Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Looking Ahead to Minnesota

Minnesota is 3-0. Yes, 3-0. It hasn't been pretty, but they are winning.

Minnesota's #1 running back is out for the seaon with a torn ACL.

Minnesota has also developed a solid passing attack so they are no longer simply a running team.

The Minnesota QB has completed 72% of his passes for 531 yards with 5tds and 0ints.

Minnesota has rushed for 291 yards this year.

Rusty has completed 55% of his passes for 578 yards with 4tds and 1int.

FAU has rushed for 233 yards this year.

This could be a high flying shoot-out if Rusty and the FAU receivers can get back to fundamentals.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Re: Looking Ahead to Minnesota

We'll have dry balls in Minny  ;D
The "D" is MUCH improved, they have their confidence back.

Owls WILL win this game.
Back to the top

Looking forward to the game.

I see FAU has Smith, Gent and the tight end Harmon all back, as well as divory and Pierre. Gophs looked really slow in Miami last year trying to keep up with those guys.

This year, Gophs will feature a secondary with three out of four new starters and have looked better in pass coverage, but still looking susceptible to big, costly mistakes. We've added a little more speed to the linebacker trio to combat bubble screens and quick hitters underneath. This game will really test those pass coverage improvements.

Gophs pass rush showed signs of improvement the last two weeks, but still needs some work. I'm guessing Smith will have time to sit in pocket, but I hope d-line/lb blitz steps up.

I see Michigan State lined up and ran the ball down your throat. Not sure we can do that. Our o-line (young to begin with) could very well be 3 or 4 red shirt freshman as we lost two o-line starters in game 2 and another left the game in a boot in game three. We also lost our best tailback in game two and will probably start a true freshman rb (deleon Eskridge).

Our qb, Adam Weber, who threw four picks against FAU last year has yet to throw a pick through three games. He's looking a lot better, but we have yet to find replacements for our number two and three wide receivers last year. Eric Decker, who had a career game in Miami last year, is looking very good again. Gopher fans were hoping for three true freshman (Green, Smith and Brandon) to possibly fill the void at wr, but nary a reception from any yet.

I wouldn't count on the most hospitable welcome from Coach Brewster. He's still peeved about Schellenberger "not being able to find" the chains and delaying the start of the game last year, making the Gophs bake in the Florida sun a little longer. Also, Brewster was Mack Brown's right hand man at UNC and UT so I'm sure Mack (he of the "soft" Longhorns) will help him with full scouting reports.

Back to the top

swingman said

I see FAU has Smith, Gent and the tight end Harmon all back, as well as divory and Pierre. Gophs looked really slow in Miami last year trying to keep up with those guys.

This year, Gophs will feature a secondary with three out of four new starters and have looked better in pass coverage, but still looking susceptible to big, costly mistakes. We've added a little more speed to the linebacker trio to combat bubble screens and quick hitters underneath. This game will really test those pass coverage improvements.

Gophs pass rush showed signs of improvement the last two weeks, but still needs some work. I'm guessing Smith will have time to sit in pocket, but I hope d-line/lb blitz steps up.

I see Michigan State lined up and ran the ball down your throat. Not sure we can do that. Our o-line (young to begin with) could very well be 3 or 4 red shirt freshman as we lost two o-line starters in game 2 and another left the game in a boot in game three. We also lost our best tailback in game two and will probably start a true freshman rb (deleon Eskridge).

Our qb, Adam Weber, who threw four picks against FAU last year has yet to throw a pick through three games. He's looking a lot better, but we have yet to find replacements for our number two and three wide receivers last year. Eric Decker, who had a career game in Miami last year, is looking very good again. Gopher fans were hoping for three true freshman (Green, Smith and Brandon) to possibly fill the void at wr, but nary a reception from any yet.

I wouldn't count on the most hospitable welcome from Coach Brewster. He's still peeved about Schellenberger "not being able to find" the chains and delaying the start of the game last year, making the Gophs bake in the Florida sun a little longer. Also, Brewster was Mack Brown's right hand man at UNC and UT so I'm sure Mack (he of the "soft" Longhorns) will help him with full scouting reports.

Welcome to the board and thanks for the insight.

Is the freshman RB that you are referring to the guy that was a top-tier RB recruit last year??

Michigan State did what they do best, much like when Minnesota had Maroney. They lined up and ran the ball.

Our offense should come to play and we should be able to use our speed on the fast track at the MetroDome. That will hopefully give us an advantage.

I actually feel pretty confident about this game knowing that Minnesota has shifted a bit from being run oriented to being more of a passing team. Our defense will give up yards and our offense has the capability to move the ball and put up some serious points. I think this will be a high scoring affair and a great game to watch. Last year it was a bit of a surprise when FAU beat Minnesota. I don't think it will be a surprise if FAU repeats this year. This win will actually mean much more to FAU because Minnesota is a much better team than they were last year.

GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

From what I read, Eskridge was not offered by PAC 10 schools. San Jose and San Diego were in the mix. Nebraska took a late run at him, but I'm not sure they were willing to offer playing time at rb; they may have been looking at him more as a d-back. A two star on Scout, a three star on Rivals.

The metrodome track, while guaranteed dry and not windy (unless Brewster decides for payback on missing chains by using the Twins old "turn on the big blowers" trick when Smith trys to pass) is just the same field turf that many (most?) schools play on. The dome used to have that carpet on concrete.

The dome can be loud and intimidating, making audibles tough, but an 11 am start for a team coming off a 1-11 season won't have a very loud crowd in action.
Back to the top

swingman said

Not Harmon, who is out for the season due to a Spring Game injury. However, we have a talented TE named Jamari Grant who has been doing his best Harmon impersonation and has netted us huge yards at Texas and at MSU. I expect good things from him.

swingman said

Well, Texas put a scare into Rusty most of the time but didn't sack him. In fact, I don't think anybody has been able to sack him this season so don't be too disappointed if they can't get at him.

swingman said

The dome can be loud and intimidating, making audibles tough, but an 11 am start for a team coming off a 1-11 season won't have a very loud crowd in action.

I want to ask – and please don't take this the wrong way – is it true that you guys were averaging 10k or less per game in attendance last year and how has it been thus far this year?
Back to the top

I don't think there was a game with under 40,000 last year.

Crowds have been announced over 40,000 for first two games this year, but butts in seats probably was probably 35,000 for morning game versus Montana State.

I would think FAU will draw a little better than Montana State.

Where is FAU in new stadium planning? Size, timeframe, cost? People who went to Miami for last year's game say crowd was less than a big high school contest.
Back to the top

Looking Ahead to Minnesota

Back again for another year…

Our attendance at the Metrodome for 2007 was just a bit better than 10K – the average for the seven games was 51,791 with a high of 63k+ and a low of 45k+. This is our last year in the Dome.

The opening capacity of our new on-campus stadium opening next year is slightly over 50,000 – as of last Saturday the ticket office estimated that there were 4-5000 seats remaining & a sell out is expected sooner rather than later. The stadium is being built to be easily expandable up to 80,000++ seats.
Back to the top

If we can get Charles and Edge going, we could hang with Minn. My concern is, can we stop them.....

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

swingman said

Where is FAU in new stadium planning? Size, timeframe, cost? People who went to Miami for last year's game say crowd was less than a big high school contest.

Still all talk and no action. The university doesn't do a very good job of keeping fans informed. Supposedly they are looking for donors and the tentative date for the stadium opening is 2010. Thus far not even a spoonful of dirt has been moved. Draw your own conclusions.

The stadium is projected at 30,000 with a cost of about $60million.

It is always hard to draw fans playing all the way down in Miami. Plus, that stadium seat 70,000 so it is always going to look empty when FAU plays there.

GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top
Control functions: