Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

3 of our losses = LEGIT

Michigan State is legit - 5-1
Texas is legit - 4-0 (may move to 5-0 tonight)
Minnesota is legit - 5-1

So basically we had 3 teams that we had to go up against, all in the beginning of the season to destroy our confidence, and then we lose on a hail mary to a team that beat Maryland (4-1 with wins over Cal and Clemson).

I say lets call it 1-1, go into the Sun Belt and show them what we are made of, go to the New Orleans Bowl and beat up on whoever the CUSA has to give us.

GO OWLS!

P.S. To whoever schedules our games…can we please have our rough games dispersed more evenly throughout the year (like last year)?

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

Re: 3 of our losses = LEGIT

3 of our losses = LEGIT

And don't forget the other loss was "divine intervention". I will feel better ONLY if we beat Troy !
Back to the top

FAUFBL said

And don't forget the other loss was "divine intervention". I will feel better ONLY if we beat Troy !

Yeah, god apparently hates repeats in the sunbelt.  ;D
Back to the top

From what history tells us, we will be co-champs and miss a bowl.

2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

Michigan State is legit - 5-1
Texas is legit - 4-0 (may move to 5-0 tonight)
Minnesota is legit - 5-1

So basically we had 3 teams that we had to go up against, all in the beginning of the season to destroy our confidence, and then we lose on a hail mary to a team that beat Maryland (4-1 with wins over Cal and Clemson).

I say lets call it 1-1, go into the Sun Belt and show them what we are made of, go to the New Orleans Bowl and beat up on whoever the CUSA has to give us.

GO OWLS!

P.S. To whoever schedules our games…can we please have our rough games dispersed more evenly throughout the year (like last year)?

You are better off taking your lumps at the beginning of the season rather than during your conference schedule.

Go Troy Go
Back to the top

FAUFBL said

Divine?  If I had a guess, I think He'd say "Don't blame me, I didn't tell you to rush six."
Back to the top

What does it matter if the losses were to legit teams or not? They were losses that prove that you are not with the big boys yet. I guess we could say that FIU is now 2-0 by your logic. Does it mean that FAU is not a legit team? It isn't like you lost a ton of guys. They just outdid themselves last year, and are being exposed this year. I don't think that you playing Texas, MSU and Minny (who I am sorry to say is still not a great team, even by B10 standards) means you can wipe them off. I don't really care what you call the loss, it is what it is. A loss. I am not saying FIU would have fared better if we played your schedule, but it just seems you were a little spoiled from last year and need to be brought down to earth.

Like was said previously it is better to take the lumps in the beginning of the season, and win your games in the conference. This is going to be another interesting year in the SBC.

Good luck against Troy, it should be an interesting match up.
Back to the top

I disagree completely that it is better to take our lumps in the beginning of the season.  Last year was a success because we never dipped below .500 with scheduling that dispersed our OOC games throughout the season. With the current setup we need a win streak to even get back to .500

The only difference between FIU and FAU were expectations.  FAU thought it could compete with BCS teams, it probably didnt think it could compete with "legit" teams that start the year 5-0 or 5-1, these such teams.  We expected Minny and Michigan State to be somewhat less legit than they turned out to be.  So when you ask if I consider FIU to essentially be 2-0, the answer is yes because the teams they played were also legit, but again with no expectations of victory.

The Sun Belt has great parity, FIU looks good, they are playing confident and just put up big numbers on NT to give them more confidence.  The next few weeks will be telling , but I think they may be a dark horse for SB champions, I just have that feeling.  It may even come down to our rivalry game, which to be honest, would be awesome for both teams.

Back to the top

It one thing to work hard and find success, it's another thing to learn how to win once you have achieved that success and maintain it.  You have to work even harder & the players are starting to find that out - the hard way.

It has nothing to do with overachieving, last year this team worked hard & got some good breaks along the way (hard work tends to make the good break happen) this year the breaks are not happening because they have not worked as hard & their confidence has been dampened a bit.

These are the same players with the same potential, now they have to start working as a team, something they did last year and something that has been a bit elusive this year.  There is a fine line that this team is walking right now and it just a matter of them starting doing the little things better & in doing so they can turn it around quickly and have the season they hoped to have.

The schedule is what it is, you know before the season starts what you will be facing, its up to you to prepare yourself to handle it & the players have not done a good job so far. 
Back to the top

While it is never good to play catchup, it is better to lose 2 ooc game than it is to lose 2 conference games. That is all I was saying.

FIU is definitely going to get a test over the next couple of weeks. MTSU at home then @ Troy. Two teams that have proven themselves to be worthy opponents in any conference. MTSU has a solid D and Troy's offense is as good as they come in the SBC.
Back to the top
Control functions: