Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Worst Loss in Owls History

Well, I slept on it and woke up and I'm still in shock.  That is the absolute worst way to lose a game.  The defense played a great game for 58 minutes.  The offense sputtered once again.  Too many turnovers.  Too many stupid penalties.  Bad offensive line play.  Bad play calling.  Yet they still had the game won with 9 seconds left.  Unreal.

I can accept losing to BCS teams.  I can accept losing if we get outplayed.  But to lose a game you had in your control for all but the last 9 seconds is nauseating.  Is this the curse of being the SBC favorite rearing it's ugly head?  Sure seems like it.

Not much else I can say…I have no words to describe how much this one stung.

I'm not going nuts and calling for Coach's job.  He's done too much here for us to be calling for his firing after a 1-4 start.  However this loss means that next week is the season.  A loss to Troy next Tuesday and we are toast.  I don't know where our offense went, but they better find it in a hurry.
Back to the top

Re: Worst Loss in Owls History

The last play was a horrible defensive call. There was 9 seconds left. Time for one more play. The pass had to be a long throw. So why did the defensive coordinator put only 3 pass rushers on the line? A short throw wouldn't work. The MTSU QB was able to step back and make the throw with a ton of time. I know it was a hail mary but it would not have been the same throw if he was being chased in the back field by a Dlineman and had to throw on the run.

I don't understand this season. What happened?

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Frantz ran right past him, they sent some of the LBs, watch the video, he stepped up in the pocket and avoided him. The DBs are to blame for that catch…what are the odds like 1 out 20 hail mary's are caught?

Well…they owed us one from 2003
Back to the top

I was very proud of our defense, they stepped up and played a great game.  In the 3rd I got a little worried, because it looked like they were running out of gas, but they got right back in the game.  The 3 or 4 plays we stopped pressureing Craddock gave them the scoring drive that they needed.  I forget the final tally, but up till that point they had like 30 plays on our side of the field with no points, Great job "D"! ;D  The last bit sucked, but it should not have gotten to that point, the offense should have scored at least one more TD, probably 2.

A game like this is the reason the SBC is the bottom of the barrel for college football, way too many stupid mistakes and penalties, on both sides.  Well, on to next week.

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

Hey, at least we didn't give up 77 to Arroz!
Back to the top

I posted on here sometime back that you guys would have more problems this year, becuase you are hunted not the hunter. Also were it not terrible playcalling on MTSU's part they would have been up 10 points or so. Don't get too down you are a young program and remember the only people that get hurt on a rollercoaster are the ones that jump off.  See ya guys Tuesday. GO TROY

Go Troy Go
Back to the top

Hemi said

I posted on here sometime back that you guys would have more problems this year, becuase you are hunted not the hunter. Also were it not terrible playcalling on MTSU's part they would have been up 10 points or so. Don't get too down you are a young program and remember the only people that get hurt on a rollercoaster are the ones that jump off.  See ya guys Tuesday. GO TROY

You can say the same about FAU…if not for turnovers, we would have been up at least 3 scores in the 4th quarter.  It goes both ways.

I don't know if the difference this year has been that we are the hunted so much as that we are turning the ball over way too much.  Last night was so fustrating because it seemed that for much of the game we were one play away from breaking it open and instead shot ourselves in the foot every time and let MTSU hang around. 
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

Hemi said

You can say the same about FAU…if not for turnovers, we would have been up at least 3 scores in the 4th quarter.  It goes both ways.

I don't know if the difference this year has been that we are the hunted so much as that we are turning the ball over way too much.  Last night was so fustrating because it seemed that for much of the game we were one play away from breaking it open and instead shot ourselves in the foot every time and let MTSU hang around.

Their quarterback sneaks were ridiculous. People are more "up"for playing you guys this year. Oh and WOW the dropped passes.

Go Troy Go
Back to the top

With all due respect (not trying to start anything here) I'd have to say that from an outsider's perspective the worst loss I can think of is when FAU lost to FIU 52-6 in 2005. Perhaps this loss to MTSU is the most nationally notable loss in the program's history, but as a Sun Belt fan of almost a decade I'd say the '05 loss was tragic within conference. Granted though, you guys bounced back and they haven't in three years.

Thoughts?

"I thank the gods: they gave to me a dauntless and defiant soul." - William Ernest Henley
Back to the top

Worst Loss in Owls History

I agree with Boh...that loss to FIU was sickening. This loss was hearbreaking and furiating with the play calling. But FIU was just plain sad.
Back to the top
Control functions: