Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Texas Trip Recaps

Just got back myself, and while a lot of my trip was documented on teds blog……or atleast the funny parts.

I have to say that some things are bigger in texas.

A. Tailgates (wow…..i took some notes and the Dirty Birds will adapt to that lifestyle FAST!)

B. Class (I have never gone to a city being the "other" team and been welcomed with such hospitality.  A lot of this had to do with the alumni of the school and not the students….but overall Mostly everyone was really nice.)

C. Stadium (HOLY CRAP-OLA BATMAN…..and i cant wait to see the add on that everyone was talking about)

Now as for the Owls performance…..I went to see a football game, and I saw Texas show up, but our Defense defenatly didnt.  While we had glimmers of hope from Rusty, we have a lot to learn from this game and a very short time to learn it.  UAB next and then Mich State.  I think if we opened up yesterday against a average sunbelt team we would have won but TEXAS was just TOO BIG!!!

Post your recaps and pictures on this thread that way everyone can read them…..also pictures if you have them!
Back to the top

Re: Texas Trip Recaps

Looks like Friday night was THE NIGHT to go to 6th street. The Dirty Birds were walking around 6th around 9pm looking for a place to grab some drinks when we saw this place the Dizzy Rooster flying an FAU flag. The guy at the door said they do it for every school that plays Texas so we went in and were pretty much the only ones in there.

Well we knew that had to change, a few phone calls by Nunzio and then soon after the ENTIRE bar was filled with FAU fans. We ruled the bar that night and it was a lot of fun. Cheap drinks. a lot of dancing on the pool tables and 200 FAU fans (I'm guessing it was around there) all chanting and yelling F-A-U! it made for a fun night. We paid for our fun on Sat morning lol but it was well worth it

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Here are some pictures from the Dirty Birds Trip!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2088042&l=28e70&id=33404635

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2088055&l=5d6ac&id=33404635

i'd love hear and see what some other thought about Texas!
Back to the top

Jab979 said

saw this place the Dizzy Rooster flying an FAU flag. The guy at the door said they do it for every school that plays Texas so we went in and were pretty much the only ones in there

Guy obviously paid attention in Marketing class…Lol.
Back to the top

Glad y'all had a good time.  Never go to Columbus Ohio.
Back to the top

As FAU alumni we made the trip to Texas to cheer on the owls. We had a good time and will be attending many more games both home and away (win or lose). We especially want to congratulate the students who attended. You did a great job decorating the hotel lobby, making the team welcome when they arrived and cheering them on the whole game. We had one slight problem. We don't care to stand up the whole game. We do stand during kick-offs, exciting plays, etc. We're perfectly alright with the students standing if they want to and appreciate their enthusiasm. During home games usually all the students sit together and stand as a group. But for instance at Texas, the students did have some seats together and then others seats scattered. Some stood in the first row all across the FAU section (two deep in some spots) even though some of the non-student fans were sitting behind them. Therefore there were a lot of us that didn't see much of the game. We saw most of it on the jumbotron. We were on the 2nd row but if we stood up to look to the right down the field could not see because of the 1st row standers. If we sat we had to look between standers at the jumbotron. It was not a fun situation for us. We are great fans also and students at one time and really do appreciate the support of the students. Is there some compromise or is our only solution to refuse any tickets below a certain row so we can see the game?
Back to the top

emptynester said

As FAU alumni we made the trip to Texas to cheer on the owls. We had a good time and will be attending many more games both home and away (win or lose). We especially want to congratulate the students who attended. You did a great job decorating the hotel lobby, making the team welcome when they arrived and cheering them on the whole game. We had one slight problem. We don't care to stand up the whole game. We do stand during kick-offs, exciting plays, etc. We're perfectly alright with the students standing if they want to and appreciate their enthusiasm. During home games usually all the students sit together and stand as a group. But for instance at Texas, the students did have some seats together and then others seats scattered. Some stood in the first row all across the FAU section (two deep in some spots) even though some of the non-student fans were sitting behind them. Therefore there were a lot of us that didn't see much of the game. We saw most of it on the jumbotron. We were on the 2nd row but if we stood up to look to the right down the field could not see because of the 1st row standers. If we sat we had to look between standers at the jumbotron. It was not a fun situation for us. We are great fans also and students at one time and really do appreciate the support of the students. Is there some compromise or is our only solution to refuse any tickets below a certain row so we can see the game?

I feel you… just have to make the students in front of you aware of your situation.

At UF, we had some retirement age Gator fans behind us ask the FAU students to sit down. I complied but the drunk dudes in front of me said that we're FAU and we don't sit down for anyone.

During the course of the game, two security officers came over and asked them to sit down… they even made an announcement during the game over the loudspeakers…
Back to the top

ya not to sound like an a$$ but i had some texas fans ask me to sit during warm-ups…..i did but i told them come start of the game i didnt fly 1200 miles to sit…..and im a big guy…..so anyone sitting behind me…sorry! but the jumbo tron was the best seat in the house!
Back to the top

Texas Trip Recaps

They were aware of the situation. A couple of the people behind them even told them they were in their seats and they said "well, this is the way that this is done, they do it at all the games, it doesn't matter about the number of the seat". In fact they never once turned around the whole game to look behind them. I don't think they cared. They thought they were entitled to that spot two deep in the front row. They did sit down for a brief moment during halftime and the other students yelled at them to stand up. Don't know what the students pay for an away game but we had to pay $65 a seat to watch a jumbotron and the back of the students. The atmosphere except that was great.
Back to the top

If it makes you feel any better, our section wasn't great to see the game once it moved to the other side of the field anyway. Even though I was happy standing to see over people I spent a lot of time watching on the Jumbotron because your depth perception is screwy from that distance.

Very nice jumbotron BTW, that thing is the real deal.
Back to the top
Control functions: