Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Will the real Rusty Smity please stand up...

I'm sure I will get chastised for this comment, but until he proves otherwise I feel that Rusty was a 1 hit wonder. 6 interceptions in his last 2 games. He has 7 INT's this season so far, he had 9 all of last year. I know not all of it is his fault, dropped passes, running wrong routes etc.  He hasn't thrown a TD pass since UAB, I feel like he's forcing the ball to much and he's trying to hard. I just don't see it from him this season he's just not that good. He has a good arm I wish he would stop rolling out on EVERY play and just take 3 steps back and just throw.

Maybe he's hurt?, maybe he was just overrated to begin with?, who knows? I do know that he won't even sniff the NFL if he continues to  play like this. In week 1 it was he did well but we sucked against Texas, in week 2 it was the Rusty we all knew so we thought we'd be OK even though the D stunk up the joint. In week 3 "we didn't bring enough footballs and they were all wet", week 4 "Revenge factor", we couldn't get enough going and Minnesota came ready to play. Well yesterday was week 5 and what's the excuse this time? We should have KILLED MTSU, I know they won but they are NOT a good team by any means. We should have had at least a 21-0 lead over them.

It seems the days of Rusty throwing for 3-5 TD's and posting over 300 yards are done. The days of our offense scoring 35 points in a game are done. The season isn't over just yet but unless they get this figured out within a week it may be real soon. The D can't stop anyone and our offense can't outscore anyone anymore

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: Will the real Rusty Smity please stand up...

Dear wise Owl have you thought about another QB other schools plays two why not us?  Give Van Camp a try!!!

Go Owls
Beat Troy
Back to the top

It's more complicated than that…they put too much on him IMO…need to get more play variety…and more production on defense and special teams…we arent getting the TO's we had lastyear…that's hurting too…
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

It's more complicated than that…they put too much on him IMO…need to get more play variety…and more production on defense and special teams…we arent getting the TO's we had lastyear…that's hurting too…

It's the complete opposite we are turning the ball over like we were making other teams do last year. There was all this hype around Rusty and Polo and returning 21 of the 24 starters… yeah well where have they been? I'm still waiting for them to show up. They have flashes of doing great things during the game, then they turn the ball over or the run the ball get 10 yards but then an illegal formation penalty drives them back to where they keep running the ball and it's 3rd and 15 and what do they do then.. run it again and get 13 yards.. You're up by a TD at this point and there's not much time left……Throw it towards the end zone

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

I'm with ya Jab.  We have basically the same team as last year, and we are doing unbelievably worse.  I'm not talking about our record so far, but overall play.  Interceptions, turnovers, lack of a long passing game.  I don't know what happened since last season, but something changed and it was not for the better.  I really can not think of any reason why we should be playing so bad.  I said it in another post, but even if we would have held on last night, we did not deserve the win.  At the begining of the season I read/heard somewhere that Rusty was trying to concentrate more on staying in the pocket, so maybe his "rythym" is off now or something.  Maybe that was a mistake to try and change his style.  HS said he would not try to change his throwing style becuase he has been using it for soo long, so why change his style of play?  Maybe that is affecting his game.  I really, just don't know.

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

Look, I am not taking anything away from Rusty, he is a good QB! What I am saying is last year he was completing with another QB and that kept Rusty on his toes!  This year with the coaches support he feels comfortable in the QB position knowing he is not going to be benched.  If they give Van Camp a chance and does good then maybe Rusty will know he has to get better or get benched, then maybe we will see the old Rusty make a come back!!!  Competition is good for the team.

Go Owls  Beat Troy
Back to the top

LH said

If they give Van Camp a chance and does good…

Okay, let's look at this proposition…

He has done nothing but throw the ball in the dirt…

Back to the top

I have faith that the rela rusty is still inside there somewhere…..he is rolling out automatically and throwing way to much on the run…..this is not his strong point, he isnt Colt McCoy…..

i dont know if it is that he doesnt trust the line or what the deal is but we need to get Paris back like last week.

Simply put if he continues to play this way we arent going to play in any bowl this year besides the Shula Bowl!
Back to the top

I am not going to debate with you wise owl. I don't see what you saw "Throw in the dirt"  Once Van Camp gets in leave the first string in as well, don't bring in the 2 stringers like before.  You must have never played a sport other than high school.  He was recruited for something. Give the man a chance. What the hell is wrong with you.  Competition is good for the team.
Back to the top

Will the real Rusty Smity please stand up...

LH, as a buccaneer fan, i agree with you competition at all poss. is needed, but not right now for QB.  Rusty is the man and untill we lose another game we cant think about VanCamp or any other player.  If we lose another game (taking us out of the picture for the conference championship), then lets see what everyone can do.
Back to the top
Control functions: