Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Sunbelt Weekend in Review

From ESPN columnist Graham Watson

Sun Belt had a rough first weekend

"For as much as people want to talk about the Sun Belt being a conference on the rise, it's still not even close to the level – top to bottom – of the other non-BCS teams in terms of competitiveness against the BCS.

The Sun Belt managed just two wins – Troy's win over Middle Tennessee State (a team in the same conference) and Arkansas State's win over Texas A&M – in the eight games that were played this weekend. The losses were by an average of 35 points, and that doesn't include Troy's 31-17 win over Middle Tennessee State.

I was most surprised at the result of Florida Atlantic's game against Texas. FAU is supposed to be the class of the Sun Belt with one of the best quarterbacks in the country. Against Texas, they looked like just another team standing in the way of Texas' road to another undefeated non-conference schedule.

I didn't expect FAU to win the game, but I at least expected the Owls to be within 20 points. They played OK in the first half, but mistakes cost them points.

The upside for FAU is that it got the stuffing beaten out of it by Oklahoma State last year and still went on to win eight games. I believe the same will happen this year because the Sun Belt is weak.

I will say that Arkansas State's win over Texas A&M was pleasantly shocking. The Red Wolves beat A&M with good defense and a little luck. Prior to this game, I hadn't considered Arkansas State a player in the Sun Belt race, but now they have to be in the conversation."

I think we were all a little surprised by FAU's poor performance.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Re: Sunbelt Weekend in Review

owlfan1 said

"The upside for FAU is that it got the stuffing beaten out of it by Oklahoma State last year and still went on to win eight games. I believe the same will happen this year because the Sun Belt is weak."

I don't care how "weak" people think it is, and wether or not it is true or not…if our defense doesnt improve, we won't be winning jack.
Back to the top

Sunbelt Weekend in Review

Florida_Owl said

owlfan1 said

"The upside for FAU is that it got the stuffing beaten out of it by Oklahoma State last year and still went on to win eight games. I believe the same will happen this year because the Sun Belt is weak."

I don't care how "weak" people think it is, and wether or not it is true or not…if our defense doesnt improve, we won't be winning jack.

I agree. We need to do things to have a successful year.

1) Get the running game on track.

2) Get the defense on track.

If those two things happen by the time we head into conference play we will be difficult to stop.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Why do we not use Willie Rose more - he is a beast and almost unstoppable. WHY  ???
Back to the top

I agree with Florida_Owl, If guys don't step up its going to be a long season. For the life of me I don't understand why we don't seem to make adjustments at half time. We make mistakes and instead of adjusting we come back out and continue. Someone on the D needs to step up and be a leader. It's a little disappointing not seeing one of these guys motivated at taking it on like Pinninck did, even when he was out. That is so important, in keeping guys on track and keeping their heads in the game.

A lot of people are criticizing HS for his comment and he probably could have picked some better words but that has nothing to do with the way the game played out, Sloppy. A lot of bad choices throughout the whole game, like it was mentioned before about a wake up call. Last year is last year and if any of these guys are wearing the rings from last year they Need to stow them till the seasdon ends. Damn FIU did better then we did and they were ranked at the bottom of the list. I know Kansas isn't Texas but don't they are ranked up there close to Texas. The whole team needs to settle down and regroup get off their butts and get this thing gone like they mean it.

Lets deposit our 900K check in the bank and get ready for UAB, the past is the past.
Back to the top

Talon said

For the life of me I don't understand why we don't seem to make adjustments at half time.

We did, we put the second string in for 2/3 of the second half? ;D  :-\  :'(
Back to the top
Control functions: