Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Brewster's Hype and FIU

Brewster's hyperbole is probably directly related to the first quarter and a half against Montana State. The Gophers sleepwalked their way through that part of the game and Brewster probably wanted to make sure they never do that again. As you noted they are improved over last year's team but not enough to take any team lightly; particularly a team that beat them last year. We had Lou Holtz up here fro a couple of years and believe me,  Lou's smoke for an opposing team makes Brewster hype seem almost dismissive!

My question is how long can FIU stay a "Bowl Division" school? Florida, FSU, USF, UCF, Miami, FAU and FIU are all there now and the last three are fighting for the same market. None of the three are drawing big crowds, including Miami. I realize there is a lot of talent in Florida but I can't help seeing FIU and FAU and thinking CART/IRL in that if one of them doesn't go down they both might suffer. It looks like FAU has a much stronger program and may or may not have a stadium on the way so they look like the favorite to make it. Unless there is some strong alumni money backing it, how long can FIU hang onto their program? 
Back to the top

Re: Brewster's Hype and FIU

In a short nutshell.  Don't worry.  The money, the administration, and plans are in place for the long haul…The NCAA rules have not been needed to applied yet to programs with far less support, both financially and by fans, than that of FIU and FAU. 
Back to the top

Thanks for the information.
Back to the top

All programs will be fine. FIU has the stadium in place. They seem to have talent. They just need to start winning. Once that happens they will start to build a stronger fan base.

As an FAU fan I think the biggest concern has to be FAU getting a stadium on campus by no later than 2011. Still, it is important to make it very clear that both FAU and FIU are in this for the long haul and I don't envision either team moving down. There are plenty of other teams across the country that have had football for 50 or more years and are really no better off in terms of attendance than FAU or FIU. I really see FAU and FIU following in the footsteps of USF and UCF over the next decade.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

I think everyone is committed, and no one is leaving at this point.  It's been said, but lots of schools have had teams for a century, and everyone hits their rough patches.  Miami had a long couple of years a while back, but they've begun to turn it around.  FSU is on the downslope (hopefully not for long), and UF is on top right now, but sooner or later they will fall, like everyone else.  You can't win all the time.  There is more than enough talent in half of the state, to fill all these programs, so I'm not worried.  You have to keep in mind that FAU, FIU, and even USF are still "young" programs in the grand scheme of things.

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

Brewster's Hype and FIU

There has been enough hype that occurred prior to the Texas game - I think the players will be ready to play come Saturday.

I think they understand, they can't take any game for granted.

Back to the top
Control functions: