Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Sportsline glog about VanCamp

"Though this [Texas] game was decided long ago, Jeff Van Camp has looked rusty in mop-up duty for FAU, going 2 for 8 for 2 yards. It's probably a good decision by Schnellenberger to get his backup QB some reps here. In this game, he threw the ball worse than a can of Van Camp's Baked Beans would have."

ouch.
Back to the top

Re: Sportsline glog about VanCamp

If it's the truth…speak it! The guy looked terrible. I'll give him the benefit of doubt in that he's never taken a snap with 90+K fans around, or less by that time, so the nerves could have been there. We need to go up 40 on UAB this weekend to give him some more reps.
Back to the top

He took snaps at Florida…no excuses play like a champion.  Nice kid but I'm looking to the future with Wilbert/Kooi

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

If it's the truth…speak it! The guy looked terrible. I'll give him the benefit of doubt in that he's never taken a snap with 90+K fans around, or less by that time, so the nerves could have been there. We need to go up 40 on UAB this weekend to give him some more reps.

SeminOWL2006 said

He took snaps at Florida…no excuses play like a champion.  Nice kid but I'm looking to the future with Wilbert/Kooi

Totally agree…

One could say it was because he was throwing to the first team, but the fact was he wasn't…he was throwing to the guys he used to throwing to - 2nd team…

All the more reason to at least move the ball…

On a positive note, he's got some wheels for his size…

But we don't need another Clayton…we need a solid back up to Rusty…
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

He was 2-for-5 against UF but I don't remember if he earned a first down.

Fact is, VanCamp just doesn't have enough experience. I do think he'll do fine against some of the weaker SBC teams though.
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

I concur…
Back to the top

Do you really want to waste a Red-Shirt on Kooi or Wibert to play back-up this year - I think VanCamp will do fine as a back-up and has proven it during both spring & fall camps.

The guys doesn't much playing experience, but look at the demeanor at that period of the game - kind of a tough situation and it can be tough to get ready on a wimps in those conditions (he should always be prepared, but when you have Rusty in there, you expect him to be there for the long haul).

The kid has a good arm & is very good on his feet, still need a bit move maturing, there are times he doesn't make the best decisions, but heck we said that about Rusty once upon a time.

Back to the top

He was thrown into a very difficult position against Texas. He can rebound and have a good showing the next time he sees the field.

Look at the QB for UCLA against Tennessee. Was the third string QB, but got the start due to injuries. 4 picks in the first half and the kid turns it around and plays a virtually flawless second hlaf to lead UCLA to the upset win.

I am not saying that Van Camp can do something quite as dramatic, but I definitely think we will see some strong improvement from him.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Bytor said

The kid has a good arm & is very good on his feet, still need a bit move maturing, there are times he doesn't make the best decisions, but heck we said that about Rusty once upon a time.

Well, that is a good question…it depends on who you were asking at the time…….

Us after the 6-0 loss on National TV:

He sucks x 10,000 on crack.

Howard:

He has great potential.

So, now, on Vancamp:

Us:

Um, er…well, *sigh*…doh!

Howard:

He hasn't shown me he is ready to play in a game. (basically to that effect)

:-\

Back to the top

Sportsline glog about VanCamp

I believe Jeff Van Camp will do just fine. If you watched the game he played when the second string was in and Texas kept there 1st string in the game. Lets give him a chance the only way any one will et better is to have reps, Rusty got his now give to Jeff.  Go owls, beat UAB
Back to the top
Control functions: