Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Fan Suggestions!

Fan Suggestions!

Hello Owl Fans!

It appears that some of us have been doing quite a bit of complaining lately.  As game time approaches for our contest against Troy, maybe it’s time for us to think about doing some things to actually help our team out.  I’m only going to suggest 2 things at this point (that are generally agreed upon), which I THOUGHT that our fans had already learned by the end of last year.  Out last home game against UAB made it clear that we had not!

Suggestion #1:  Quiet when FAU is on Offense!  I don’t know what happened at the UAB game.  I loved so many students there.  It was marvelous!  However, they and some other fans were often extremely loud and were even doing chants and cheers when Rusty was “under center” even at that end of the field (esp. at the beginning of the game).  What’s going on over there in the student’s section?  Can’t some of the board members get them to be a little quieter, until after the ball is hiked.

Rusty calls out signals at the line so everyone knows when the ball will be snapped as well as which formation everyone should be in when it is hiked.  He also often tries to “audible” at the line to change the play.  Our players need to be able to hear him.  This (and the below) is the key to what is known as “Home Field Advantage”: We, the home team fans, attempt to control the noise level at the game.

Suggestion #2:  Stand and be loud when FAU is on defense!  The reverse logic applies when we are on defense.  We can hinder the opposing team’s offense.  One of the most impressive things to see at the TX game was ALL 95,000 Texas Fans (almost all in orange) standing and being loud whenever FAU was on offense.  The same thing happened at MSU; even in the rain!  In fact, at TX, I believe we had the ball past the 50 yard line three times in the first quarter and because of miscues, influenced at least partially by all the noise, we were only able to score a field goal.  Fans (can) matter!  (Also, both TX and MSU’s fans were very quiet when their team had the ball.)

I guess I admonished the students, might as well give the faculty a turn:  What’s going on over there on the faculty side of the field?  Everyone appears to be sitting on their hands.  Lack of fan participation when we are on defense will help give Troy a trip to New Orleans.  To use a specific well known example, this is what the TX Aggies refer to as “The 12th Man”.  It is one of the main reasons that the home field team has the advantage.  I believe we fans will need to stand and be loud when we are on defense to beat Troy!

IMHO, no one should get mad at anyone standing in front of them and cheering (in a sportsman like manner) when the opposing team is on offense, especially when they get close to and/or have crossed the 50 yard line.  That’s to our advantage.  FAU fans can help win games!

GO OWLS!!!!
Back to the top

Re: Fan Suggestions!

Good suggestions and way to keep it positive depsite the resounding air of negativity.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

I could be wrong, (It's happened once or twice lol) but I'm guessing everyone on this board who is reading this already knows the 2 rules. I agree with you about the rules and when I sat in the student section last year you'd get a Let's Go Owls chant on 3rd and 5 in our own zone and we were trying to get everyone to quiet down but a lot of people don't understand and just want to make a lot of noise and the rest are so drunk they don't care lol

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

or the people trying to start an "OFF-Fence" chant!!!  ;D some just have no clue
Back to the top

I suggest turning around and calling up those who are seated when there is a big 3rd down, kick, etc....

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

I haven't been to a game yet this year and don't recall from the home games last year, but do we have cheerleaders?  The reason I ask is that it would be perfect for them to hold up sings in front of the stands saying MAKE NOISE or QUIET… OWLS ON THE HUNT!
Back to the top

hdaddy said

do we have cheerleaders? 

http://fausports.cstv.com/spirit/fau-spirit.html

AEA
Go play Intramural Sports! www.fau.edu/campusrec/imsports/
Back to the top

FAUtuba said

hdaddy said

do we have cheerleaders?