Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU is the upset special of the week....

FAU is the upset special of the week....

Error Page

54-1: Everything's bigger in this upset of the week

August 28, 2008 6:16 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Graham Watson

Every week I'm going to pick the ultimate long shot among the 54 teams I cover. I'm not claiming victory for this team, but I am giving the long shot a shot at winning against the spread.

This week's 54-1 is …

Wait for it …

Wait … For … It …

Florida Atlantic -24

That's right. I believe Texas is not a physically tough team. OK, that's not true, but I do think Florida Atlantic is undervalued at -24.

Two weeks ago, I would have given FAU a chance to actually win this game, but head coach Howard Schnellenberger had to talk trash. It might inspire his team, but I guarantee it just ticked Texas off.

Still you have to like Florida Atlantic for two reasons: Rusty Smith and Cortez Gent, the most underrated quarterback/wide receiver duo in the country. FAU returns 10 offensive players from last year's 8-5 team, a team that scored 20 points on Florida. With Texas' young secondary, Smith will have a 300-yard day and no more than a 10-point loss.

I mean, come on, Arkansas State almost beat the Longhorns in last season's opener and the Red Wolves (then Indians) finished the year 5-7.

Mark it down

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Re: FAU is the upset special of the week....

If we score 14 points before they score any, we'll win

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

If we score 14 points before they score any, we'll win

Not sure about that logic as Texas has proven that it can win games from behind (see USC, OSU several times, etc.) with and without Vince.  Should be a great game.  All you Owl fans have a great time in Austin.  Hook em.
Back to the top

Don't bring facts into this!
Back to the top

*laughing*

You are correct that they have made some pretty remarkable comebacks.

But from a mental standpoint, if FAU can get up 14 points early, I think our team will have a lot more confidence and play better.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

Are we forgetting our injuries? Anyone have any updates on this except the Nick Paris one?
Back to the top

But from a mental standpoint, if FAU can get up 14 points early, I think our team will have a lot more confidence and play better.

No doubt that would give any team a lot of confidence on the road in a hostile environment.  We'll justs have to wait and see.  I'm really excited CF is finally here.
Back to the top

i bet paris plays off the bench.
Back to the top

Exit39 said

i bet paris plays off the bench.

Be kind of tough from Boca…….

:-\
Back to the top

ouch! really? did not know that.
Back to the top
Control functions: