Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

O.K. whats going on with the Band this year

Add topic

Re: O.K. whats going on with the Band this year

FAUfasho said

I've been in RA training .

I feel your pain! You'll really enjoy being an RA. It's a great experience and you meet a lot of great friends. You have the opportunity to sharpen your leadership skills and continue to add to an already impressive resume.

Believe it or not, I miss the 2 a.m. phone calls when people are locked out of their room, need help with something or are in trouble. What truly makes RAs is not the breaking up of parties, or the small events you plan, but being there when students need you the most. Example: my little brother in AEPi use to call me all the time in the middle of the night to "say hi." (He was drunk). So I told him…there are only two reasons from this point forward you call me 1) If you are drunk and can't drive home and 2) if there is a fire.

Low and behold, a week later, a student throws a roach down the garbage shute in HPT and starts a very small and contained fire in the garbage room of the building. I get a phone call from my little brother…and I'll never forget it…"Uhhh $mitty, remember what you told me about calling you? There's a fire and I'm standing outside."

LOL. Good times. Him and two girls ended up sleeping my room that night while I helped the HPT staff "secure the perimeter" and not let anyone back into the building until we were "all clear."

You'll like the RA job. Just remember: You are a leader and you must lead by example. And always go one step further than everyone else. Make sure you are always there to help students when they need you most.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

FAUfasho said

But I will tell you, our line is HUGE this year, and also, the talent level has gone up a notch or two. We are probably going to be putting 6 snares, 3 tenors, 5 basses and 4 or 5 cymbals. The band isn't that big, but for the first time we have alot of returning members and not as many freshman. If we had the same amount of freshman that we usually do, we'd be a pretty decent size, but there are still some folks that are going to be in it, but aren't. I do think that the talent level all around talent level in the band has gone up, which is only going to make us better, so it should be a great year, even if we are small.

Very nice!!! ;D
Back to the top

O.K. whats going on with the Band this year

FAUfasho said

I've been in RA training and dealing with move-ins and junk so I haven't really been able to be with the drumline as much I'd like (i'm the section leader). But I will tell you, our line is HUGE this year, and also, the talent level has gone up a notch or two. We are probably going to be putting 6 snares, 3 tenors, 5 basses and 4 or 5 cymbals. The band isn't that big, but for the first time we have alot of returning members and not as many freshman. If we had the same amount of freshman that we usually do, we'd be a pretty decent size, but there are still some folks that are going to be in it, but aren't. I do think that the talent level all around talent level in the band has gone up, which is only going to make us better, so it should be a great year, even if we are small.

Maybe I missed it, but why do we have less Freshman than normal?

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

Maybe more upperclassmen on campus? That's not a bad thing…that means we are retaining them.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

walty12 said

Maybe more upperclassmen on campus? That's not a bad thing…that means we are retaining them.

Yeah, with the schools attendance growing year to year and coming off of a Bowl win I figured there would be a rise in interest for the band among incoming freshman.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

FAUfasho said

I've been in RA training and dealing with move-ins and junk so I haven't really been able to be with the drumline as much I'd like (i'm the section leader). But I will tell you, our line is HUGE this year, and also, the talent level has gone up a notch or two. We are probably going to be putting 6 snares, 3 tenors, 5 basses and 4 or 5 cymbals. The band isn't that big, but for the first time we have alot of returning members and not as many freshman. If we had the same amount of freshman that we usually do, we'd be a pretty decent size, but there are still some folks that are going to be in it, but aren't. I do think that the talent level all around talent level in the band has gone up, which is only going to make us better, so it should be a great year, even if we are small.

I have no idea why we don't have more freshman, maybe its just an off year. If we keep the same amount of returners next year and get alot of freshman we'll be in good shape.

Smitty, you were actually my RA two years ago,lol…and thanks for the encouragement.
Back to the top

Yes, I know. Room 275 R. Don't think I don't remember!

Back to the top

Go Band!

BTW, Troy is bringing a much larger larger than normal pep band.
Back to the top

BMarkey said

Go Band!

Does Troy's band normally travel to away games or is this just an exception b/c of espn and all?
Back to the top

b_rider72 said

BMarkey said

Go Band!

Does Troy's band normally travel to away games or is this just an exception b/c of espn and all?

Troy usually travels to a few of their road games.  This year I believe the full band is headed to MTSU and LSU. And pep-bands to FAU, NT, and ULM.

AEA
Go play Intramural Sports! www.fau.edu/campusrec/imsports/
Back to the top
Control functions: