Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

PBP stadium update

Add topic

The BIG NEWS is there's no news yet.
What's up with Florida Atlantic University's stadium?

How's this for a comment from an FAU official…

"Florida Atlantic University Counsel David Kian, who is overseeing FAU's stadium project, said today there is no hard deadline for fundraising, but that September has been targeted “as the month to develop a final financial plan that would be rolled out to the Board of Trustees in the fall."

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

Re: PBP stadium update

$%*(*%(#$*%:$(%*@($*%@$%$%^^**(^%^%$@%% !!!!  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(
Back to the top

PBP stadium update

FAU's stadium strategy:

Spend years talking about the Dome, justifying waiting because the Dome will be special
Wait a few years
Downsize plans
Wait a few years
Propose a temp stadium
Wait…
Miss building the temp stadium because of the waiting
Let another year go by
Authorize the investigation of an open-air stadium that can be expanded into a dome
Wait another year
Authorize the administration to start to seek funding for an open-air stadium (no dome)
Wait, of course
Issue no official updates, leaving everyone in the dark and killing any enthusiasm (well, we did have SmileXpress – thanks for the support!)

So, what's the current status of the stadium, a decade after we should have had one? Well, if the past is any indication, we will be waiting. Also, plans will definitely be downsized. Then, we'll wait some more and hear every excuse, ranging from the economy to conflicts with the city of Boca Raton, to endangered owls, etc.

FAU is building this stadium BACKWARDS. You're supposed to start with a small stadium on day 1 and grow from there. Instead, we started with big, unrealistic expectation (ENTIRELY the fault of the administration and FAU's PR for years) and keep delaying and downsizing them.

I think there was a Star Trek episode about this, where a planet's inhabitants age backwards – they are born mature and revert into infants. It definitely feels like we're in the twilight zone.

I expect the following: a 15000-seat steel stadium (or whatever the NCAA's minimum requirement is, just like a temp stadium, but permanent) for the season after Lockhart is no longer an option and not a day sooner.

How can an administration possibly delude itself for YEARS that we can build something like the Carrier Dome when we can't even get our act together to build an absolutely minimal facility?

FACT: Our stadium will be built years after it should have been.
FACT: Our stadium will not live up to any expectations that have been set.
FACT: We will not see our #1 rival, FIU, play in our stadium for years after its built due to the surreal expectation that a I-AA team (at sleepy FAU) could even come close to sustaining itself at faraway Dolphin Stadium.
Back to the top

Lm77 said

FAU's stadium strategy:

Spend years talking about the Dome, justifying waiting because the Dome will be special
Wait a few years
Downsize plans
Wait a few years
Propose a temp stadium
Wait…
Miss building the temp stadium because of the waiting
Let another year go by
Authorize the investigation of an open-air stadium that can be expanded into a dome
Wait another year
Authorize the administration to start to seek funding for an open-air stadium (no dome)
Wait, of course
Issue no official updates, leaving everyone in the dark and killing any enthusiasm (well, we did have SmileXpress – thanks for the support!)

So, what's the current status of the stadium, a decade after we should have had one? Well, if the past is any indication, we will be waiting. Also, plans will definitely be downsized. Then, we'll wait some more and hear every excuse, ranging from the economy to conflicts with the city of Boca Raton, to endangered owls, etc.

FAU is building this stadium BACKWARDS. You're supposed to start with a small stadium on day 1 and grow from there. Instead, we started with big, unrealistic expectation (ENTIRELY the fault of the administration and FAU's PR for years) and keep delaying and downsizing them.

I think there was a Star Trek episode about this, where a planet's inhabitants age backwards – they are born mature and revert into infants. It definitely feels like we're in the twilight zone.

I expect the following: a 15000-seat steel stadium (or whatever the NCAA's minimum requirement is, just like a temp stadium, but permanent) for the season after Lockhart is no longer an option and not a day sooner.

How can an administration possibly delude itself for YEARS that we can build something like the Carrier Dome when we can't even get our act together to build an absolutely minimal facility?

FACT: Our stadium will be built years after it should have been.
FACT: Our stadium will not live up to any expectations that have been set.
FACT: We will not see our #1 rival, FIU, play in our stadium for years after its built due to the surreal expectation that a I-AA team (at sleepy FAU) could even come close to sustaining itself at faraway Dolphin Stadium.

Well said. This whole thing has been one big cluster f_ck since day one. Unfortunately too many people bought into the dome idea at the onset and hung onto that dream for far too long. 2011 is now looking like wishful thinking for any kind of stadium with 2015 being far more realistic. I am pissed as a fan, but I really feel for all of the players who signed with FAU after being sold on the idea of an on-campus stadium and who most likely will never see it come to fruition. Moreover, this is going to hurt recruiting in the future as players will not believe the promises of a stadium that are fed to them by the coaching staff and administration.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

What a joke… I knew this was coming, but I wanted to believe I was wrong.

This university's "strategy" to build a stadium is an embarassment.

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

Fledgling said

What a joke… I knew this was coming, but I wanted to believe I was wrong.

This university's "strategy" to build a stadium is an embarassment.

I completely understand the difficulty of pitching this deal, with or without the economy's situation.

But I was under the impression that we would have a development rights contract (albeit with an "out" if we got naming rights) drawn up to be inked on September 2nd if we didn't have the formal naming rights by then.

So they better announce something soon, not just to appease us and make good on the promise to players but also because we need shovels in the ground yesterday to build at least one more dorm for next year! The waiting list this semester was long enough to fill another GPT…
Back to the top

I can't imagine that they don't know how frustrating this is to our fans but we keep sitting here, taking our beatings as they push back deadline after deadline. When do we break? I'm sure if enough people threatened to pull their donations and owl club memberships at the end of this season if there isn't a build plan in place they may hop-to. I know it's not logical but it's so damn frustrating.
Back to the top

This talk herein, pardon my blountness, is absurd…so for the sake of morale and a rumor mill of negativity festering furhter, will say a couple of things that by now ought to be appearant by now, and then retreat, as i did last time:

What is the goal at this point in time regarding the project as a WHOLE?

Answer: Development rights to remain in house in entirety.

When does that "have" to happen by?

Answer: First week of October to remain within a window that would allow 2010 completion.

What is FAU doing right now, considering that developers have come out of the woodwork, and already met with University officials to present thier plans; to accept a proposal that would allow them to underwrite the first phase of construction - cash in hand for FAU basically just having to chose one if needed?

Answer:  Paying architects to render drawings (one of the first things you do) and WAITING until the deadline, Hoping for a last minute party of interest to emerge, that will allow them to retain the development rights.

Would have been alot easier should we have won at Texas, but could still happen if we somehow go 3-0 with remaining September games.  That is the Hope here.

Ok, im done…if you want to argue do it with the wall. ;)

Back to the top

At this point, enough with words.....we need actions! When I arrived at the school in 2001, there were rumblings of a stadium plan. Well almost 8 yrs later....still the same but with some "planning". We wont compete with UCF or many other schools for that matter when it comes to being able to "take us seriously" untill the hole is in the ground, and we have a name for the stadium. I am starting to get impatient, and I can tell everyone else is as well. Just build something at this point that we can all call HOME...thanks..
Back to the top

It has been my experience that the more a deadline slides, the less likely that success will follow. Of course, I have utterly no inside information. Has anyone resurrected the questions about some kind of temporary stadium (no matter how less satisfactory this would be to a permanent structure)? What's the status of Lockhart? Will it be available in 2009, 2010, etc.?
Back to the top
Control functions: