Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

How to become a Tier 1 university, from an article about UNT

Add topic

http://www.star-telegram.com/arlington_news/story/952994.html

An institution typically achieves Tier 1 status by spending more than $100 million a year on research; offering doctorate degrees in at least 50 academic areas; doing well in national rankings, such as U.S. News & World Report’s America’s Best Colleges report; and being a member of the Association of American Universities, the club for the 62 leading research institutions in the United States and Canada.

The article talks about how several universities, including UNT, are "are in a high-stakes race [to become Tier 1] that could lead to hundreds of millions of dollars and thousands of jobs for the region."
Back to the top

Re: How to become a Tier 1 university, from an article about UNT

Well with our position of research for Ocean based renewable energy and climate change hazard mitigation, I think we can hit the research dollar target.  We would need to expand alot on PhD programs though.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

We only offer 19 doctoral degrees right now. However, we have a big incentive to reach $100-million in sponsored research: the state will allow FAU to charge a tuition differential.

I'm not sure what our sponsored research funding is right now, but we're currently looking for a new VP for research.
Back to the top

Lm77 said

We only offer 19 doctoral degrees right now. However, we have a big incentive to reach $100-million in sponsored research: the state will allow FAU to charge a tuition differential.

I'm not sure what our sponsored research funding is right now, but we're currently looking for a new VP for research.

I think I heard Brogan say $92Mil in his State of the University address. I'm not sure if that is where I heard it or not but I'm pretty sure about the amount as of last year.

With Scripps comming on line and now Max Planck moving in as well as Torry Pines, research should only increase. I don't see it not happening unless the economy tanks so bad everyone and everything suffers.

I haven't seen an annual report from the foundation. Anyone have an idea of how the endowment has done in spite of the crazy market?

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Lm77 said

Exactly. Tuition differential will definitely help. FAU has under 1,700 faculty to pursue research. UF has about 4,500. So it's no surprise who generates more research, is it?

Anyway, we should hit $100 million sometime in the next three years, I'd expect. We're so close and soon all these biotech affiliations should start paying off.

According to thre Graduate College website (

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

http://www.fau.edu/graduate/programs.php), we offer 22 doctoral level programs. That's still 28 shy of Tier 1 status… so that looks to be the farthest goal for us. Probably 10-20 years. I think there are a couple of PhD programs (Bioengineering, Geomatics, etc) that are going to be available in the next couple of years… that's a start.

Regarding the Association of American Universities (from Wikipedia):

AAU membership is by invitation only, which requires an affirmative vote of three-fourths of current members. Invitations are considered periodically, based in part on an assessment of the breadth and quality of university programs of research and graduate education, as well as undergraduate education.

It shows UF as being admitted in 1985. It doesn't show FSU… huh.
Back to the top

Yeh FSU is dying to get into that…and they have alot of research..National Magnetic Lab, discovered Cancer drug, but can't get in to AAU….and now with the budget decreases they are hemorrhaging faculty so that goal may not be coming anytime soon.

2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

How to become a Tier 1 university, from an article about UNT

SeminOWL2006 said

Yeh FSU is dying to get into that…and they have alot of research..National Magnetic Lab, discovered Cancer drug, but can't get in to AAU….and now with the budget decreases they are hemorrhaging faculty so that goal may not be coming anytime soon.

What's their issue…?
Back to the top

Why couldnt they get it? I really don't know, I guess they needed a certain number of distinguished professors in their respective Academies and endowed chairs etc, but now with budget cuts alot of the older Professors are either retiring or leaving.

In the Urban Planning department the Chair left for Iowa, another long time Prof left to Georgia Tech, and another is considering retiring…Meanwhile at the Geography department they have also lost alot.  Apparently when the chair over there went to the Dean of the College to tell him that he had an offer (in the hope of receiving a counter-offer) the Dean just said the proverbial "don't let the door hit you in the @$$".  The school is so strapped they can't make counter offers and other states are seeing it as opportunities to cherry pick good Professors.

Back to the top

Lets just work on getting out of the 4th tier before we worry about hanging with the Harvards of the world.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

We don't have to hang with Harvard, just with UF…I don't think anyone can hang with Harvard.

Back to the top
Control functions: