Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

In praise of an ordinary university

Add topic

Interesting blog post about FAU and its history.

In praise of an ordinary university « Vincent Safuto’s Weblog
Back to the top

Re: In praise of an ordinary university

It's always interesting to hear other's perceptions.  Sounds like he was there shortly after I graduated, when it was undoubtedly still a commuter school, but I venture to say he'd have a much different experience now, as would I.
Back to the top

After reading that it seems that FAU had not changed much until very recently.  I graduated in 03, and while some improvements were starting to be made, my experience was very similar to the author's, from the 90's.  I always liked the age variation at the school, a lot of times it gave me a new perspective on things.  My group of friends ranged from 18-19 up to around 35.  After being on this board for a while I get the impression that many of us on here have left FAU and Big dog is right, if any of us went back, it would be a very different experience now.

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

duder said

After reading that it seems that FAU had not changed much until very recently.  I graduated in 03, and while some improvements were starting to be made, my experience was very similar to the author's, from the 90's.  I always liked the age variation at the school, a lot of times it gave me a new perspective on things.  My group of friends ranged from 18-19 up to around 35.  After being on this board for a while I get the impression that many of us on here have left FAU and Big dog is right, if any of us went back, it would be a very different experience now.

As a whole, things have definitely changed for the better.

For instance, you may have heard that at least one of the sororities has over 100 members. The president of the prOWLers told me her sorority just inducted ~60 new girls this Fall alone. Greek Life seems to really be taking off. I don't know if any of you Greek alums know how your fraternities are doing but I imagine they're starting to get into the mid to upper double digits as well.

The university is making leaps rather than babysteps because of President Brogan, obviously. He has really been the impetus to all this recent "traditional" development. The BOT have made comments about how you get really excited and motivated just listening to him talk about the future of FAU, which then drives their decisions to, say, approve the stadium. If Brogan wasn't so insistent on the 2010 date, I think we'd be looking at a stadium whenever they got around to it… 2012+.

Back to the top

owlcountry said

duder said

After reading that it seems that FAU had not changed much until very recently.  I graduated in 03, and while some improvements were starting to be made, my experience was very similar to the author's, from the 90's.

As a whole, things have definitely changed for the better.

I started at FAU in 92, and things have DRASTICALLY changed…for all intents and purposes, it's not even recongnizable in some fashions…

The article is good, but it paints, IMO, an inaccurate iamge of FAU at present…remarkably so…and i am not sure whta purpose it was written with given its recent composition?  I know the title, so no need to repeat it, but not "getting it" i guess…

The guy needs to take a trip "home" and produce a sequel.
Back to the top

I don't think my post came across like it was meant to.  I know FAU has changed a lot, but these are recent changes, say from 02 to the present.  I was trying to say that the experiences of the author's years in the 90's and mine 10 years later were similar.  IRT was the only real big change when I started down there and that opened in 01.  Now there has been a lot of change, in a short amount of time, mostly thanks to Pres. Brogan.  When I make it down there the two or three times a year, I don't even recognize campus anymore, which is good, shows me that the school is really growing.  Either way, I had a great time there and I'm glad I'm an owl for life!

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

duder said

I don't think my post came across like it was meant to.  I know FAU has changed a lot, but these are recent changes, say from 02 to the present.  I was trying to say that the experiences of the author's years in the 90's and mine 10 years later were similar.  IRT was the only real big change when I started down there and that opened in 01.  Now there has been a lot of change, in a short amount of time, mostly thanks to Pres. Brogan.  When I make it down there the two or three times a year, I don't even recognize campus anymore, which is good, shows me that the school is really growing.  Either way, I had a great time there and I'm glad I'm an owl for life!

For me, it was the soccer fields being added, and no more Henderson School games…the baseball "b" field not being used for home games anymore…housing got its own office building…the first parking garage went up…SO250 was the latest "addition"….the basketball team got it's first D1 win…the police department moved off of the breezeway across from the cafeteria to it's own building…

Good times :)
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

duder said

For me, it was the soccer fields being added, and no more Henderson School games…the baseball "b" field not being used for home games anymore…housing got its own office building…the first parking garage went up…SO250 was the latest "addition"….the basketball team got it's first D1 win…the police department moved off of the breezeway across from the cafeteria to it's own building…

Good times :)

Oh, the Spaceship (SO 250) was added after the building was originally constructed? I didn't know that. That building has such an interesting history. Brogan told me they built it and then someone went, "Uh, where are the bathrooms?" So that's why the bathrooms are relatively-autonomous structures off to the east side.

I know a lot of people who were upset that they cut down all the ivy growing on the Spaceship… ehhh, now it's painted forest green and has a really nice FAU sign that lights up at night.

A recent UP article talks about how it's a great training ground for traceurs of parkour. Did you guys know we have a budding parkour club?

http://media.www.upressonline.com/media/storage/paper518/news/2008/09/18/CurrentIssue/Jump-Around-3436269.shtml
Back to the top

duder said

I don't think my post came across like it was meant to. 

My comments weren't directed at your post duder…but at the wirters obvious lack of knowedge of the Campus today…

we have crazy things going on!  he left it all out ???

If anyone hasn't seen the new rec center, they need to…it looks great!

owlcountry said

I know a lot of people who were upset that they cut down all the ivy growing on the Spaceship… ehhh, now it's painted forest green and has a really nice FAU sign that lights up at night.

What!?  Haven't been by there in about a year now…did not know that…

That stinks…Only hint of "traditional" University setting we had…oh well!
Back to the top

In praise of an ordinary university

No worries Fl owl.  I haven't been back to campus in about 2 yrs, now.  I bet there is no way I would recognize it.  Last time I was their all the roads were different and I got myself totally lost. ;D

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top
Control functions: