Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

UNC-Charlotte

Add topic

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

Re: UNC-Charlotte

I think someone mentioned it before. The SBC needs to grow beyond being THE entry level conference.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

I don't know if I said posted something about UNC-C before but I'v read the stories over the past year and they sound alot like us: Small school, no stadium, and nobody wants to pay for it.  I could see them in the belt but they wont start football for another 5 years and I cant see them joining before 2025.

AEA
Go play Intramural Sports! www.fau.edu/campusrec/imsports/
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

I think someone mentioned it before. The SBC needs to grow beyond being THE entry level conference.

The issue is, if we are not the entry level conference, who is?  You can't start up a team and go "Pac 10 please"

2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

UNC-Charlotte

Frankly, I'm starting to not care what the SBC does.  We need to focus on getting better so we can get out of the SBC.  Basically, we should treat the SBC the way we treated I-AA – as a stepping stone and nothing more.
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

illinoisowl said

The issue is, if we are not the entry level conference, who is?  You can't start up a team and go "Pac 10 please"

I don't know who should be the "entry level" conference. I just think that the SBC would want to move up in strength and reputation and not have teams automatically assigned to it when they become 1A that aren't already in the SBC in other sports. If the SBC can accomplish that, then another conference would fall in place or a team may have to compete as an independent until they are given an invitation to join a conference. The SBC really doesn't have to accept a new team. A few universities left the SBC at the time Troy, FAU and FIU joined. FIU was in the SBC in other sports. FAU had just finished 4th in 1AA. Troy joined after moving up to 1A. They've had a football team for 100 years and were very successful as NAIA, Div II and 1AA.

WKU just moved up. They were in the SBC in all other sports. South Alabama will be joining SBC football several years from now. They are in all other SBC sports also.

Unless there are some departures, the SBC doesn't need to or have to accept other universities with new football programs.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

I still pine for the days when it was ok to be independent…that should be the land of the newcomers and the old hats, teams that can play anyone anytime…I mean why would the Big East want to expand? Its teams have the ability to play 5 OOC games which gives them alot of flexibility.

Know what I like? The way ECU thinks.  They are willing to sell their souls to get into the Big East, but also talk about expanding CUSA to 16 teams and only playing the teams in your division, and split the bowl winnings among your division only.  That way you get the flexibility of an 8 team conference, but have a championship game for legitimacy.  It makes sense, the Athletic Director talked about how its silly to try and develop rivalries with UTEP when you only see them every 3 years.

We talked about this (BCS stuff) on another thread but what if BCS gave autobids to 16 team non-BCS confs and also to 12 team BCS confs..not entirely fair but alot better.

PS we are ranked in the 80's…so its not all bad news

Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

PS we are ranked in the 80's…so its not all bad news

Check it tommorow…my guess is that we will not be.
Back to the top
Control functions: