraged to give between 1 and 10 dollars each month for the next year and send all the alumni a thing in the mail telling them how important they are.  Then give them a gift card or some coupons to a restaurant or whatever if they give.  Also tell them its tax deductible.  Do whatever it takes.

Maybe we at the Owls Nest should lead the way?  Each of us pledge 10 dollars a month.  I'm gonna "ask the AD" if we can get a website setup.

That is something that I have looked into and plan of starting soon - my problem is, to many things to do.

I do have a few hurdle left to get things started.  Hopefully very soon.

I love the idea…but in essence…that's the same thing the Owl Club does. Small donations monthly (if you break your $250 yearly donation to $25 a month.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top
Control functions: