Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

My thoughts...

After sleeping on what happened last night these are my thoughts on the Texas game…

I was never one of the people here who thought we could go into Austin and win the game.  Not after the scare they had in their opener last year.  They are just too talented to have that happen 2 years in a row.  A upset would have been awesome, but playing them close for a half would have been nice.  They almost did that.  The 1st half was full of missed oppertunities.  I thought the offense moved the ball well and Rusty played very well.  If we convert on one of those early trips to the red zone, the game is more competitive.  The running game was non-existent, but when they got down early and pretty much had to throw and they had some success doing that.  The defense was just over matched.  This was the most talented offensive unit the Owls will see.  They are one of the best offenses in the country, so that the D struggled to make stops was not a shock.  I still think this D will be much improved this season.  This was just a very tough matchup for them, or just about any team in the nation.

The positives I take from this is:

1. Rusty and the passing game showed it can move the ball on anyone in the country.  We should be able to light up SBC teams, and the rest of our non-conference schedule.  Next week against UAB, who gave up a ton of passing yards to Tulsa at home should be fun to watch!

2.  I though the offensive line(bad snap aside) did a nice job of giving Rusty time to make plays against a Texas D-line of all senior talent.

3.  No major injuries.  I read that Rusty was thought to have injured his shoulder on that bad snap, but came back in and played well after that, so he appears to be just fine.  I didn't see anything about Council, but he was able to walk off the field on his own power, so i'm thinking he'll be OK as well.

4.  The TE's Housler and Grant looked great.  We'll still miss Harmon, but I think those two should fill in well.  Grant already seems like a favorite target of Rusty's.

5.  Hey, $900K is $900K, no matter how ugly the game got in the 2nd half.

So last night got out of hand in the 2nd half, this game should do nothing to temper the excitment for this season.  We'll be just fine.

Looking ahead:

Next week against UAB will be a better test for us, and I expect to see a big improvement.  UAB isn't very good, and they just gave up 45 points and 600 yards of offense in their home opener.  This game shouldn't be close.  The season starts next Saturday.  Let's pack Lockhart and take out the fustrations of last night on UAB!  Go Owls!!

Back to the top

Re: My thoughts...

In one game we paid all of our football scholarships, and the noise that this board made helped to get coverage on ESPN and other sites, who bought into our own bluster.  2 redzone turnovers changed the tone of this game, and we could not play out of desperation later and expect to win.

It was as was expected.. Heck maybe now we can sneak up on Michigan St. Now lets try and go 11-1 or 10-2.  Hell we can go 6-6 and still get to a bowl game, so buck up owls, lets go slay some dragons!

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

i thought we pulled the starters out, again, way to early…

the only difference between this game and the UF game was that we turned the ball over…

Had we not done that, we could be looking at a respectable 52-24…

Regardless, our defense needs SERIOUS WORK…other wise we will not be in a Bowl Game, mush less SBC Champs.
Back to the top

We could go 6-6 and make it to a bowl game…with some help, even if we arent sbc champs.  Our defense is ok, they never could stop bcs teams so why are we complaining about them…they are as good as they ever were.

2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

We could go 6-6 and make it to a bowl game…with some help, even if we arent sbc champs.  Our defense is ok, they never could stop bcs teams so why are we complaining about them…they are as good as they ever were.

Agreed.  We gave up 59, 42, and 45 to UF, Ok St., and Kentucky last year and turned out OK…so why are people panicing now?  This defense will be better then last year, even if it didn't look like it last night.  You can't judge how good we are defenisvely against the #10 team in the country.  They are by far the most talented group we will see all year.  Come next week, you'll see a big improvement.  We are still more then talented enough to beat SBC teams and the rest of our schedule.  Use yesterday as a wake up call, learn from the mistakes, and move on.  I have no doubt that the coaching staff will get the mistakes corrected.
Back to the top

My thoughts...

FAU football was jojo the indian circus boy at Texas

Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

In one game we paid all of our football scholarships, and the noise that this board made helped to get coverage on ESPN and other sites, who bought into our own bluster.  2 redzone turnovers changed the tone of this game, and we could not play out of desperation later and expect to win.

It was as was expected.. Heck maybe now we can sneak up on Michigan St. Now lets try and go 11-1 or 10-2.  Hell we can go 6-6 and still get to a bowl game, so buck up owls, lets go slay some dragons!

If we want to get back the good vibes we had going into the season, we need to win the next three. Especially if you want the national attention that will come from beating Michigan State. But that's going to be a rough game and we may fall hard there too. You know everybody and their mother watched this game last night and realized the way to beat FAU is to put all your guys in to pressure Rusty.
Back to the top

owlcountry said

SeminOWL2006 said

If we want to get back the good vibes we had going into the season, we need to win the next three. Especially if you want the national attention that will come from beating Michigan State. But that's going to be a rough game and we may fall hard there too. You know everybody and their mother watched this game last night and realized the way to beat FAU is to put all your guys in to pressure Rusty.

Umm…can't you say that about EVERY team?  If you don't give the QB time to throw, you'll probably win.
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

#10 team in the country.  They are by far the most talented group we will see all year.  Come next week, you'll see a big improvement.

Fair point, but i want to revisit this at seasons end, when UT is not even in the top 25 ;)
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

fauowls44 said

#10 team in the country.  They are by far the most talented group we will see all year.  Come next week, you'll see a big improvement.

Fair point, but i want to revisit this at seasons end, when UT is not even in the top 25 ;)

They have aspirations of an NC after what happened at our game.

Don't get me wrong, they were a very good team on Saturday. But I sincerely doubt NC talks will happen since a team that… better executes than we did… should be able to drive down the field against Texas with as much ease as us in the first half. If we could get to the endzone, you better believe other teams will be able to.

I know people keep mentioning D line… and I've already said my piece on that. But if our O-line had functioned better, Rusty would have had more time and we would have been (at least) 24-28 at the half. Look at the tape. If Paris hadn't been hurt, we wouldn't have botched the snap in the first drive. If Rizzo had kept up with the Texas DE, Rusty would have had more time to realize he shouldn't throw it down the middle to Gent (who had three or four guys crowding him) and he could have hit Charles Pierre on the left side. Pierre was covered but it would have been a better opportunity.

Things like that.
Back to the top
Control functions: