Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Not enough footballs? No excuse for this

Not enough footballs? No excuse for this

This is really bush league level.  We didn't bring enough footballs?

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2008/09/13/0913faunotes.html

Schnellenberger said he could tell Smith was struggling with the wet, heavy footballs. Because each offense provides its own footballs, Schnellenberger said FAU will bring more footballs to games played in the rain.

"We brought 12 balls and we needed about 50 if we going to keep them all dry," Schnellenberger said. "This gives us a reason for us to bring 50 to 100 balls to games like this."

"Gives us a reason"??  You mean it's that much of a hardship to bring extra footballs?  Sounds like it either was never seriously considered or nobody bothered to check the weather report.  Hey, maybe both.  It's like they're just figuring this stuff out.  There is no excuse for being so unprepared with such a basic item as, you know, packing for the trip.  I'd hate to think that it had a significant effect on the outcome, but the way Rusty was throwing the ball, I believe it.  I hope somebody is getting a reaming over this.  >:(
Back to the top

Re: Not enough footballs? No excuse for this

The silver lining to this hard lesson learned, it wasn't a conference game.
Back to the top

The said

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2008/09/13/0913faunotes.html

Schnellenberger said he could tell Smith was struggling with the wet, heavy footballs. Because each offense provides its own footballs, Schnellenberger said FAU will bring more footballs to games played in the rain.

"We brought 12 balls and we needed about 50 if we going to keep them all dry," Schnellenberger said. "This gives us a reason for us to bring 50 to 100 balls to games like this."

"Gives us a reason"??  You mean it's that much of a hardship to bring extra footballs?  Sounds like it either was never seriously considered or nobody bothered to check the weather report.  Hey, maybe both.  It's like they're just figuring this stuff out.  There is no excuse for being so unprepared with such a basic item as, you know, packing for the trip.  I'd hate to think that it had a significant effect on the outcome, but the way Rusty was throwing the ball, I believe it.  I hope somebody is getting a reaming over this.  >:(

They played at Bethune-Cookman in monsoon type conditions the second game in the history of the program. They should have learned from that experience to bring plenty of footballs.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

I kept askign myself why it looked like MSU had fresh balls, and we did not…

That explains it…

What a joke!??!
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

I kept askign myself why it looked like MSU had fresh balls, and we did not…

That explains it…

What a joke!??!

The MSU QB had a day as bad as Rusty, maybe worse. Neither could connect. Although since our offense depends on the pass, some dry footballs may have helped.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

I don't think it was such a big deal. Rusty didn't throw bad on the 8-9 drops we had. They had dry footballs (well, until you took them out of the bag) and Hoyer didn't fare much better. Difference was they had a running game to fall back on.

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

Lets assume that we had 12 balls and MSU had infinity…..by your logic they should have had a much more potent passing game than ours right? Well they didnt, so maybe it wasn't ONLY the balls.  Frustration, wet hands, etc etc.

We are at par everyone, now lets beat some gophers!

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

Hoyer was throwing tighter passes than Rusty. They weren't caught, but they didn't look like wounded ducks.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

and once a football gets saturated it's never the same.

who knows more than the head coach?
Back to the top

The said

I betcha it had something to do with the charter flight and saving money based on weight… FAU sure loves to pull the purse strings… SHUT!!! In there defense, the price of oil and gas is killing us all…
Back to the top
Control functions: