Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Game Week: FAU vs MTSU

Might as well get started with some talk about our next game.

Our first conference game against the Blue Raiders who sit at 0-2 in conference play after beating Maryland and playing Kentucky close (one play from upsetting the cats) - go figure.

Tough team to figure out.

What can the Owls expect from this team?

Heck, what can we expect from our own Owls, who have struggled?

Still, this is a very important game for both teams.  The Blue Raiders will be desperate to right the ship in conference play and would love nothing more then to knock the Owl for a lost.

The Owls on the other hand to find themselves.

Back to the top

Re: Game Week: FAU vs MTSU

We have this one… I believe the level of play for MTSU will be so below the caliber of teams we have played so far that our defense will crush'em and our offense will score well if they can start on the right foot and build confidence into the game…
Back to the top

Boone02 said

We have this one… I believe the level of play for MTSU will be so below the caliber of teams we have played so far that our defense will crush'em and our offense will score well if they can start on the right foot and build confidence into the game…

Im not so sure, they are smarting form the 2 Conf losses, so that works in our favor. Thye played Troy pretty well just couldnt get into the endzone (Sound Familiar?)

I'm worried about EVERY game this year from here on out.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

owlfamily said

Boone02 said

Im not so sure, they are smarting form the 2 Conf losses, so that works in our favor. Thye played Troy pretty well just couldnt get into the endzone (Sound Familiar?)

I'm worried about EVERY game this year from here on out.

As we should always have been.  Not so sure when we started to have guaranteed wins? 

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Game Week: FAU vs MTSU

We desperately need to win in front of the home fans, or our numbers will drop bigtime the rest of the year.

One good thing for us, is that the Vawls are struggling– much of our city bleeds orange, unfortunately.

If we play pass defense like we did at stAte, Rusty Smith will torch us.

How good is Smith at running the ball?

Another note: there will be a pregame TV Show on CSS leading up to the ESPN telecast, for those that get Comcast Sports Southeast. Here is the article on the "gameday" broadcast:

Gameday coming to Murfreesboro
CSS will pattern pregame show after ESPN Gameday

Athletic Communications
The "Blue Raider Gameday" television pregame show will broadcast live from Walnut Grove on Sept. 30. ()

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - Gameday is coming to Murfreesboro … Blue Raider style.

The ESPN Gameday crew of Chris Fowler, Lee Corso, and Kirk Herbsreit will not be on campus for the September 30 Blackout game against Florida Atlantic but CSS and Middle Tennessee have teamed to provide a similar experience for Blue Raider fans.

"Blue Raider Gameday" will include a pregame television show patterned after ESPN Gameday that will be broadcast live locally on CSS from 5:00 to 6:00 PM with hosts Thom Abraham, Kelly Holcomb, and Kevin Dyson. Beaman Automotive is the title sponsor and will build a similar set in Walnut Grove on campus and fans are encouraged to attend and display their Blue Raider spirit.

As part of the event, Blue Raider flagship radio station ESPN 106.7 The Fan will broadcast simultaneously from the Grove beginning at 2 PM. Abraham and Jonathan Shaffer will serve as hosts.

Fans are encouraged to arrive early with signs, flags spirit, and decked in Black and White … or even sporting Blackout shirts for the event.

Blue Raider Gameday is a chance to show a CSS audience the tradition and ambience surrounding Middle Tennessee football.

The one-hour segment will include previews of the game, live interviews with Rick Stockstill and Howard Schnellenberger, interviews from the tailgating area, keys to the game, and breakdowns on both the Blue Raiders and Owls. The show will end with one of the hosts providing his game prediction by donning the appropriate mascot head.

"To our knowledge this is a first re-creation of ESPN Gameday and we are very excited about the opportunity," said Chris Massaro, Director of Athletics. "We have an incredible pregame atmosphere and this is a great way to show people around the region what we have to offer and how passionate our fans are about Blue Raider football."

Back to the top

Rusty doesnt run well.

Hes got enough mobility to get out of the pocket on pressure and make the throw, but thats about it.

If our recievers can catch the damn football when he places it right in thier hands FAU should do well.

Probelm is I havent see the recieving corp do that ONCE this year.

Back to the top

owlfamily said

If memory serves me right, there was someone strikingly similiar to you sitting in front of me at the UAB game? ;)

This did happen then on a number of occassions…

Only never to be seen again for the last two games  >:(  :-\  :'(
Back to the top

We usually perform well against pocket passers, but FAU seems to have our number, much like North Texas did for the first 5 years of the SBC.

ESPN is gonna have to get creative to hype our game, methinks.

How many FAU fans making the trip?

Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

owlfamily said

If memory serves me right, there was someone strikingly similiar to you sitting in front of me at the UAB game? ;)

LOL a valid Counter arguement.

Let me rephrase.

OTHER then UAB game, the recieving Corp hasnt caught even a cold this year.  :-[

Back to the top

owlfamily said

Florida_Owl said

owlfamily said

LOL a valid Counter arguement.

Let me rephrase.

OTHER then UAB game, the recieving Corp hasnt caught even a cold this year.  :-[

Texas Game
Receiving            No.  Yds  TD Long

Grant, Jamari    4  93    0  62
Gent, Cortez          3  59    0  33
Housler, Rob          2  53    1  33
Bonner, Chris        2  27    0  15
Rose, Willie            2  24    0  22

Totals                17  255    1  62

UAB Game
RECEIVING      No.  Yds  TD  Lg

Gent, Cortez  8    146    1  39 
Housler, Rob  3    57    0  30
Jean, Lester    3    51    2  30
Grant, Jamari  3    50    0  25
Wilkes, Chad  2    11      0  7

Totals…        22  358  4    39

Michigan State
RECEIVING    No.  Yds  TD  Lg

Grant, Jamari  3    41    0  41 
Jean, Lester    2    15    0    8
Housler, Rob    1    71    0  71
Bonner, Chris  1    18    0  18

Totals…        8    143  0  71

Minnesota
RECEIVING      No.  Yds  TD  Lg

Jean, Lester    6    61    0  12 
Gent, Cortez    4    50    0  17
Rose, Willie      3    19    0  13
Holley, Avery    2    10    0  5
Edgecomb, D.  2      6    0    2
Grant, Jamari    1    11    0  11
Wilkes, Chad    1    11    0  11
Bonner, Chris    1    7    0  7

Totals…        20  175    0  17

The first two games we had some good numbers receiving 255 yards against Texas & 358 against UAB, the Michigan State game was understandable - Minnesota forgettable.

One VERY bad game (not counting the Michigan St. game) -  numbers wise & everyone wants to throw in the towel.

The way I see it, we are still undefeated in conference play, in a much better position then the Blue Raiders are right now.  At least we still control our own destiny for the conference, they need help.

Before the season started we all had great expectations heading into the season, yet have underperformed a bit so far - no need to hit the panic button just yet.

Maybe the Michigan State game hit the players confidence a bit & with the performance against Minnesota showed that, we need to remain positive in the coaches & leaders of the team will get everybody back in sych.

If they are serious about repeating as champions then they will have to stand-up and behave like champions do and continue to fight thru the hard times and bounce back.  Nothing will be handed to them & they will have to work even harder to overcome the hardships they now face.

Rusty is still Rusty & the receivers are still the same group that got it done last year - they now just have to buckle down and focus on the job at hand.  There is no reason why they can't turn it around.  They got it done before and they can do so again.

Beating a Michigan St or a Minnesota would have been great, but it does us no good if we win anyone of those games and lose conference games that keeps us from repeating as conference champions.

Back to the top
Control functions: