Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Georgia State Starting Football

Add topic

Georgia State Starting Football

There was a great article about Georgia State starting a program in a recent issue of ESPN The Magazine. It reminded me so much of FAU. Starting with absolutely nothing. It is a big school, mostly commuter, and they brought in Bill Curry as their head coach. They will sign their first class in February and start playing in 2010 at 1-AA.

In another thread there is talk of UNC-Charlotte and the SBC. I think GSU would be a more likely fit for the SBC before 2015. I can see them spending 2-3 years at 1-AA and then moving up.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Re: Georgia State Starting Football

Sure, what the hell, let them in.  Let everybody in.  The SBC wants you.
Back to the top

The said

Sure, what the hell, let them in.  Let everybody in.  The SBC wants you.

I am not saying sure let them in, but based on the last three programs to move from 1-AA to 1-A (FAU, FIU, and WKU) it seems that the SBC is the place. Also I think Georgia State makes geographic sense. If the new team were in California for example I wouldn't suggest it. However I do think the SBC will try to move to 10 or more teams and it would make sense to add a team like Georgia State if they can be competetive.

Also, lets not forget that people are talking about getting out of the SBC so there will be open slots if teams such as Troy or FAU for example move out of the conference.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

And we need to be one of those teams trying to get out of the conference.  As I said in the other thread, we should treat the SBC as a stepping stone.  You're right, GSU might get an invitation, and given the current climate, they certainly would fit.  It is the entry-level conference, after all.

As far as geography, I think the Sun Belt pretty much will take any team with a pulse.  Yeah, it would make sense to actually have teams from the "Sun Belt", but given that FAU and FIU replaced Idaho and New Mexico State, I don't think it's a big priority.  It only looks like a fit because the recent new D1A teams have been from the south.  But if a new D1A team popped up out west, do you think the Sun Belt wouldn't roll out the red carpet?  They would.
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

There was a great article about Georgia State starting a program in a recent issue of ESPN The Magazine. It reminded me so much of FAU. Starting with absolutely nothing. It is a big school, mostly commuter, and they brought in Bill Curry as their head coach. They will sign their first class in February and start playing in 2010 at 1-AA.

In another thread there is talk of UNC-Charlotte and the SBC. I think GSU would be a more likely fit for the SBC before 2015. I can see them spending 2-3 years at 1-AA and then moving up.

GO OWLS!!!

Coach Curry came to FAU and talked to Schnelly a few months back. Ted Hutton reported that on his blog. It's exciting that other schools think that FAU "did it right" and want to model after our program.

UT-San Antonio, when and if they get football, also is looking at FAU as a model. When they announced football their AD for marketing was an FAU MBA graduate from 2002. It was funny when I went in there to meet with him for a part-time marketing position and we had that in common.

Anyway, Georgia State should be allowed in the Sun Belt. By the time they are ready to make the jump (2012ish) there will be openings in other conferences for some shifting. Yes, some of us may not want to see the Sun Belt as the "hey! you just started football so you should join our conference" conference, but by the time GA State is ready, we'll be heading into another conference anyway. At least I hope we will be heading into another conference.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

It seems any and everybody can start a team these days…

pretty soon we will have 500 teams…lol
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

owlfan1 said

GO OWLS!!!

Put FAU in the SEC! It will appeal to recruits hehe.  ;)

Coach Curry came to FAU and talked to Schnelly a few months back. Ted Hutton reported that on his blog. It's exciting that other schools think that FAU "did it right" and want to model after our program.

UT-San Antonio, when and if they get football, also is looking at FAU as a model. When they announced football their AD for marketing was an FAU MBA graduate from 2002. It was funny when I went in there to meet with him for a part-time marketing position and we had that in common.

Anyway, Georgia State should be allowed in the Sun Belt. By the time they are ready to make the jump (2012ish) there will be openings in other conferences for some shifting. Yes, some of us may not want to see the Sun Belt as the "hey! you just started football so you should join our conference" conference, but by the time GA State is ready, we'll be heading into another conference anyway. At least I hope we will be heading into another conference.

FLORIDAATLANTIC[br]U N I V E R S I T Y
Back to the top

I could see georgia southern or even app st moving up but for some reason they seem content remaining 1AA.  Georgia State is going to put a real hamper on recruiting for the other 1AA schools in that region.  Theres a ton of talent that comes out of that area of GA thats just not quite Div 1A level.  UNCC fans want football but they had a group come in and do a feasability study of starting a program there and it doesnt look like they will be getting football anywhere in the near future. 
Back to the top

We aren't leaving the Sun Belt for a while guys… lets try and enjoy it.

There is no reason for the BCS conferences to let anyone in, even BYU or Utah…its a jacked up system that holds down half of FBS.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top
Control functions: