Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Mack Brown worried about FAU

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/big12/0-1-233/Brown-concerned-about-FAU-s-experience--passing-game.html

Highlights:
"This team will be the best that we've seen come in here for an opener," Brown said about FAU.

These guys will be playing a great passing team in a first ballgame against a team with great skill. They'll (FAU) move the ball against anybody they'll play. That's why those safeties will have to come out being good. They'll have to play older than they are."

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

Re: Mack Brown worried about FAU

smittysahoot said

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/big12/0-1-233/Brown-concerned-about-FAU-s-experience--passing-game.html

Highlights:
"This team will be the best that we've seen come in here for an opener," Brown said about FAU.

These guys will be playing a great passing team in a first ballgame against a team with great skill. They'll (FAU) move the ball against anybody they'll play. That's why those safeties will have to come out being good. They'll have to play older than they are."

WOW…

"It's hard to test them to get them ready against a bunch throwing the ball as much as Florida Atlantic," Brown said. "We're going to have to be ready to play in the opening game and we'll have to play well. They'll throw the ball against us. And their quarterback is a great player."

Man, I hope it's not one of those situations where Rusty Smith is the great QB that comes along and establishes a program, then when he leaves (drafted or not) we have trouble trying to find a QB that's as good as he is.

Good news is, both Kooi and Wilbert seem to be solid QBs. They've beeen coming along well in these first couple of weeks. They throw interceptions, yes, butt they're doing a lot better in scrimmages than I thought they would. Meanwhile VanCamp is slipping a little bit. He still has the arm, the ability to get out of a collapsing pocket and the penchant for running the ball himself yet his ability to move the chains is not as reliable as Rusty.

Back to the top

For us to have a chance in this ballgame, we need to be concerned with our defense. We need to be disruptive enough to force turnovers and shake up their timing. If our "D" goes toe to toe with their offense, they will pull away in the second half. My question is, can we break down the pocket? If we can do that, an upset could be on the horizon……

A.Hermida '96

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

Those comments by Mack emphasizes the fact that we won't be creeping up anybody this year - catching a sleeping giant off guard.  Teams will be prepared and ready for the Owls.

So, now the Owls will have to play every down - something we had trouble doing last year.

We have the same problem as Texas with our secondary.

There has been talk about Texas being soft, Yet I'm concerned about our Defense being soft this year, which has never been the case in the past.

Back to the top

Here are Mack's complete comments after yesterday's practice. Very complimentary to FAU on multiple occasions:

http://www.texassports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082008aab.html
Back to the top

Dr said

Here are Mack's complete comments after yesterday's practice. Very complimentary to FAU on multiple occasions:

Dr:

What a positive FAU post! Did you miss your morning "bottle"?? ;D
Back to the top

Mack Brown worried about FAU

Silver_Bullet32 said

For us to have a chance in this ballgame, we need to be concerned with our defense. We need to be disruptive enough to force turnovers and shake up their timing. If our "D" goes toe to toe with their offense, they will pull away in the second half. My question is, can we break down the pocket? If we can do that, an upset could be on the horizon……

A.Hermida '96

Our D is definitely the key but we also need a solid running game to balance our throwing game… we can't always throw the ball!!!!
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

Dr said

Dr:

What a positive FAU post! Did you miss your morning "bottle"?? ;D

Se what happens when I post sober! By 3pm, I'll have an extremely inflammatory, profanity-drenched post ready to go…….
Back to the top

Not to take the wind out of your sails guys, but Mack talks about every upcoming opponent this way – you'd think Baylor was the 72 Dolphins and Iowa State was the 85 Bears.

But he certainly is taking you guys seriously, he took a lot of heat when we scuffled against Piggy State and Central Florida last year (and you're obviously better than both).  I wouldn't have expected our guys to come out flat anyway now that Muschamp is handling the D, and of course Howard gave our guys a nice little pep talk.  Can't imagine what he was thinking, our home crowd is normally fairly passive in games we expect to win, but now there will be 95,000+ screaming as if you guys are ou.  Big mistake, Howard.  Ask Rudy Carpenter what happens when you call Texas soft…

So don't mistake Mack's political correctness for fear, he expects to mudhole you guys, no disrespect intended.

Hope you enjoy the tailgating though.
Back to the top

TexArcher said

(and you're obviously better than both

well thank you!
Back to the top
Control functions: