Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Possible* MRSA outbreak on campus

Add topic

I only know about this because someone in the band got it. But apparently a hospital in Boca has had 3 or 4 cases a day for the past few days and they linked it back to FAU, I suppose everyone that has it was an FAU student. The school hasn't said anything about it, maybe they don't even know about it.

MRSA- infection is caused by Staphylococcus aureus bacteria — often called "staph." MRSA stands for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. It's a strain of staph that's resistant to the broad-spectrum antibiotics commonly used to treat it. MRSA can be fatal.

Most MRSA infections occur in hospitals or other health care settings, such as nursing homes and dialysis centers. It's known as health care-associated MRSA, or HA-MRSA. Older adults and people with weakened immune systems are at most risk of HA-MRSA. More recently, another type of MRSA has occurred among otherwise healthy people in the wider community. This form, community-associated MRSA, or CA-MRSA, is responsible for serious skin and soft tissue infections and for a serious form of pneumonia.

Back to the top

Re: MRSA outbreak on campus

This sounds like a rumor. How sure about this are you? Is this I heard from my friend's brother's sister's husband who heard it from his aunt who works for Fedex and delivers to the hospital?
Back to the top

Re: MRSA outbreak on campus

Possible* MRSA outbreak on campus

Well there is a person in the band who has it and is in the hospital and someone who went to visit him heard it from the hospital. I hope it is only a rumor, and no, I haven't talked directly to a physican or anything like that, so I won't say its for sure.
Back to the top

Re: Possible* MRSA outbreak on campus

My brother got MRSA at a gym.  It was ugly and he nearly died and deals with it "flaming" up from time to time.

Once you get MRSA, you never lose it.

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

They just had an outbreak ofsome type of this like a year or so ago didnt they?? Geesh.......
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

They just had an outbreak ofsome type of this like a year or so ago didnt they?? Geesh…….

That was a food borne thing from the lack of proper cleaning IIRC. At this point, I think this is just a rumor.
Back to the top

Well I talked to the girl who talked to the doctors, and they said its been 4-5 cases everyday, all from FAU.
Back to the top

Wonderful....I would hope the school gets the word out and cleans any potential problem areas.
Back to the top

The said

Wonderful….I would hope the school gets the word out and cleans any potential problem areas.

Getting the word out without confirming anything would cause mass hysteria. FAU students have a tendency to overreact to some things and blow things out of proportion.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

The said

Wonderful….I would hope the school gets the word out and cleans any potential problem areas.

Getting the word out without confirming anything would cause mass hysteria. FAU students have a tendency to overreact to some things and blow things out of proportion.

yea, which is why I put "Possible outbreak…" I'd hate for this to get blown all out of proportion over nothing. And I'm sure the hospital would contact FAU and tell them they've had a lot of cases come in and everyone is an FAU student. But even if its not related to FAU, its still kind of scary, being that they are still getting cases everyday from somewhere.
Back to the top
Control functions: