Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU @ MICHIGAN STATE POST GAME THOUGHTS

This was a tough one. Weather was simply too big of a factor.

More punts than 1st down for FAU. 10/9

Too many dropped balls and poor passes. Gent was thrown to 11 times with 0 catches.

As expected MSU ran all over FAU.

BOTTOM LINE: When weather is a factor a team that has a one-dimensional offense that runs the ball will beat a team that has a one-dimensional offense that throws the ball.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Re: FAU @ MICHIGAN STATE POST GAME THOUGHTS

Maybe we should hold out for the domed stadium after all.  Looked like a high school offense out there.  We're the receivers even running the correct routes?  We were having some early success running the ball – I don't know why they insisted on putting it in the air, except it's just what we do.  Horrible game plan.

On the other side, if football was a class, I'm pretty sure the defense would have been dropped by now for excessive absenses.  They haven't shown up yet.  Didn't help that they were on the field for most of the game, but they were just plain owned by that running back.  Still missing a lot of tackles.
Back to the top

My thoughts:

Too much rain.  It just took away too much of the Owls offensive identity.  This is a down field, quick pass offense.  Take that away and you will have a tough day.  Rusty had trouble throwing the ball and then got zero help from his receivers.  Should have had at least 10 points early on.  The holding call on the long Pierre run was pretty ticky-tack and that FG was a disaster waiting to happen.

At least now we get Minnesota in perfect conditions…I expect a BIG day from the offense next Saturday.

I thought, despite the huge day from MSU's RB(a very good player, but then if you give any decent back 45 carries, he's probably going to have huge numbers), the defense showed a ton of improvement this week.  They swarmed the ball, they forced some turnovers.  I saw a much more agressive unit that played together.  There was no confusion like last week.  But this was MSU's type of game and they did enough to win.

Overall, we played a road BCS game close well into the 2nd half and that was a good step forward for the Owls.  If the weather is better, the reult may have been a bit different.  Let's go dry out and get a win next week before we head into SBC play.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

The said

Maybe we should hold out for the domed stadium after all.  Looked like a high school offense out there.  We're the receivers even running the correct routes?  We were having some early success running the ball – I don't know why they insisted on putting it in the air, except it's just what we do.  Horrible game plan.

On the other side, if football was a class, I'm pretty sure the defense would have been dropped by now for excessive absenses.  They haven't shown up yet.  Didn't help that they were on the field for most of the game, but they were just plain owned by that running back.  Still missing a lot of tackles.

I don't know Big Dog.  I thought the D did a decent job of keeping us in the game.  Obviously it wasn't perfect, but this is what MSU excels at…pounding the ball.  You can't fault the D for this one.  The defense played well enough to win this game. 
Back to the top

I thought the "D" played better. Gent and Rusty were awful.  We should have ran the ball more.  The draw play was working.  We missed Harmon.
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

The said

I don't know Big Dog.  I thought the D did a decent job of keeping us in the game.  Obviously it wasn't perfect, but this is what MSU excels at…pounding the ball.  You can't fault the D for this one.  The defense played well enough to win this game.

I definitely pin it more on the offense – if they would have been able to execute, the D wouldn't have been on the field so much.  You're right, I'm probably being too hard on them, but they just had no answer for Ringer.  43 for 276?  I'm afraid there are still a lot of holes, and we are now showing teams how to beat us.
Back to the top

I think conditions had a lot to do with it, well, obviously conditions had a lot to do with. Our receivers just couldn't hold onto anything. What costs us the game were mistakes and penalties. Dumb penalties gave them second chances when they didn't need them and mistakes cost us 17 points. I D stepped up though. It was great to see so many tackles in the backfield on 3rd and short for MSU. Anyone else think that our D might have been better because we didn't play a spread O? I mean, we are a pro-style offense, so thats what our D see's everyday. We finally played a team with a pro-style O and we were decent, we did enough to win the game. For the first time in awhile, it was our O that let us down.
Back to the top

FAU @ MICHIGAN STATE POST GAME THOUGHTS

Our D did well, but yeh they were out there ALL game.

Their entire offense was Ringer, so of course hes going to get alot of yards, plus the fact that he is simply a great back and we suck at the run defense.

The first half was when we had to make something happen, MSU looked wretched with fumble after fumble and our offense couldnt get it going.

Next week, Minny, I think we can win as long as theres no hole in the roof :)

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

I dont think it looked like an advanced training game at all, I thought we were relatively competitive…our advanced training games look more like 45-3, 52-7, etc.

17-0 against a well established team in horrible weather is ok.

Now how about ULL scaring Illinois, makes me scared of ULL…Desormeaux was looking good in the clutch

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

To start off this was a game we should of won..and the fact it was winnable was shown quickly on our 1st drive.  The weather was a factor, but from what I remembeer from Teds blog FAU did practice in rain and we shouldve been more prepared.   This is a step forward because we only allwoed 17 points against a BCS opponent on the road.   The defense did smother the opponents and Frantz Joseph showed the perfect way to stop Javon Ringer….lay low in the middle and knock him hard.  RInger wo'nt get much consideration for a Heisman…anyways…….. Fau claims it can move the ball on anyone , but shows that it can't score.  I believe Gary Nord is the person to blame.  That 3rd and 1 and Rusty stepping back and throwing a bad throw was a bad play call. The bad play calling and the non exection by players combined for us to lose our chance at winning this game.  If arkansas state can beat a texas a&m team on he road why couldn't we beat this team……..We will be known as a really good team but sun belt wise…not nationally..because of poor performances when we need it the most. This was great coverage…for us this game was  a somewhat moral victory on the road compared to the other body bag games we are accustomed to, but to others around the nation…a poorly played game that was a shutout……Execution is everythin and thats what we need!

go Owls!!!
Back to the top
Control functions: