Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Howard has to ...

go…

Yeah, flame me out and call me fairweather and all that, but…..

Howard need to go, or at least he needs to get off the sidelines.

I won't rehash the dozes of reasons why it's obvious that this team was ill-prepared for the season, but there a two major issues right off that are indicative of how poorly coached this team is.

1) The play calling, while peculiar in the past, now is so bizarre it defies logic. I don't even know how to effectively describe the debacle that was the end of the first half, and the end of game strategy (If that's what you call it) was embarrassing.

2) Lack of discipline: The stupid penalties haven't stopped, especially the personal foul garbage that kills drives and/or undermines any attempt to win the field position battle.

I could list about a half dozen more reasons why Howie needs to go, but I'll spare the banality of mentioning the obvious.

No one can take away all he's done to create and advance the program to this point, but he's now inhibiting the program's ability to move to the next level. Let him keep the Head of Football Ops title, let him still do some one-on-one whistle work during the week, whatever.  Get him off the sidelines and out of in-game coaching since it's now obvious that alot of the game has passed him by.
Back to the top

Re: Howard has to go

Well, nobody can argue that the play calling tonight was awful. I don't think there is any way else to say it. Sometimes you do get the feeling that the team is out there on their own with very little direction, but who knows. One thing that did disturb me was the pretty mediocre recruiting class coming after such a good season.
Back to the top

Did you ever think you may have just gotten outplayed?

I mean maybe FAU just didn't have it tonight.

Howard is a legend in the game. He built this program from scratch. Just last year he took FAU, a no name team, to a bowl game and won it. His bizarre play calling got you there. You guys are having a rough start to the season, yeah. But you have played top notch competition…. Texas, Sparty, and while they are not top notch, Minny is definitely an improved team that was looking for revenge.

You cannot just go through one rough start to a season and call for his head. He will step down when he feels it is right. But give the guy a break, he is one hell of a guy and a great coach. I can tell you that Cristobal and his staff have nothing but great things to say about him, and they talk of him in the highest regard.

You cannot deny that you wouldn't even be as successful as you have been, had you been without him. The guy knows how to build a program, and you like FIU are still young. The fact that you set the record for the youngest program to reach and win a bowl game is a testament to his genius.

Back to the top

I think it's becoming clear that he can't take us to the next level the way he did with Miami and Louisville.  If there was any year, this was it.
Back to the top

Howard has to ...

He built the program from the bottom up.

The bottom line is that play calling is the coaches jobs, not ours. And yes, while I disagree with some of the calls, there could be hidden reasons for calling those plays.

I'm not calling for Schnellenberger's job right now, but I wouldn't put it past anyone at the end of the season if we get another loss and a nice, young, fresh, firey coach shows interest in the off season.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

posterchild said

Did you ever think you may have just gotten outplayed?

I mean maybe FAU just didn't have it tonight.

Howard is a legend in the game. He built this program from scratch. Just last year he took FAU, a no name team, to a bowl game and won it. His bizarre play calling got you there. You guys are having a rough start to the season, yeah. But you have played top notch competition…. Texas, Sparty, and while they are not top notch, Minny is definitely an improved team that was looking for revenge.

You cannot just go through one rough start to a season and call for his head. He will step down when he feels it is right. But give the guy a break, he is one hell of a guy and a great coach. I can tell you that Cristobal and his staff have nothing but great things to say about him, and they talk of him in the highest regard.

You cannot deny that you wouldn't even be as successful as you have been, had you been without him. The guy knows how to build a program, and you like FIU are still young. The fact that you set the record for the youngest program to reach and win a bowl game is a testament to his genius.

Oh yeah, I completely agree we got outplayed. Fact is, I'm getting pretty sick of being outplayed every week, especially when 3/4 of the starters returned from last year.

I don't think anyone would deny all that he's done. Like I said, keep him around for fund raising and appearing on campus to do the rah-rah stuff. He's still damn good at that. Just get him off the sidelines.

If you can, step back for a second and try to imagine how much better this team would be performing with a coach other than Howard who has a more modern approach to strategy and play calling. A coach that can maintain consistency week-to-week and has demonstrated the ability to develop game plans against individual opponents that actually draw on our strengths and attempt to exploit the other team's weaknesses.

Even better, just imagine a coach that can keep his team from committing the same stupid mistakes (penalties/drops/turnovers) week in and week out.
Back to the top

Well, I don't think FAU was outplayed at all. Both teams played awful football, with FAU inexplicably losing the game in the last two minutes by not executing anything. This is a team returning almost everybody from last year. A 1-4 start with a completely inexplicable loss to a MTSU (that did everything in their power to hand the game to FAU) is disturbing. The offense looks completely lethargic and undisciplined. That was supposed to be FAU's strength. 
Back to the top

when players keep making the same mistakes over and over it points to one thing and that coaching
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

He built the program from the bottom up.

The bottom line is that play calling is the coaches jobs, not ours. And yes, while I disagree with some of the calls, there could be hidden reasons for calling those plays.

I'm not calling for Schnellenberger's job right now, but I wouldn't put it past anyone at the end of the season if we get another loss and a nice, young, fresh, firey coach shows interest in the off season.

Yeah, I think it's too early to say he's gotta go, but I'm starting to see similarities with Bowden.  The same complacency, bizarre play calling and underachieving players, without a leader among them.  I don't know specifics, but I know when something smells bad, and this is it.  This is a team going nowhere.
Back to the top

Well its still premature to call for his head. Who's to say the next guy will be any better? You're gonna have to take a chance on an unproven guy. An established guy would end up prolly taking a bigger job.
Back to the top
Control functions: