Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Is UNT now the doormat of the SBC?

I am refraining from a poll at this point pending the outcome of the FIU @ UNT game Saturday…

HOWEVER:

0 Wins - 4 Losses

Ranking 120/120

PPG  13.75

PAG  54.75

If they lose this weekend, which i believe they will after last year's tight game, the poll goes up.

FIU is favored by 7…….
Back to the top

Re: Is UNT now the doormat of the SBC?

FIU isn't a bad football team, but I still don't give UNT 7. Maybe 4.

I hope UNT gets better though. The reason is selfish: It will help the FAU v. UNT game become more popular and have more alumni go to Dallas/Denton for the game.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

FIU isn't a bad football team, but I still don't give UNT 7. Maybe 4.

Just an FYI, FIU is favored by 7…….
Back to the top

I think the lack of success that UNT has experienced illustrates the difficulty of moving from highschool Head Coach to College Head Coach. So many people (mostly UNT fans) thought it would be a seemless transition for Dodge. Not quite the case. The game is so different. A highschool team can dominate with a few outstanding players. The talent at the college level is so much more evenly dispersed that the same type of system that works at the highschool level doesn't have success in the college game.

For example: Having 2-3 offensive weapons with legit 4.4 speed on a highschool team is rare and it means that you can really outgun opponents. Having the same number of guys on the field at the college level is so common that the type of system that is built for 'burners' doesn't fit the college game as well especially at a school like UNT where top tier guys are at a real premium. Take that game to Florida, Oklahoma, USC, etc, and you see guys with 4.3 speed who can dominate opponents so the system works.

I guess my point is that Dodge's system worked with top level highschool players, but doesn't translate to mid-level college players. He will not have success until he has the players in place to work in his system.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

I think the lack of success that UNT has experienced illustrates the difficulty of moving from highschool Head Coach to College Head Coach. So many people (mostly UNT fans) thought it would be a seemless transition for Dodge. Not quite the case.

Didn't Notre Dame already prove this with the Gerry Faust experiment?

Those who do not learn from history…
Back to the top

The said

owlfan1 said

I think the lack of success that UNT has experienced illustrates the difficulty of moving from highschool Head Coach to College Head Coach. So many people (mostly UNT fans) thought it would be a seemless transition for Dodge. Not quite the case.

Not sure. A little before my time.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Last year they were at least scoring points.  Against Navy last year didnt they score like 60 and still lose?  This season they cant seem to do anything

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

This season they cant seem to do anything

They do seem to be able to lose…Lol

Not that we are much better  :-\  :'(
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

Last year they were at least scoring points.  Against Navy last year didnt they score like 60 and still lose?  This season they cant seem to do anything

lol sounds like FAU this season
Back to the top

Is UNT now the doormat of the SBC?

owlfan1 said

The said

owlfan1 said

Not sure. A little before my time.

GO OWLS!!!

Faust was hired directly out of Cincinnati's Archbishop Moeller, where he won five state championships, to coach Notre Dame of all places in the early '80s.  He wasn't horrible, but he couldn't make them a winner, and then his contract ran out and he went to Akron, where he wasn't any better.
Back to the top
Control functions: