Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU board gives Brogan 10 percent raise, extends contract to 2015

Add topic

Back to the top

Re: FAU board gives Brogan 10 percent raise, extends contract to 2015

He deserves it!

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

Just my opinion, so no one go overboard.

I hope Brogan considers the raise a symbolic vote of confidence and turns the raise down. There are dozens of university employees that haven't gotten a raise in a while.  This would look good for him to do that. Some of the windfall from the broadband lease will be used to give only a 1% raise accross the board. The university's employees salaries aren't keeping up with inflation.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

Just my opinion, so no one go overboard.

The university's employees salaries aren't keeping up with inflation.

Completely agree with your position Illinios, and…

And i hope the same from everyone when offering this:

Neither is thier job performance, in most cases.

I never fully understood Performance Management until becoming a Manager for a Fortune 150 Company - Office Depot.

(No, im not a Store Manager)

The MOST you can receive there is 5.5%.  And to do that you need to be doing this:

A job at least one position than you are currently graded at with ZERO observable deficiency in the position.

In other words, not doing your job, but your job, and then someone elses.

How many University empoyees are banging it ouf of the park??

Give them, and only them, an increase.  There is too much waste and top heavy state contracted A&P salary being sucked up by chair warmers.

Brogan:

They guy is doing a bang up job - seriously.  But 10%?

I understand that President of a University is a high calling, but i have VP's who make more and they didn't get but 1.25% due to current economic conditions.  And this is in a "for profit" environment, that posted notable profit.

10% is too much, IMO.

And, given the climate of his "company", i think he should do just what you said to those deserving of it.

For now, 3.5% should suffice just fine; were he to choose to accept an increase.

Unless he signs a stadium deal by himself, then we'll see about the 10% ;)

Back to the top

I guess I should also have included with all the budget slashing and jobs eliminated, another reason to forgo the raise.

As far as corporations and raises. The typical corporate raise right now is 3-4%. Salaries have gone out of sight. In the 80s when a very good salary was $20,000, you could expect 8-10% raises. Corporations can't give 10% raises on $70,000 salaries. Executives used to make that kind of a salary. Now middle managers can make that.

I am glad the Board has thought well enough of Frank Brogan to extend his contract and reward him financially. I just think in light of all the cutbacks, budget crunches, layoffs and forgone faculty raises, it would be a smart move to avoid the bad publicity for the reasons I mentioned. Kimberly Miller probably already has a nice story written waiting to publish.

If he wants a something of a raise, then accept 1% like the rest of the university will get with the broadband lease revenue and I think that would look very good and avoid the bad publicity.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Agree but also disagree.

Brogan has turned down raises in the past.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

Kimberly Miller probably already has a nice story written waiting to publish.

;D :D
Back to the top

FAU board gives Brogan 10 percent raise, extends contract to 2015

Its a good thing the Republican name brand is weak right now, if it was 1999 he would have left to run for senate or governor.  We have a catch and I think the good things he has brought this University (construction, research, connections, agreements with world renowned institutes) is probably worth 10%.

That being said, in hard times, its good for the leader to make sacrifices first.  Maybe he takes the raise and donates it to the Stadium??

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

$37,500 is the amount of the increase…

On the radio this morning.
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

Its a good thing the Republican name brand is weak right now, if it was 1999 he would have left to run for senate or governor.  We have a catch and I think the good things he has brought this University (construction, research, connections, agreements with world renowned institutes) is probably worth 10%.

That being said, in hard times, its good for the leader to make sacrifices first.  Maybe he takes the raise and donates it to the Stadium??

Why should he? He is being paid to work a job. I am sure he has bills, retirement, future college expenses, etc. to pay for. After six years of doing a good job he is getting a raise. He deserves it. He has already sacrificed by not taking past raises/bonuses offered to him. The reality is that you get what you pay for. We are paying him more so we can keep him here. The article mentioned that he had already received offers from other schools and it wasn't even near contract renewal time yet. I think this is well deserved and have no problem with it.   
Back to the top
Control functions: